Membership.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the simplistic view.  The financial side of things is not really a worry.  As if 500 people dropped out for this reason it would not be the catalyst to send us broke.  However my comment is in relation to the NRL introducing a criteria saying a club needs x number of members to hold a NRL license. 

Bob....1000 people pull out it's $135,000

That could make the difference

Being a member (especially if you are away form Brookvale) is really just a "donation".....I am a BOP member as well, I have used the function and have had one entrance this year, and will have another in September for round 26, so I have had "reasonable" value.

But if I didn't attend one game or one function, I'd still pay.

Membership isn't for everyone, Dan has said he's not a member, membership does not make you a better supporter than someone who isn't, it's a personal thing, I feel better knowing I have done it BUT it's NOT a badge of honour.

The loss of the forum probably isn't everyone's issue, it's the way it was done, and for that reason I would suggest a letter of complaint...don;t be too emotional with it, just state the facts.

It isn't going to change their decision BUT maybe before they make any major changes in the future they'll think " what will the fans think of this?"

You know. with the tickets.

I am wondering for all of those that have tickets and know that they will not use them, can we find a way to say donate them to a pool, and then give them to a charity?

I would be happy to try to set something up

I agree with your views, but as someone who donated some hard earned $$$ when the club needed it after the Northern Eagles debacle,if feel let down by current management.

I live 450km from Brookvale and only get to a couple games a year if I am lucky.

I understand the principle of contributing and have been atrade union member and union rep for well over 25 years.

Its not really the forum closing, although that initiated my thoughts.

But enough is enough, if they want to send replies to my email's with a "we don't care if your a member or not" attitude, then I wont be.

I would much rather spend my money on merchandise and airfares/accommodation to get to games, and that's how it will be.

As is always the case Bob everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I understand yours but that's not what I would do....but don't you love democracy, you can have your opinion and I can have mine, just imagine living somewhere like Iran where you follow the one line or be beheaded!!

Mark from Brisbane link said:
As is always the case Bob everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I understand yours but that's not what I would do....but don't you love democracy, you can have your opinion and I can have mine, just imagine living somewhere like Iran where you follow the one line or be beheaded!!

would make life easier to lead though wouldn't it, not having to make too many choices :)

I think I should clarify/rectify that, its my "belief" the club is only interested in fans who attend games are they are the only fans of any value to them.

I let them know this via email and it was strongly refuted but there was no substance to the argument.

I look forward to a return to the professional attitude that was there during the Grant Mayer days.

And when it returns so will my membership.

I will be reluctantly renewing my membership. I love the club too much to be put off by the current management's attitudes to paying members.

I really feel they have underestimated the value the forum brought to the club. I fail to see how their membership drive and merchandise sales will not be affected by removing one of the best marketing tools they ever had. Absolute lunacy - it would have been worth employing someone full time to keep it going.

Just employ someone, even a school kid, to keep the website up to date would be a start. They dont see the internet as a tool of any value to them

They didn't like it when I pointed out the Members News section hadn't been updated since March.

You cant even get a current team photo for a wallpaper.

But then you dont get the same level of control that they need. It does not solve the problem

Whilst I enjoyed the forum on MWSE and was a fairly regular poster - it has gone - but that will not mean that I will stop supporting the team or renewing my membership – I support the team not a forum.

Whilst I appreciate that there has been massive angst about the decision to close the forum and there has been much discussion about how supporters are supposedly treated impacting the future or effectiveness of the team by not renewing membership is (for me) short sighted and counter productive.

There are better ways to let the administration know you are not happy without your actions affecting the team.

Regulars on this site will know my stance re membership of BOTH Sea Eagles and the Football Club and in way of a disclaimer I was invited to, and accepted,  a role on the board of the Football Club in October of last year and at the December AGM the members voted for me to remain a board member.

As a supporter that follows the boys home and away and takes my 2 young children with me one reason I joined the Football Club board was to help improve the amount of “say” that the “average” supporter has in the running and direction of the club.

With the strong ties to the Leagues Club and with the collective 3 seats on the board of the Sea Eagles the Football Club allows fans to have a say via the elected board.

I know of at least 3 situations that the Football Club has made representations to the Sea Eagles board on behalf of supporters and we have been successful each time in having our voice heard.

Yes. This is a “spruik” to increase FC members but as I have said numerous times - I can’t make you join the FC and respect your right not to BUT this is on the understanding that it takes away the one true mechanism that the average fan can have recourse to the clubs owners and executive

If you have concerns or complaints on how you are treated as a fan and are a FC member send me a PM or alternatively contact the club directly and speak with Sarah Brady the membership manager and if you are not happy with the outcome then escalate to Graham Lowe (interestingly I am told that only around a dozen or so people have taken this course of action so far..)

Not renewing membership will not help get your point across but can and will have a potentially huge impact on the viability of the club you support

Hi Vid,

With many thanks to you and your efforts over the years, I realise the importance of FC membership, so I will always retain my FC membership, no questions asked. Hoping that you do understand that the gripe with the Sea Eagles is not the removal of the forum, perse, rather the way in which it was done? which I believe starts with a genuine lack of communication and or consultation with members.

Communication from the club to members has been nothing short of a shambles since Mayer departed.
Kind of a little like the whole mwse website has become a shamble since Aarons departure.

The club could have handled things so much better with regard to the shutting down of the forum.

Cheers,
Wamf

Plus one regarding the poor communication with members. It took two emails (the second one a week after) before I got a response from Peters. The admin there is a joke.

WAMF link said:
Hi Vid,

With many thanks to you and your efforts over the years, I realise the importance of FC membership, so I will always retain my FC membership, no questions asked. Hoping that you do understand that the gripe with the Sea Eagles is not the removal of the forum, perse, rather the way in which it was done? which I believe starts with a genuine lack of communication and or consultation with members.

Communication from the club to members has been nothing short of a shambles since Mayer departed.
Kind of a little like the whole mwse website has become a shamble since Aarons departure.

The club could have handled things so much better with regard to the shutting down of the forum.

Cheers,
Wamf

Stay tuned WAMF, rest assured I've had a long chat to Sarah Brady to give her feedback from fans.

I like her and think she will be good for the club and she was very open to my (constructive) criticism and the feedback from fans

All you people who aren't members because The Club doesn't want to supply a web site for your own edification are just sooks.  Piss off all of you you weak over-weaned ****zers.  When I first joined you got nothing except the tickets, and were glad for that.  Pay up or go.  Stop your snivelling.  Seems that with the demise of the official web-site all the weak-chinned sooks have migrated over here.  Pity.    

I am a member who also lives in the bush. The 2 reasons I became a member were:

1. to help ensure the long term survival of the club
2. to have early access to finals tickets.

Therefore, the closure of the forum didn't worry me (although I would have preferred it remained).

While I thought Mayer's communication style was great, I personally don't give a damn if I'm not kept informed of every day to day development in the club. I'm not one of those people who need to be needed, and I will get more enjoyment out of watching the Eagles tonight than I will out of any forum.

I recognise that people are not members for many reasons - affordability included. I recognise that people who have regularly attended matches along with their family, purchased merchandise etc. over many years have more than likely contributed much more financially to the club than I have. I'm also not interested in the stupid "true supporters" debate.

But I just don't get those who feel personally attacked by the Club's decision to close the forum. I think that to cancel your membership just for that reason is counter-productive, as if everyone did that, not only would we not have an official forum, we may well not have a team.  

Couldn't care less about the forums, I will be a member every year for the rest of my life

Just over $1 a week per year for the enjoyment the Manly club gives me is sensational value for money in my book

Merdy33 link said:
I am a member who also lives in the bush. The 2 reasons I became a member were:

1. to help ensure the long term survival of the club
2. to have early access to finals tickets.

Therefore, the closure of the forum didn't worry me (although I would have preferred it remained).

While I thought Mayer's communication style was great, I personally don't give a damn if I'm not kept informed of every day to day development in the club. I'm not one of those people who need to be needed, and I will get more enjoyment out of watching the Eagles tonight than I will out of any forum.

I recognise that people are not members for many reasons - affordability included. I recognise that people who have regularly attended matches along with their family, purchased merchandise etc. over many years have more than likely contributed much more financially to the club than I have. I'm also not interested in the stupid \"true supporters\" debate.

But I just don't get those who feel personally attacked by the Club's decision to close the forum. I think that to cancel your membership just for that reason is counter-productive, as if everyone did that, not only would we not have an official forum, we may well not have a team.  

Great post. I was trying to think of a way of putting something together like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7