Mid-season review: Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
New coach Geoff Toovey’s concerns about early season burnout given five tough weeks on the road to open the premiers’ 2012 premiership defence appeared validated when Manly slumped to three successive defeats through Round 5.

Read the full article

Fair assessment of our season so far. Injuries have been a big factor in our lack of consistency because we've struggled to field the same 17 from week to week.

The missed tackle stats are a worry though. Need to fix that up before finals time.

A top 4 finish, even top 2, is certainly achievable. The games against the Warriors & Broncos are home games. The match against Souths is at Homebush, a ground where we have had a lot of recent success.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Fair assessment

I think our injuries were underestimated in this article. Other than that an ok assessment.
I like the positivity surrounding the perception of Toovey.

However, their litmus test comes in Round 15 when they meet the Storm just three days after State of Origin II

Origin Wed, we play Storm Mon makes 5 days.

The difference in the defence does raise some alarm bells. But the ability to lift for the crunch games is a huge plus. If close to full strength, we are the team no-one wants to meet in the finals.

Is our defense this season compared to last year worrying anyone else?

Our goal line D has been fairly good but it just feels like teams are making metres up the middle against us(not sure on stats) and we are missing alot of tackles.

The reduced metres per game and the reduced ability to nullify kicks coincides with the loss of Hoppa jnr. But with some luck with injuries/suspensions we should be well in the mix at season's end.

Drinkwater's stats are mouthwatering in that team. Imagining DCE & Gift creating opportunities for Lyon on the right, and Drinkwater & Foran creating opportunities for Matai on the left.

Utility Player said:
However, their litmus test comes in Round 15 when they meet the Storm just three days after State of Origin II

Origin Wed, we play Storm Mon makes 5 days.

Probably thought it should have been the friday night game? lol

NFN2IT said:

Our goal line D has been fairly good but it just feels like teams are making metres up the middle against us(not sure on stats) and we are missing alot of tackles.

Yes, I have noticed that too.

Does toovs employ more of a sliding defence?
Des was more the up and in defence style I believe.
Our F & A is terrible this year.(due to injuries & suspensions mainly i hope)
The F & A is a huge barometer as to the quality of a side and its chances for the title. Hope we can fix it in the 2nd half of the year.

Elvis Presley said:
NFN2IT said:

Yes, I have noticed that too.

Does toovs employ more of a sliding defence?
Des was more the up and in defence style I believe.
Our F & A is terrible this year.(due to injuries & suspensions mainly i hope)
The F & A is a huge barometer as to the quality of a side and its chances for the title. Hope we can fix it in the 2nd half of the year.

Yeah and ive also felt like majority of the games we have had this year win or loose has been a grindy-80-minute sorta game as apposed to the Manly team of last year with the perfectly executed set-plays(which i love watching & have lacked this year),solid forwards marchin up field & the tough gang defense. Dont get me wrong winning those tight games are good because it comes in handy at the end of the year with big games but im just cant put my finger on it if its the D or attack or both thats off this year.

I'd really like to see 2V coming up with some plays between Ballin,Foz and Snake through the middle ala Smith,Cronk,Slater. I'm sure they have the ability to work it and we can't keep going to the predictable right side play all the time.

mickqld said:
I'd really like to see 2V coming up with some plays between Ballin,Foz and Snake through the middle ala Smith,Cronk,Slater. I'm sure they have the ability to work it and we can't keep going to the predictable right side play all the time.

I agree 110%!, so far i have seen ONE new set play with a runaround between gifty and chezza with a couple decoys but i havent seen it being pulled off as smooth as other ones in the past. Id love to see ballin outa dummy half taking the ball to the line and starting one of these plays with chezza and a forward riding shot gun to put the defense in 2 mind A) short ball to running forward or B) out the back to chezza and so on and so on.

Des was a genius at coming up with tactical set plays and id love to see Tooves try and come up with something creative with his own twist to it, But i do get the feeling Des was more "tactical" then Tooves is.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6