1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Robertson says Manly Sea Eagles have been 'lucky' (salary cap debate)

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Brissie Kid, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +828 / 10

2. Disco

Disco Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 37
    Love Robbo

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 103
    He was the consummate professional. Like Craig Innes, Robbo could rightly have carried the nickname 'The postman' because he always delivered.

I'm not sure if the word 'lucky' is apt to describe Manly's retention of players. Although, it seems the NRL's treatment of long-serving players is aimed at making each season a lucky-dip; ripping the heart out of successful clubs and allowing predators like the Dogs and Easts free reign to poach.

• Like Like x 2
  4. sheridanstand78

sheridanstand78 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308 / 51
    Robbo was a rock at the back and a big part of our success. He is always going to be remembered for putting the cheating rorting drizzle to the sword in the 08 grand final.

5. The Prince of Brookvale

The Prince of Brookvale Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    What an absolute champion. Should of played origin for NSW no doubt - better than most of the muppets that have been picked on the wing in the past.

6. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
  7. RiverEagle

RiverEagle New Member

Ratings:
    +1,055 / 0
    ^^^Agree with all of the above.
    He was a real revelation to me, and a perfect fit for us those seasons he was here.

Never forget that hat-trick in the '08 GF...the final pass for Beaver's try...probly the best Manly moment amongst many that 40-0 day!

I guess it's been some luck, much good management this golden run of the last decade...but guys want to play for us too ( as evidenced by Hiku's hopeful resigning) and our unequalled group of long-servicemen.

Marriage made in heaven...

Thanks for the memories, Robbo!

8. Clint

Clint . Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,654 / 14
    nah, that will still get a run I reckon.

9. tookey

tookey Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,244 / 131
    This is why the NRL salary cap is a joke and should be millions of dollars higher each year as these guys are more often left with serious life time injuries.

I bet the NRL won't be paying for his hip replacement.

10. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    Aside from being a top player, he's a really good bloke, I was lucky to meet him at a club event once.

At 31 years old he knows he'll need a hip replacement. Yeah, the modern games pretty soft ... not!

11. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,479 / 42
    He'll put his missus' hip out with that thing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,698 / 27
    Such an underrated player.

How he was never even mentioned as a possible winger for State of Origin is beyond me. Would have done a great job. Like he did for Manly.

13. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,723 / 257
    Great career Robbo, happy retirement

14. Ron E. Gibbs

Ron E. Gibbs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,437 / 12
    One of my all-time favourite Manly players - which is a pretty fair achievement for a winger. So consistent, so reliable, so underrated. Not as fancy as a lot of wingers I've seen over the years but I'd take him over any of them.

15. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,739 / 125
    If Nathan Merritt got a run in Origin, Robbo should have been a shoe-in.

Never the quickest winger going around, but I'd pick him any day of the week. Aside from his 2008 Grand Final deeds, one of his best games for the club was in the 2009 World Club Challenge. He didn't score that night but he gave ex-Sea Eagle flyer Scott Donald a lesson.

16. Under the Sticks

Under the Sticks Fan of fullbacks Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

North of the bridge
    Ratings:
    +189 / 0
    In the mould of Stuey Davis and Craig Hancock. We have a knack of making great underrated wingers

• Like Like x 1
  17. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,808 / 53
    Agree with everyone else's sentiments. He was the most underrated player in recent memory. It's a shame he never played Origin, especially as much lesser players have played in his position over the past decade.

18. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,100 / 287
    Robbo was amazing on the attacking team, jumping for the high ball. His hands were like glue.