MESSAGE TO SCOTT PENN RE GREG BIRD

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The bloke glassed his girlfriend and was set to spend 8 years in Long Bay.
He was charged with glassing his girlfriend and was found not guilty on appeal.

He was never at any time set to spend 8 years in jail.

It's disappointing that Manly fans so easily forget the lessons of the Brett Stewart case.

Meanwhile, your post is false and defamatory.

Posters are respectfully reminded that posting false defamatory comments is a breach of the terms of use of Silvertails and can result in banning!

But mate he's Manly, to the core , a local junior whose bled the colours since he was a kid.

Therin lies the issue , he's a fair player and was possibly a future captain.
Not disagreeing with that Mark, just offering up a possibility around what they're thinking. They also tried to move him last offseason so it's quite possible he was never in their plans and they were biding their time once the last window closed.

only escaped conviction for serious domestic abuse charges after his girlfriend perjured herself and recanted her testimony.
Perjured herself? Did you watch her give evidence? Judge Finnane did and he accepted she was telling the truth.

'Recanted her testimony'????
The news reports made it clear that Katie Milligan had never made any statement to police and she had never given any evidence against Bird.

Birds reputation is crap but you do no credit to yourself or the rest of us by posting things that didn't happen.

He was charged with glassing his girlfriend and was found not guilty on appeal.

He was never at any time set to spend 8 years in jail.

It's disappointing that Manly fans so easily forget the lessons of the Brett Stewart case.

Meanwhile, your post is false and defamatory.

Posters are respectfully reminded that posting false defamatory comments is a breach of the terms of use of Silvertails and can result in banning!

I'm sorry, I didn't realise how ill-informed I was.

I will not fall into that stupidity again.

If he does come and if he does perform. I wonder how long it would take for him to morph from a grub to a lovable larrikin..

He does look like he can offer something. I hope we go somewhere else though.

If he does come and if he does perform. I wonder how long it would take for him to morph from a grub to a lovable larrikin..

He does look like he can offer something. I hope we go somewhere else though.

Look I've always liked Bird as a player. He's old school - very competitive, passionate and tough but also has a lot of skill. I could be wrong but he seems pretty durable too - when he's not on the field it's usually due to suspensions rather than injury lol (I could be wrong) The thing is, these days in a very PC world a players suitability for a club encompasses way more than what they just do on the footy field 80 mins a week. It's all the community based stuff, it's about sponsors and the caliber of people we take on reflects on the club - what our standards are, what we wanna represent. Now I'm no left wing hippy by any stretch but when I look at the Sharks I think Fifita.. And the fact that club supports him regardless of his behavioural issues makes me respect them less. I don't want to feel that way about our club. As far as I'm concerned when there are no good players on the market that aren't good people too that's when we knuckle down and develop our own. The other option has too much potential downside.

Off with the fairies mate.. We have had our share of Bird like people in the past and if the coach or whomever does the recruiting thinks that is what the team needs. They will be here in the future too.

Off with the fairies mate.. We have had our share of Bird like people in the past and if the coach or whomever does the recruiting thinks that is what the team needs. They will be here in the future too.

Excellent...

I have cancelled my membership auto renew. I am very disappointed with the club if they are moving on a quality young man and player like Jamie B for Greg Bird.

Anyone remember Greg Bird kneeing a player in the head at The Sharks? That's the kind of bloke they are entertaining.

To acquire that, we give up a young, Manly at heart Jamie Buhrer, who is all class both on and off the field.

If Bird wasn't a footballer, he'd be spending time with John Hopoate in the clink.

Look I've always liked Bird as a player. He's old school - very competitive, passionate and tough but also has a lot of skill. I could be wrong but he seems pretty durable too - when he's not on the field it's usually due to suspensions rather than injury lol (I could be wrong) The thing is, these days in a very PC world a players suitability for a club encompasses way more than what they just do on the footy field 80 mins a week. It's all the community based stuff, it's about sponsors and the caliber of people we take on reflects on the club - what our standards are, what we wanna represent. Now I'm no left wing hippy by any stretch but when I look at the Sharks I think Fifita.. And the fact that club supports him regardless of his behavioural issues makes me respect them less. I don't want to feel that way about our club. As far as I'm concerned when there are no good players on the market that aren't good people too that's when we knuckle down and develop our own. The other option has too much potential downside.
I've had to cope with yelling support for Les Boyd and John Hopoate in the past, both of whom were good footballers with an element of filth. I was very happy when each was no longer in the team.
This is a quite different in that they're moving on a good quality player and human in Jamie Buhrer to acquire the grub and that the new grub will join the like of Meehan and Hopoate in the 25.
No. I'm not happy.
And, to the fairy floss waving brigade, don't bother telling me that I should feel otherwise!

I think it was when he first started, he kneed someone and got 10 weeks for it. I recall at the time the commentators were disgusted by his act.

I've had to cope with yelling support for Les Boyd and John Hopoate in the past, both of whom were good footballers with an element of filth. I was very happy when each was no longer in the team.
This is a quite different in that they're moving on a good quality player and human in Jamie Buhrer to acquire the grub and that the new grub will join the like of Meehan and Hopoate in the 25.
No. I'm not happy.
And, to the fairy floss waving brigade, don't bother telling me that I should feel otherwise!

Add Myles, who is also a grub, and also a really, REALLY bad footballer at present to boot.

+ 2004 Knees Shane Marteene to the head
+ 2006 Reportedly sends Lara Bingle inappropriate photos
+ 2008 accused of glassing girlfriend
+ 2009 facing possible charges of public Mischief/false accusation
+ 2009 British Government denying work permit and entry to country
+ 2009 5 Separate charges by a bloke (found not guilty)
+ 2014 Urinates on Police car and is caught
+ 2015 Implicated in Titans cocaine "drug" scandal
+ 2016 Greg Bird fighting altercation allegation (faces sack)

Nice one Bozo - you are doing us proud.
FFS, let the Knights deal with him, and keep Jamie Buhrer.

Nothing will ever be worse than sacking Toovey for Barrett. Impossible to top that one.
Sacking Barrett for Scott Fulton would be as bad if not worse

He was dropped from the NSW SOO team this year which shows how bad he was playing

I doubt that his image will help us attract sponsors either

Bird and Gallen were top players for Cronulla years ago and I must admit I wished we could grab them then. Five years ago, I would probably be saying the same thing. Today I'm thinking Fulton is living on past glories and has forgotten that when you reach your 30s, your best years are behind you and you are on the slide especially if your body has been punished enough.

Menzies kept seriously fit and avoided serious injury but even he knew his time was finished when he reached only 35. He did play several years on the softer grounds in England and France after that but that was just for extra pocket money.

Bob Fulton, a centre/five eighth knew his time was up even before he reached 32 with a broken body. I know players are fitter these days but for a forward to expect to play on much beyond 32 years requires much luck and a very healthy body. I dont think Bird will have either, the way he plays. He may have another year before he breaks down, if that. Its like Parramatta giving Watmough a 4 years contract at his age. What were they thinking? Even a simple supporter like myself could see that was a dumb move. To me this Bird issue is the same.

Bad recruitment option if they are grabbing him. Says to me Fulton is after short term success at the expense of long term development of the club. He's made some good pick ups with Taupau, T. Wright, Parcell, Walker and now Green (although he's also a short term solution). But gosh he has picked up some turkeys as well, and let go some good potential in Gutherson, Knight, Buhrer etc.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6