Menzies leans toward staying with Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Menzies leans toward staying with Eagles

May 16, 2006 - 12:39PM

Steve Menzies says he is close to making a call on his playing future, with the Manly veteran leaning towards remaining at the NRL club next season.

Menzies, off contract at the end of the season, is keen for at least one more year of football and is weighing up whether to finish his career at the Sea Eagles or in the English Super League.

The 32-year-old said he was considering an offer tabled by the Sea Eagles last week and expected to make a decision as early as next week.

"At this stage I'm probably leaning towards staying at Manly," Menzies said.

"I'm looking at another one or two years and obviously that is up to me.

"I'll take it year by year and I'll know about eight to 10 games into next season how I'm feeling and how they're feeling towards me, wherever I go."

Menzies has played 299 matches for Manly and the Northern Eagles, the former joint-venture between Manly and North Sydney. Cliff Lyons holds the record of 309 appearances for Manly.

The NSW and Australian back-rower has been in contact with former Sea Eagles teammates Chad Randall and Scott Donald, who have tried to talk him into joining them in the Super League.

Menzies said he and his girlfriend hadn't ruled out the move, but said the appeal of being a one-club player was also strong.

"At this stage in my career it's not about an extra $10,000 a year," he said when asked if he would test his value on the open market in the NRL.

"There's no point me trying to bump up my price to get a bit more out of Manly.

"You would always like more money but that's not going to be the deciding factor for myself.

"At the end of the day it will come down to a lifestyle choice."

© 2006 AAP

At the end of the day, have we seen a better bloke than Beaver. The effort he has put into this club, loyalty and beyond all doubt put all in every week. Its not like he's some no talent guy who stayed at a struggling club for 10 years and was called a loyal player. This guy could have had all the money in the world, one of the best second rowers I've seen take the field, and he deserves every single penny he has ever earnt from our club. We should be paying this guy for the next 10 years, despite whether he plays or not. Name a stand after him for gods sake, I have never seen someone more deserving.

Had Beaver been with a strong club in the late 90s and early 00s he would be ranked up there with the Immortals. Imagine his tryscoring record then.

Legend!!!!

i still think many non manly boys rate him right up there - alone with Bk they are easily the highest rated at our club currently

A great player who deserves all the wraps he gets - should be a great day out at flanno stadium in a few weeks

I think he should stay for one final season ,& then go pom trampling.I would say he has atleast a couple of seasons in him over there ,to top up his retirement fund...

with the absolute greatest respect to Bozo,

Beaver is born, bred and has only ever played for one club ( at this stage !)

i think this goes beyond abililty, as there may have been many more talented players to play for Manly. BUT his commitment to the club and district is second to none.

with the absolute greatest respect to Bozo,

Beaver is born, bred and has only ever played for one club ( at this stage !)

i think this goes beyond abililty, as there may have been many more talented players to play for Manly. BUT his commitment to the club and district is second to none.

You saved me posting it!!

Beaver is a legend but Bozo is without peer as the greatest Sea Eagle of all time - named as one of the first four immortals. He was simply outstanding at every level of the game.

Beaver is in the same grandstand as him.

Sure - Bozo had a final 10 mins with the Roosters at the end of his career when there was nothing left to achieve. Just goes to show what a great club man is the Beaver!!!

I cant comment on Bozo as i was too young in his era. Probably not even born and have not seen a great deal of footage , but to be named ias an immortal shows he was great. But when im older i will be chewing the ears of my kids about about how good Menzies was, his effort every week, his club loyalty and all round great guy that he is.
One more year Beaver then retire a Sea Eagle great.(SEG)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2