Mistakes in online sport journalism

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Journalism these days just consists of reproducing tweets and facebook messages doesn't it ?? The standard for what constitutes a "story" these days is appalling.
This is what gets me....the amount of crap that gets "produced". If you ever want proof just have a look through some of the old threads linking us to certain players etc

The other method I love is they produce a story consisting of anecdotal evidence, facebook pages and tweets. Let's say it's about a person 'X' or company 'Y' doing something, of course the story is hastily compiled in order to get it out there "first" as this is the most important thing these days. Then in a pathetic attempt at legitimacy they'll footnote the story with "Person X or Company Y has been contacted for comment" to give the impression that they have actually checked the facts. LOL, I bet the subject of the story was attempted to be contacted about 1 nanosecond before the article was uploaded. Of course by the time Person X or Company Y does reply the article is long lost in the sea of articles been posted in the interim.....long lost along with the truth no doubt.

It's funny, journalism used to be considered a reputable profession, a highly regarded one no less. These days it's probably up there with real estate agent and used car salesman in terms of credibility.

A pet peeve for me is radio 'newsreaders' on sport-centric radio stations who only have to read out about 5 lines and don't bother to check the pronunciation for pretty well-known players.

I say 'newsreaders' as they sound like pretty junior work experience types, not sure where they've come from actually.

10561719_10153255243132747_8279694081890797919_n.jpg

In today's NT News, Police charged people involved in an Ice ring, one of which was Joel Romelo. But, he's referred to as "former NRL player...".
(Yes, former! Not now!)
In an AFL town, it's bad for RL.

My pet peeve is the proliferation of quoting ridiculous time frames in an attempt to give some perspective to a story (on the correct assumption that most people are incapable of doing so themselves).

Coldest day for a month.
Hottest May day in a week.
Ist win at Leichhardt oval in 5 years (haven't played there for 4)
Youngest player to play for city since last year.
Most rain in 3 years.

If there's an accident or extreme weather conditions, the TV newsreader will report on what's happening, then cross live... to some poor bastard getting soaked in the rain, telling us the exact same thing.
They think we won't believe them unless there's someone on the scene.

If there's an accident or extreme weather conditions, the TV newsreader will report on what's happening, then cross live... to some poor bastard getting soaked in the rain, telling us the exact same thing.
They think we won't believe them unless there's someone on the scene.

well, I wouldn't.

Then, at the end of each story they have a memory lapse & have to remind themselves who they are & who they work for.
Eg-"Peter Harvey...National 9 News..."
Yes, I know who you are & the channel I'm watching.

In today's NT News, Police charged people involved in an Ice ring, one of which was Joel Romelo. But, he's referred to as "former NRL player...".
(Yes, former! Not now!)
In an AFL town, it's bad for RL.

In Sydney that would be "NRL STAR BUSTED IN MASSIVE DRUG RING, BUZZ BLOGS LIVE..." sandwiched between reproduced (for the tenth time this year) "THINGS NOT TO SAY TO A FLIGHT ATTENDANT EVER!" and "CONFESSIONS OF A HOTEL CLEANER" articles, the latter all based around a trending post on reddit about someone finding a stray pube on their sheets when checking in.

Whilst we lament the down slide in the standards of journalism in general; we seem to quote the nrl mole and the lurker a lot whom I would assume are at the bottom of the journalistic scale!

Umm...

lol @ parra

(snake scales...not balance scales!)

Last edited:
In Sydney that would be "NRL STAR BUSTED IN MASSIVE DRUG RING, BUZZ BLOGS LIVE..." sandwiched between reproduced (for the tenth time this year) "THINGS NOT TO SAY TO A FLIGHT ATTENDANT EVER!" and "CONFESSIONS OF A HOTEL CLEANER" articles, the latter all based around a trending post on reddit about someone finding a stray pube on their sheets when checking in.

You beat me to it with the "star" comment.

Liam Knight is an NRL star.

Even better he is a Manly NRL star.

Any Manly connection will usually make the headline too.

For example "former Manly NRL star Craig Field"...

A pet peeve for me is radio 'newsreaders' on sport-centric radio stations who only have to read out about 5 lines and don't bother to check the pronunciation for pretty well-known players.

I say 'newsreaders' as they sound like pretty junior work experience types, not sure where they've come from actually.

For some reason or other, we were inundated with Canadian news readers on our local stations here at one point. Hopeless! Couldn't be bothered to learn the pronunciation of local people, town names, rivers, sports teams etc. In general I find Canadians painful to listen to, but trying to decipher a news bulletin, annoying at best.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4