Mitchell Pearce

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Pepi

Bencher
Apparently one of our sponsors had a secret meeting with him during the week, about joining us after Orford goes.
Was a Danny Weidler scoop though.

Thoughts?

My money is on Todd Carney for 2010, although his alleged exploits on the weekend may be just one indiscretion to many.

Pepi link said:
Apparently one of our sponsors had a secret meeting with him during the week, about joining us after Orford goes.
Was a Danny Weidler scoop though.

Thoughts?

he may have been discussing on buying Property From Max
he may have been discussing on buying a truck from Mack trucks
booking a flight to Macau
buying a spa bath from artic spas
Ordering some Jim Beam
applying for a Bartercard
etc

I am not sure I rate him. He was nowhere near ready for Origin. He may develop as there exists potential. Good to hear that the club is looking to the future, even in the week after a victory.

Hope not. I don't want us to become a one dimensional team who relies on kicks to get us home. However, I also probably wouldn't want Carney either considering how he keeps screwing himself over with incident after incident, unless he matures HEAPS whilst over in England.

Hoping for one of Cherry-Evans, Hodgkinson or even Foran as our next half, it'll save us quite a bit of dough.

Michael Monaghan anyone??? ???

agree with Downie, one of Cherry-Evans or Hodgkinson.

I rate Pearce. I make no secret of it. He's 19 (to put it into perspective, he is 2 months younger than Daly Cherry Evans). And look at how much he improved after ONE season of decent coaching? (I'm not sold on Freddy as a team coach, but you can't doubt the man's experience, instincts and footy brains, which would be the keys to helping a teenage halfback like Pearce).

The kid has got massive, MASSIVE potential. Defensively he improved a sh*tload this year, and he's proven that he is tough. Two key factors in why I rate him.

Attack wise he still has a way to go, but there is no rookie halfback in the world who has the ball on a string straight away. His kicking game this year was drastically improved on 2007 - sure the Roosters struggled in the finals, but I think they were punching above their weight this year. Pearce IS an Origin halfback. He probably should have been held back another year (or even two), but he has the potential to be the NSW half for the next decade if he plays to his potential.

That said, I don't think anything of this report. I remember I saw his dad around the Corso last year (Mitchell may have even been with him, I can't remember) and thought whether it had anything to do with Mitchell coming to Manly....but now I'm just starting to think that maybe Pearcey lives over on the beaches with all of his fellow rugby league commentators (Brandy, Joey etc)

I know that Manly chased pearce extremely hard before he decided to join the roosters - apparantly opart of his decsion was because he didn't want to wait a couple of years in reserve grade behind orford. 

It wouldn't surprise me if we chased him again to replace orford.  He would have a better chance of a premiership ring with us than with the transit lounge. 

willstyles link said:
but now I'm just starting to think that maybe Pearcey lives over on the beaches with all of his fellow rugby league commentators (Brandy, Joey etc)

St Ives

I do not rate Pearce, although that is because everyone whacked over him all season and he did not deserve a Origin berth.  He definately has potential, he is only 19 after all and if our coaching staff were after him, well that is enough for me.

Sea Eagles deny rumours of ownership change and bid to lure Pearce

Andrew Webster and Glenn Jackson | October 10, 2008

THE businessman who made an audacious attempt to buy a significant stake in NRL premiers Manly this season held a secret meeting with Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce last month about enticing him to the club.

Just days after Sea Eagles owners Max Delmege and Scott Penn were lauded for helping the club win the premiership, it has emerged that businessman Robert Melhem wants a slice of the action.

Pearce's manager Mike Newton is understood to be close to Melhem, who is friends with former captain Ben Kennedy and has been celebrating with Sea Eagles players since their grand final victory over the Storm on Sunday.

News of the meeting has infuriated the premiers as much as the Roosters, with angry Manly chief executive Grant Mayer denying the club wanted Pearce or that the club's ownership structure would be changing.

"Mitchell Pearce is not coming to this club," Mayer said. "I can guarantee this club will continue under the present ownership structure of Max Delmege and Scott Penn.

"We had an approach from a third party during the season, and he made a presentation to the board. When a club has been successful like ours has, people see it as an opportunity.

"But the ownership structure of the club is not going to change given the work they [Delmege and Penn] have done in securing the club financially."

Delmege said: "The last thing we need is for Robert Melhem to be involved. Why would we change the structure of the club now that we've been so successful? We're not interested in Mitchell Pearce. I'd know."

Pearce, who was named the Roosters' player of the year on Wednesday night, has another two years to run on his contract.

Channel Nine reported last night that Roosters coach Brad Fittler fronted Pearce about the meeting but the Herald has been told Pearce informed his coach about the meeting the following morning.

Newton emphatically denied Pearce wanted out of the club, where he shot to prominence this year, leading to his State of Origin debut for NSW in game three.

"It's categorically incorrect," Newton said. "He's happy at the club. He's totally content, totally at ease. He's happy with Freddy, happy in the environment, and happy with the group of players."

The player manager confirmed he had introduced Pearce to Melhem before Pearce's sister's 21st birthday but downplayed its significance.

"Me and Mitchell had a beer with a bloke who's a former sponsor of Manly before Mitchell attended his sister's 21st," Newton said. "I haven't spoken to [Manly football manager] Steve Gigg, I haven't spoken to Grant Mayer, I haven't spoken to Des Hasler.

"This happened six or eight weeks ago, and it's insignificant. He's not even a [current] sponsor. He has no official capacity with Manly. He's a personal friend of mine. We had a beer. It was literally one beer."

Pearce is understood to be on holidays with his father, former international Wayne Pearce, and could not be contacted, while Melhem was not immediately available for comment last night.

Delmege and Penn have widely been acknowledged as the saviours of the club after the failed merger with North Sydney under the banner of the Northern Eagles had it on the brink of collapse.

Mayer said he was angry about the revelations of Melhem's involvement because it again cast Manly as a mercenary chasing the game's elite.

"All I can say is here we go again," he said.

Meanwhile, Greg Bird's suspension from Cronulla will extend into the pre-season after his court case over an alleged assault on his girlfriend was adjourned until November 20, three days after his Sharks teammates are due to return to training.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
Meanwhile, Greg Bird's suspension from Cronulla will extend into the pre-season after his court case over an alleged assault on his girlfriend was adjourned until November 20, three days after his Sharks teammates are due to return to training.
Birdie looked like a smug arsehole outside the couts yesterday. He is in the Carney class all right.

I don't want Carney and am yet to be convinced on Pearce, but he is tough.

I don't rate Pearce.  He got to where he got on the back of his dad and Fox commentators talking him up, surprise, surprise.  Develop our own to replace Ox in a couple of years.  I think his defence is suss and as one blogger stated all he seems to have is a kick, easily defended.  He can stay at the transit lounge and get whacked for mine.  I would never take someone from the Rorters, full stop.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6