Million-dollar man

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Million-dollar man

John Greco

29 February 2008
http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/02/29/8982_sports.html

AUSTRALIAN fullback Brett Stewart is set to sign a long-term deal with the Sea Eagles which will see him join the leading money earners in the game.

The rugby league cleanskin is close to signing a deal worth $1.5 million to $1.75 million over four years.

The Manly Daily understands Stewart is on the verge of re-signing, possibly over the weekend.

Third party arrangements and "special conditions" within his contract and final approval by the NRL are delaying the Wollongong junior signing the lucrative deal. Stewart's manager George Mimis confirmed with the Daily last night the deal would see Stewart be among the "top one per cent" earners in rugby league.

"We have put a lot of work into this and are still negotiating," Mimis said.

"It's been frustrating, but it (the contract) would put him in the top one per cent of the game." Mimis said it would be "highly unlikely" if the deal fell through after months of negotiations. "It's highly unlikely, but you never say never," he said.

Manly CEO Grant Mayer said Stewart's off-field marketability increases his value.

"He's future is massive," Mayer said on the eve of tonight's NRL trial between Manly and the Warriors in Caloundra.

"He's a cleanskin and popular with everyone. He's been a tremendous asset to the club, on and off the field and a genuine role model for the game. Whenever you read about footballers misbehaving, you can rest assured Brett Stewart is tucked up in bed."

Stewart will not play in tonight's trial against the Warriors as he continues to recover from off-season knee surgery.

Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler indicated hookers Matt Ballin and Heath L'Estrange would get similar game time as they both push for the starting role in the season opener against the Sharks.

"Both of them have been training really well and it's going to be a tough choice," Hasler said.

"It's our last dress rehearsal before the comp starts and there's still a few combinations we have to work on."

Only Stewart and New Zealand centre Steve Matai will miss tonight's trial as they recover from surgery.

Prop Jason King and five-eighth Jamie Lyon will play after missing the Melbourne game a fortnight ago through suspension.

He's a great player, but the price is just ridiculous. He doesn't have the natural talent of the Inglis's & Bowens, doesn't have the bring back tenacity of the Hunts & co.

He's fast, and that's his major weapon. It's not like he's a special ball handler or anything. I certainly hope The Eagles aren't giving away the shop for him.

He'll be being paid more than Minichello, by a long way. Both fully fit, is he worth that.

Minichello was quoted in the paper as earning somewhere in the vicinity of $200kp.a.

I know I'll cop flack for this, but we need to weigh up cost for value to make sure we are strong across the park.

Hell, given a full off season training in the spot, Robertson could probably do the job.

Mini at 200k? Having a laugh, surely. He might've been on that when he first moved from the wing to fullback, but he's a former "best player in the world" and injury-free he's probably still the first choice fullback for any rep team in the world. He'd be 350k minimum without a doubt, otherwise he's being massively shortchanged.

Based on 2006/07 I would go as far as saying Stewie is more integral to our attack than either Lyon or Ox, both of whom earn considerably more than 400k.

Sure he has speed, but his slight of hand shown in 2007 highlighted his playmaking skills - and his defensive positioning at fullback has improved an unbelievable amount since his debut. Don't underestimate his value when you think about how stingy the Manly defence has been.

I agree with Ryan.

The NSW/Australian/Country/Manly Fullback?Leading Try scorer/absolute freak/great bloke should **** off.

willstyles link said:
Mini at 200k? Having a laugh, surely. He might've been on that when he first moved from the wing to fullback, but he's a former \"best player in the world\" and injury-free he's probably still the first choice fullback for any rep team in the world. He'd be 350k minimum without a doubt, otherwise he's being massively shortchanged.

Based on 2006/07 I would go as far as saying Stewie is more integral to our attack than either Lyon or Ox, both of whom earn considerably more than 400k.

Sure he has speed, but his slight of hand shown in 2007 highlighted his playmaking skills - and his defensive positioning at fullback has improved an unbelievable amount since his debut. Don't underestimate his value when you think about how stingy the Manly defence has been.

Could be right...that article I read was 05/06 I think. Plus he mighted have been weighted so the Roosters tayed under the cap (if they actually DO stay under the cap of coarse).

Flip link said:
I agree with Ryan.

The NSW/Australian/Country/Manly Fullback?Leading Try scorer/absolute freak/great bloke should F**k off.

LoL - I'm not saying that. I'm saying don't give the shop away for the guy. I'm sure they are probably not anyways, but $450k per season or whatever? Jee-Wizz.

Ryan link said:
[quote author=willstyles link=topic=176988.msg178603#msg178603 date=1204245173]
Mini at 200k? Having a laugh, surely. He might've been on that when he first moved from the wing to fullback, but he's a former \"best player in the world\" and injury-free he's probably still the first choice fullback for any rep team in the world. He'd be 350k minimum without a doubt, otherwise he's being massively shortchanged.

Could be right...that article I read was 05/06 I think. Plus he mighted have been weighted so the Roosters tayed under the cap (if they actually DO stay under the cap of coarse).
[/quote]

I have to be honest, I haven't read anything about Mini's contract situation for a while and I do know the Roosters have a bit of creative management and a lot of their players stay for "unders" for various reasons (I like the area, I want to be coached by Ricky, I want to play with a strong squad, I think my chances of Rep Footy are better here), but Mini would have to be seeking new management if he was getting 200k. Either way, he's off contract at the end of next year so he's got a fair bit to achieve to make sure his worth hasn't decreased while he has been out of the game.

Bedsy yes. It's been said a couple of times that he wants to go there and everybody knows he doesn't get on all that well with Brian Smith.

Mini...not so sure. He will want to prove things to a lot of people. Can't do all of that in one season.

Snake is one of the singlest biggest drawcards Manly has. I have never had a conversation with a female fan who hasn't swooned over him. He has schoolgirls lined up giggling for his autograph in the hundreds. His hands and positioning are almost perfect and he can sniff out a try better than any fullback Manly has ever had. He is definitely worth every cent.

Stewy is still only 22/23 and he has so much improvement left in him yet.  We saw what happened to our attack last year in the GF and we fell in a hole when he went off.

Even last year he stood out in the Origin series and has the potential to be a superstar. I am glad we have him and am glad the club is wrapping him up.

Remember 9, 6, 7, and 1 are the key players and hopefully we will have a great base for a top team with our selection.

He's on the front cover of the AUSTAR magazine this month.  In this game marketing is king over ability and Stewart oozes it. 

Worth every cent. He's proven his worth over the last two seasons.

Minichiello signed for 3 years for over a million in 2005 and then extended (and probably upgraded) it until 2009 last year or the year before.

ManlyBacker link said:
Snake is one of the singlest biggest drawcards Manly has. I have never had a conversation with a female fan who hasn't swooned over him. He has schoolgirls lined up giggling for his autograph in the hundreds. His hands and positioning are almost perfect and he can sniff out a try better than any fullback Manly has ever had. He is definitely worth every cent.

Your seriously not saying he is better than Ridge was in his day.
I was a Bears supporter at the time, but that man changed the way fullback played the game all together. He was innovate. In fact, the NRL actually changed a rule because of him (when he tried to boot the ball out of an attackers grasp while the attacker was trying to score a try.

Stewart also doesn't get involved as much as Ridge. He doesn't kick goals like Ridge did, and doesn't kick in general play as much as Ridge did.

Yeah, I rated the bloke !! Hehehehehe..

Id pay Snake more than I would pay Ox , and Jamie Lyon based on last year performance.
Like its been said , the club would also be looking at how much positive attention he can bring in the marketing sense as well as performance on the field.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6