Mick Mona's

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fair enough Kiwi, im just trying to say its no coincidence that Monas and Orford did not work as a combination. In 07 we were one of the most boring attacking teams (i believe the clash of Monas/Orford had a lot to do with it).
Where as last year, we were by far the best attacking team, as Ballin was a great foil for Orford.
I really doubt we would have won last year with Monas.

Would you be happy to throw away junior talent for a 30 year old player who wasn't originally in the teams plans.

Was Monaghan the difference between our forwards not dominating in 07 and then dominating in 08 ?

The counter argument could also be made that Cam Smith played in 07 but not in 08, so that is the only reason we won the GF

All these arguments mean nothing anyway, they were 2 different games played on 2 different days in different conditions between different sides

Pepi, I don't think it would be throwing away anyone, and if he did come back, it would be filling Heath L'Estranges role

But i think we have as much chance of seeing Monaghan at 6 next season as we do of seeing Bob Fulton at 6 next season

Pepi link said:
For you who want Monas as a 5/8th, do you honestly believe Foran/Hodkinson etc. will stick around till he retires? Hell no, they will be at the Roosters in a blink of an eye.
Monas in the team - we lose a grand final by close to 40 points.
Monas out of the team - we win a grand final by 40 points.

You mean the 07 grand final that Monas got us into? Go watch the replay of the semi final......

I think its fair to say they were all bloody **** in 07. 08 They were 1 year more experienced and small additions like Perry added much needed experience and aggression. Wolfman Heath etc all added.

Monas had 7 wins from 7 games as a half back with a decent squad.. Sure he was poor with a poor team before that..  Ahh the days of Chad Randall and co. Those were the days...

Agreed Kiwi, Orford and Choc were responsible for our disasterous 07 GF loss.  Choc a windmill in defense, Orford with his no catch on the kick-off and his pathetic kicks in general play.  And he was not responsible for  the 08 win.  Lyon and the forward pack were.  And the fact that Smith wasn't on the paddock to give them any stability or direction. 

I didn't mind Monas at all as hooker, but we don't need a hooker at present. The main concern for me if he came back would be what it showed about who was driving the player recruitment, and what effect that might have on our stable and able coaching staff.

DSM5 link said:
Agreed Kiwi, Orford and Choc were responsible for our disasterous 07 GF loss.  Choc a windmill in defense, Orford with his no catch on the kick-off and his pathetic kicks in general play.  And he was not responsible for  the 08 win.  Lyon and the forward pack were.   And the fact that Smith wasn't on the paddock to give them any stability or direction. 

Orford came up with some pretty important plays in the 08 Grand Final. Setup the ?second try? and used his woeful kicking to get us the third. Though i would dare say robertsons pace had something to do with it aswell.

Zep, what I'm saying is that the win in 08 was a complete team effort.  I've not seen such a dominant performance from everybody until that game.  Everybody played to their maximum ability in that game, unlike this year unfortunately.  Hopefully that effort will return.  Last weekend was a good omen, and we'll have to play well to get over the top of the faders.  Go Manly.   

Pepi link said:
Fair enough Kiwi, im just trying to say its no coincidence that Monas and Orford did not work as a combination. In 07 we were one of the most boring attacking teams (i believe the clash of Monas/Orford had a lot to do with it).
Where as last year, we were by far the best attacking team, as Ballin was a great foil for Orford.

Would you be happy to throw away junior talent for a 30 year old player who wasn't originally in the teams plans.

I think we had the second best attack in 07.

It's Ox over Monna's for me, BUT, I would still like Monna's back as a utility should Le'Strange sign elsewhere.

Garts link said:
[quote author=Pepi link=topic=180771.msg228271#msg228271 date=1245390764]

I think we had the second best attack in 07.
[/quote]
melb 627
Manly 597
NZ 593

I'll take Orford's general play and short kicking game over the extra 10-15m Monaghan may get with his punts. If long kicking is what people want then throw Hodgkinson in, he's got a nice long kicking game from what I have seen.

DSM5 link said:
Zep, what I'm saying is that the win in 08 was a complete team effort.  I've not seen such a dominant performance from everybody until that game.  Everybody played to their maximum ability in that game, unlike this year unfortunately.  Hopefully that effort will return.  Last weekend was a good omen, and we'll have to play well to get over the top of the faders.  Go Manly.   

Agree DSM the 2008 GF was nearly the perfect storm pun intended and one which will be hard for any team to ever equal. Everyone played out of their skin, had a burining goal to achieve and it was the culmination of everything learnt during 06 07 08. The team only began the peaking process in the home semi against St George when Lyon was back from injury at 5/8. The textbook example of a team peaking at the right time and learning from previous mistakes - and their opponents blotting their own copybook and being under prepared and out of top condition.

Would have been interesting to see this Manly 08 GF team play the Storm of 07/08 at their very best....

Monaghan- remember in the final series of 07 against the Cowboys at SFS when Monaghan was leading our main attacking options and drive forward from hooker dummy half runs and kicking game. When Monas got concussed so did our attack and it was looking ropey at half time until BK slapped him around a bit in the sheds haha.

Remember how in first 5-6 games of 07 how Monas deputised for the injured Orford and calmly led the team to a handful of good victories. Not as much attacking flair as Matt at his best, but dependable and quality - does it matter so much if people think you're boring as long as you win games? (Des' coaching has brought out the best in many people - and many don't achieve the same standard when they leave)

CW has complained often about the "concentric circles" theory about Monaghan and admittedly may know much more than I do about this area - I never saw it but I don't attend every game and am just a punter not a player. Could you please explain what you mean by this CW?

Anyway - great guy great leader Monaghan I'd welcome him back if that is what Dessie thinks is best - and Beaver too for an extra year!

But at the risk of the best young guys leaving - NO WAY because they are the future of the Sea Eagles!

ive seen a few warrington games and he looks half the player he was when he left lost a lot of size too.

A big NO from me, i would much rather see daly and foran have a run together next year as they already have their combinations with each other and foran/lyon combo is a droolworthy thought

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4