Menzies provides 'golden' moment

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Menzies provides 'golden' moment

7:30am Thursday 19th February 2009
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/4136752.Menzies_provides__golden__moment/

By Dave Craven »

Bulls star Steve Menzies today admitted he was gearing up for extra-time on his Super League debut – blissfully unaware of English rules!

Hull KR levelled Sunday’s match with a dramatic last-second drop goal to take a share of the spoils and ruin the Australian’s big day.

Then I realised I wasn’t too up on the rules and didn’t know what was actually going to happen!
    Steve Menzies

But Menzies, having previously played his entire career with Manly Sea Eagles, conceded he didn’t realise whether the game would actually finish at 13-13.

In the NRL, drawn matches go into extra-time with the next “golden point” winning the game.

“I wasn’t sure what the rule was over here,” said the classy second-rower.

“When Hull KR kicked it I remember thinking ‘They’ve got a bit of momentum going.’ “Obviously, there wasn’t long until the siren and I started thinking about the golden point and extra-time.

“But then I realised I wasn’t too up on the rules and didn’t know what was actually going to happen!”

His team-mates’ gutted reaction at the final whistle told him the game was over.

Bulls had been celebrating moments earlier when they went ahead themselves via Paul Deacon’s 78th-minute drop goal.

But they then shot themselves in the foot to allow Mick Dobson that final chance to square things up.

Menzies, 35, said: “It was disappointing to have the lead and then lose it again with just ten seconds to go.

“We didn’t even have time to kick off so it felt like a loss rather than a draw.

“Rovers probably felt just as gutted though. We only had the lead for one minute in 80 so in saying that it wasn’t such a bad result for us. It was an eventful match.”

After months of waiting, the club’s marquee signing was delighted to get his first taste of Super League action.

Displaying plenty of quality touches, Menzies also showed his versatility by featuring in three different positions – second-row, stand-off and centre.

“I’m probably not going to move around that much in future but we’d been unlucky with a few injuries so a few of us had to juggle around,” he said.

“I was quite happy with my own involvement though. I got a little bit lost a couple of times but generally felt good.

“And it was good to get out there at Odsal. There was plenty of support and it’s a real vocal ground.

“The fans were great and it was different for me playing at new stadium but that’s my home now and I’m looking forward to doing more of it.”

The Bulls were frustrated by their inability to break Hull KR down after dominating the contest.

But Menzies insisted: “The good thing to come out of it for us was the way we defended.

“It’s always harder to fix your defence more than anything else so that’s positive we tackled so well.

“Though we had a fair bit of possession, our attack probably didn’t flow as well as it could have done at times and it did lack some fluidity but we can always tweak that up and have time to do so with no game this weekend.

“We were getting in the right positions and it’s just the final pass we need to look at.”

The match was the first time Bradford have drawn since the 16-16 tie at Harlequins three years ago.

State of Origin master Menzies feels Super League could adopt the Australian method of deciding level contests.

Ironically, he featured in the first-ever game to be won by the “golden point” rule back in 2003.

Manly team-mate Ben Walker kicked a penalty to give them a thrilling 36-34 victory over Parramatta Eels and Menzies said: “It does bring real excitement.

“There’s been some great golden point moments back home, you normally get three or four attempts at drop goals and I did play in that first one.

“Don’t get me wrong, for whoever comes away with the loss, it’s not a good way to lose a match; you can play for more than 80 minutes and come away with nothing at the end of it all.

“But it’s amazing when you do win and it’s great for the fans.”

"Displaying plenty of quality touches, Menzies also showed his versatility by featuring in three different positions – second-row, stand-off and centre."

I must of missed this, that day I had off at Quakers hill TAFE during the NRL for dummies course. But what's "stand-off"?

Watching our 2008 highlights DVD, it's crazy how much Beaver features.

Sure he came off the bench for the majority of his games, but so often he came on an instantly provided some slight of hand which put someone through a gap or created some space. He's learned a sh*tload over a lengthy career and he now reads the game like a 5/8, even if he probably isn't quick enough or possess the necessary skills of a 5/8. Very canny.

Even if the old bugger was 35, I've got no doubt he would've been capable of handling another season of NRL. We don't have anyone who can come close to replacing the role he played last year, but if Williams is the one we plan on using off the bench as the replacement backrower who can fill in the backs...well, he's a good option, but very, very different. More hard-running, but it will take away a whole heap of creativity.

Did anyone watch our semi against the Warriors? It was on Fox again today. Beaver plays some tremendous inside balls and puts blokes through gaps all game.

Come back Beaver :(

I watched it Will. I hope DSM5 watched it too, and saw the 3 try saving tackles D Williams made in defence early in the peace.

Not too shabby for a bloke who cant defend and doesnt know where to stand.

Williams was out of position a few times, but he made up for it with great hussle. He did an excellent job on Vatuvei in that game. Knocked him about, didn't let him get any momentum and was in his face all game.

Thanks for the invite Clon.  I've watched the game a number of times and I guess you saw that Williams almost gifted the Warriors a first try with his foot catch that went wrong.  Will is also right that he was out of position a number of times and it was Bell who saved his arse.  You are right that he played over the top of Vatuvei, but don't forget that the Warriors had played their grand final the week before and were flat.  That being said, the guy will learn.  It seems to me he has that Parramatta habit that we know so well of standing up as a winger.  It worked for him in 08 as Bell was so steady, but he'll have to think for himself in 09.  He'd better because there's a number of very good winger/centre prospects in the club.   

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7