Missing in action (MIA)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A quick question (and a serious one) in what way is this place sanitised?
It's a good question. I can't point to specific examples, it's more I recall having great long arguments which could get heated in earlier days (especially on the old MWSE forums) and now it all seems rather tame. Maybe that's a better word. With respect Mark, I do enjoy reading your posts.

It's a good question. I can't point to specific examples, it's more I recall having great long arguments which could get heated in earlier days (especially on the old MWSE forums) and now it all seems rather tame. Maybe that's a better word. With respect Mark, I do enjoy reading your posts.

Sanitised implies intervention, presumably by the mods.

that rarely happens, with the exception of legal implications i cant think of any threads I personally have shut down or "sanitised" and there has been some disgraceful stuff posted regarding long term players as well as attacks on other posters.

but I take your point regarding tameness, I suspect that its because many of those capable of a thought out "robust" argument simply gave up dealing with the large amount of garbage, thus leaving the monkeys running the zoo.

Tame is a fair way to put it. To be honest I feel somewhat the same as having a differing point of view used to be respected here and somewhat encouraged.
I can only speak for myself but I am more reluctant to post that I used to be knowing what the response from some is

Sanitised implies intervention, presumably by the mods.

that rarely happens, with the exception of legal implications i cant think of any threads I personally have shut down or "sanitised" and there has been some disgraceful stuff posted regarding long term players as well as attacks on other posters.

but I take your point regarding tameness, I suspect that its because many of those capable of a thought out "robust" argument simply gave up dealing with the large amount of garbage, thus leaving the monkeys running the zoo.

I do remember a while back where I did edit a few threads (delete a lot of posts) once in a while where they were full of pages and pages of off topic argumentative garbage that you would have to wade through to try to get to the on topic subject. Maybe that is what he is talking about.

The only thread that I can think of that is regularly sanitised now (posts deleted) is the '2016 Rumoured and confirmed signings' thread to keep it solely on topic with no discussion.

So, why don't the mods on here delete posts and the posters of them that are nothing more than personal attacks on other members? Where is the line drawn between not wanting to appear "too PC" and simply using your moderator power (LOL), for it's intended purpose?

I realise that as mods, your number one priority is to protect the site from legal implications, but do you guys ever feel the need to chip the trolls and bullies that crop up here from time to time, or does that decision come down to the person you are, away from here? What I mean is, do you not ever feel the need to help out a member that is clearly being belted for no particular reason, other than they cannot express themselves clearly, and therefore defend themselves on here?

If I'm walking down the street, and see someone being bullied, intimidated or belted, I always stop and watch. And I do it as obviously as I can to make sure the bully knows I am there, and I don't like what I'm seeing. This usually calms the situation right down. If I was a moderator on here, I'd do the same.

The more members for the site, the better. But if you don't want to ban an obvious troll or bully, for fear of losing a member, there's a good chance you will lose one anyway. The victim. So why not keep both by intervening??

It's fine to tell people (victims) to just harden up and stop with the PC crap, but guess what? It's also fine to stomp on loud mouth trolls and bullies too!

The old differing opinions angle.

Could not agree with you more @Isz , nothing peeves me off more than some who come on here with personal attacks because they don't agree with what someone has posted.

I might have a different view to you about something but I never stoop to an insult to get my differing opinion over.

I was king of the debating team all through high school ( albeit 45 years ago) and one thing I learnt was there will always be differing opinions, and despite what you think yours may not necessarily be right ( or wrong).

The old MWSE forum was heavily sanitised, I felt for Aaron Markie who ran it , he had ZtH looking over his shoulder the whole time.

I suggested to ZtH at the time ( yes we did used to speak on occasions ) that Aaron appoint a number of Mods, his reaction was to close it up!!

So, why don't the mods on here delete posts and the posters of them that are nothing more than personal attacks on other members? Where is the line drawn between not wanting to appear "too PC" and simply using your moderator power (LOL), for it's intended purpose?

I realise that as mods, your number one priority is to protect the site from legal implications, but do you guys ever feel the need to chip the trolls and bullies that crop up here from time to time, or does that decision come down to the person you are, away from here? What I mean is, do you not ever feel the need to help out a member that is clearly being belted for no particular reason, other than they cannot express themselves clearly, and therefore defend themselves on here?

generally if no lines are crossed the posts are left, and by lines I mean race etc.

if its constant a warning is sent to the offender, and people have been banned for constant attacks.

the issue is as mark (i think) says, if opinions differ what is over the top to one is run of the mill to another.

if every attack, perceived or otherwise was deleted, the mods would have no time for actual lives, and the forum would be a very boring place.

generally if no lines are crossed the posts are left, and by lines I mean race etc.

if its constant a warning is sent to the offender, and people have been banned for constant attacks.

the issue is as mark (i think) says, if opinions differ what is over the top to one is run of the mill to another.

if every attack, perceived or otherwise was deleted, the mods would have no time for actual lives, and the forum would be a very boring place.

Perception rules supreme!

As a moderator, do you expect more respect from members? If someone attacks you, once off, and is what you yourself would consider NOT run of the mill behaviour, would you use your mod abilities to cane them, or would you let it slide? Members have no power and if they can't defend themselves, they must simply cop it sweet or leave. By the way, I hate the old "it's only humour" shield too.

You can see that when two members have a go at each other and things get heated, if no one is there to intervene, the gutter is usually the place it ends up, which is embarrassing for the site and its visitors. The lack of respect shown by some posters here at times is woeful. It is also a big "screw you!" to Dan, IMO.

The mods should get respect and enforce their powers where and when necessary, otherwise chaos reigns and the loonies seem to be in control.

But, that's just how I perceive it. lol

Thankfully it isn't too regular of an occurrence.

Also......it's good to see you here a bit more @Fro!

I rarely see arguments on here any more that are worth following. You used to see two (or more) posters with differing opinions present their argument and then back it up with facts and reasoning. Now arguments are accompanied by name calling, insults and troll ratings. I actually had a break from the site for a few weeks earlier this year (apart from activating the MVP voting) due to all the negative posts and constant insults thrown up in virtually every thread. You couldn't escape it. So rather be depressed or upset about it, I just left. It's been a bit better the last couple of weeks since I've been back, maybe that's due to the form of the team turning around a bit, I don't know.

As a moderator, do you expect more respect from members? If someone attacks you, once off, and is what you yourself would consider NOT run of the mill behaviour, would you use your mod abilities to cane them, or would you let it slide? Members have no power and if they can't defend themselves, they must simply cop it sweet or leave. By the way, I hate the old "it's only humour" shield too.

You can see that when two members have a go at each other and things get heated, if no one is there to intervene, the gutter is usually the place it ends up, which is embarrassing for the site and its visitors. The lack of respect shown by some posters here at times is woeful. It is also a big "screw you!" to Dan, IMO.

The mods should get respect and enforce their powers where and when necessary, otherwise chaos reigns and the loonies seem to be in control.

If someone wants to get snippy with me it doesn't worry me a great deal so i don't recall ever deleting a post aimed at me specifically.

I respect any one here who deserve it, which equals everyone apart from those that i consider idiots (and that's not a short list lol) but i dont censor the fools simply because i consider them such.

Respect is in very short supply, and you mention @Dan by name, and he does deserve a lot better than he generally receives on here. a more giving bloke you would not meet.

Mate it's the old "can't please all the people all of the time" routine. We more or less came to an agreement that the site would have minimum intervention because of the constant whining by the free speech advocates and those that see any moderation of their posts as censorship. So apart from legal/racist/homophobic/personal attack posts we very rarely intervene as that is the overwhelming vibe we received (maybe from the noisy minority). I do laugh sometimes about those who advocate freedom of speech being some of the first to whinge about trolls from other teams being dealt with summarily - it's the old more equal than others argument.

As for the temptation to use our moderation powers to fight personal battles - believe me when I say it is a daily battle not to issue some bannings for those that p### me off @:p...unfortunately it doesn't work that way. As for expecting more respect from others for being a moderator ? not in the least - happy to be treated like everyone else on here, but I can tell you the opposite is actually what I have found.....but that is a pretty accurate reflection of society in my experience, especially the online society we now live in.

I will say one thing that is very helpful to us, and that is the "report post" function. The only way we can get a feel for what is the majority view and general tolerance level on this site is by users reporting posts they deem unacceptable or offensive. The "report post" function is completely anonymous and only the moderator group can see who has reported what. If you feel a post has crossed a line then report it. There is no guarantee we will act on every post reported, but it does build up a history of what the majority of users are willing to accept and gives us a better feel for when we should intervene or repeat offenders etc. Also it 100% goes without saying that if any poster feels bullied or intimidated by another then please report the post and it will be looked at. The moderators clearly do not have the time to check every post in every thread so "report post" gives us a quick heads up.

Obviously it is also up to the Silvertails community in general to set the standards as to how they want this site to run. It's not up to us to impose our life views on everyone. Challenge the bullies, call out the tools, don't feed the trolls....set the standard.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4