Merritt claims racism cost him City spot - Racism my arse!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Normie

Bencher
Monday Apr 30 19:07 AEST

South Sydney winger Nathan Merritt claimed racism could be the reason behind his omission from the NSW City Origin team to play NSW Country this week.

The Aboriginal winger was one of the big absentees from the squad, with Bulldog pointscoring machine Hazem El Masri and rising Parramatta star Jarryd Hayne selected instead.

Merritt topped the NRL tryscoring list last season and after a strong start this year would not have been out of place in the City side, but believes his heritage could be a factor in his failure to win a jersey.

"I'm not too sure what it is, maybe it's a Souths thing or it's a racial thing," Merritt told the Nine Network.

"They don't like indigenous players coming through the representative ranks."

NSW rugby league general manager Geoff Carr ridiculed Merritt's claims, pointing to the selection of several players from different racial backgrounds in this year's sides.

City have Lebanese-born Muslim El Masri and Hayne, whose father is Fijian, while the Country side features Aboriginals Preston Campbell and Amos Roberts.

"It's a ludicrous association given the racial mix in all of our representative teams, particularly the City team this year," Carr told the Seven Network.

Former league star Anthony Mundine is the most recent player to claim racism cost him representative selection.

The St George five-eighth often said his Aboriginal heritage was the reason Test champions Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler were selected ahead of him for NSW and Australia.

Now a world champion boxer and also an indigenous officer with South Sydney, Mundine slammed Merritt's non-selection as another case of racism in rugby league.

"There's been an under-belly of racism within rugby league for a long time and if this does not expose it again then I don't know what does," Mundine told the Nine Network.

:bdh: :violin: :bdh: Trust Mundine to weigh into the debate!

So what card can Hicks & Glenn Stewart play???? They're from Manly!

Beard racism? Hobo racism? :dance: :dance: :dance:

Racism aside, Merritt deadset should have been there ahead of Hayne.
Geez I wish Mundine would shut up

what a goose, he had everyone on his side defending him, but he just had to go there, now everyone thinks he is a Goose of Mundine proportions and he would not have won many friends amongst selectors either!

Yeah, pretty stupid thing to say.

I think Merritt should be there somewhere though.... Hopefully it won't take too much longer for the selectors to figure out that Jarryd Hayne is actually quite ****

Being sh!t is the issue, not black you idiot.

I dont rate Merrit for some reason, sure he has scored some tries but so did Scott Donald.

I don't rate Merritt and who would you rather on the wing come State of Origin time Hayne or Merritt...Merritt would get smashed.
Anyway half the Australian team is of islander or aboriginal background so a bit of investigation work on Merritts behalf wouldn't have gone astray!

I was expecting this. Honestly, when there are already 2 aborigines in the teams, how can you possibly claim racism?? It just shows hopw stupid you are.

Hunt, Hodges, Thurston, Inglis, Mason, Petro, Kite and Thaiday.
If the selectors are sooo farken racist why are these blokes playing for Australia???????

Silly comments from Merritt but I guess I can understand his frustration.

How many bandwagons of discontent is Mundine going to climb on?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4