Membership numbers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
vidmar link said:
[quote author=Ben Wallace link=topic=185975.msg308302#msg308302 date=1291258195]
Other than your ticket to the games Manly doesn't seem to offer much to its members. I am a member cause I want to support the club, but my mates who go to every home game with me aren't interested, they don't see any advantage by joining. Meet the players comps and coms basic merch wouldn't hurt to attract members. For example this year Roosters are giving every member a cap, scarf, keyring, lanyard etc. Its only basic merch but I bet people think \"hey there is a bonus\". Coupled with the fact they made the GF last year I bet their membership goes up significantly this year.

I work in Rugby League media, I also believe part of it is the \"fly under the radar\" mentality. Part of the reason Tigers have the biggest fanbase (not all members obviously) is because they are everywhere, they do appearances in public, are constantly on TV shows and get on the news for doing charity work. To gain new members in today's market you need to have an aggressive media manager coupled with someone to manage the marketing of the club to potential and existing members. Manly doesn't do this. The club needs to change its mentality in order to change the mentality of its fans and make them want to be a member of the club

Did you not see this in your membership application?

http://membership.manlyseaeagles.com.au/membership-benefits/

The complimentary merchandise that you mentioned has been a usual part of membership for as long as I can remember?

Read my post earlier in this thread about the efforts the club and NRL have made to recruit new members - Unfortuntely if your friends can't be bothered then no amount of creativity or exposure will have an effect
[/quote]

huh I feel stupid. I didn't get it last year and I just renewed online this year I didn't even look through the mail out they sent me, I knew what package I wanted. I'll have to keep a better eye out. Statement retacted with apologies

Souths has Star City and big name sponsors, we have ahhh, hang on, does anyone know someone who'd like to sponsor us. Roosters, Tigers and we have zip. For being such a "cool" brand, there hasn't been an avalanche of people throwing dollars at us.

Darren link said:
Souths has Star City and big name sponsors, we have ahhh, hang on, does anyone know someone who'd like to sponsor us. Roosters, Tigers and we have zip. For being such a \"cool\" brand, there hasn't been an avalanche of people throwing dollars at us.

That's the point. Cool doesn't attract avalanches.

Boutique, niche. These are our words.

Looking at the membership packages & to me it looks like the home blue tongue games aren't included as home games with regards to entry.

Jerry1 link said:
Looking at the membership packages & to me it looks like the home blue tongue games aren't included as home games with regards to entry.

Jerry, that is what is showing up on their new membership site - just 10 games for Cat1 and Cat2 Reserved seating. I thought they offered a 10 game and a 12 game package before, but the 12 game is not there now.

Jerry1 link said:

home bluetongue game taking another one to Brisbane

And,no,they're not in the package this year.Too many people complained about not being able to get to Bluetongue/didn't want to go to Bluetongue,and were wasting 2 match entries.It's fair enough,too,now with talk of home games being played at Bluetongue,North Harbour Stadium,Suncorp,New Guinea,Asia,and just about any where else you can stick a pin on a map.

and they packages are substantially cheaper this year as well.

Duff - problem with niche is no monay. Problem with no money is we give our liscence to the bears.

As for the chairty comment from Ben this seems to be true outside of the few very local insular charities they do help. The tigpies sent shirts to be Auctioned off and knights even sent down a player to the Asbestos diseases charity fundraiser Manly offered nothing.

I know of hundreds of Manly fans that have no idea what the incentives are for those fans who live outside the area.The survival of the club IS dependent on these fans being involved and getting value for their dollar,which is currently NOT the case.A fan day for out of towners would be a massive success if it were planned and marketed right...believe it or not.

But then the powers that be knows best....don't they?

Rambofan link said:
I know of hundreds of Manly fans that have no idea what the incentives are for those fans who live outside the area.The survival of the club IS dependent on these fans being involved and getting value for their dollar,which is currently NOT the case.A fan day for out of towners would be a massive success if it were planned and marketed right...believe it or not.

Rambo....since Vidmar,the recently departed membership manager Aaron Markie and I became involved with the MWTS group there's now opportunities galore for people to meet the players. Almost every away game has a meet the players / coaching staff function but the trouble is IF they don't read this forum, or are not a member they don't know it exists. It's why it's so vital for everyone to spread the word, they can join as a member (and be involved), or they can be a part of my e-mail database (at no cost) and find out about what's happening at away games.

In reality there's not the time for a "fans day" at away games, they fly in, train, play the game, do the post match function and leave as early as they can the next day for recovery and time with their families.

And I can assure what we have today is FAR FAR better than what we had when I started this which was ZILCH!!

Mark from Brisbane link said:
[quote author=Rambofan link=topic=185975.msg308435#msg308435 date=1291331775]

Rambo....since Vidmar,the recently departed membership manager Aaron Markie and I became involved with the MWTS group there's now opportunities galore for people to meet the players. Almost every away game has a meet the players / coaching staff function but the trouble is IF they don't read this forum, or are not a member they don't know it exists. It's why it's so vital for everyone to spread the word, they can join as a member (and be involved), or they can be a part of my e-mail database (at no cost) and find out about what's happening at away games.

In reality there's not the time for a "fans day" at away games, they fly in, train, play the game, do the post match function and leave as early as they can the next day for recovery and time with their families.

And I can assure what we have today is FAR FAR better than what we had when I started this which was ZILCH!!

[/quote]

Mark,the thing that I find most odd,is that it's easier for fans to meet the players at away functions,than it is pre/post match at Brookie.Surely re-introducing post match presentations and autograph sessions at Manly Leagues would boost member numbers.If they think alcohol is a problem,hold them in some area of the club that can be made alcohol free for the function(although the players have a beer at away functions with no dramas).

Yes I agree Tony, although there are times they do this.....there was one after the Bronco's game which I attended with Chris mid year and then another after the last home game as well so there were opportunities for people to meet the guys and get autographs. And yes after 2009 it's good to see the boys relaxing with a beer at the PM functions these days.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Yes I agree Tony, although there are times they do this.....there was one after the Bronco's game which I attended with Chris mid year and then another after the last home game as well so there were opportunities for people to meet the guys and get autographs. And yes after 2009 it's good to see the boys relaxing with a beer at the PM functions these days.
mark it should be every game  not just certain games..  the illawarra hawks  have a dinner before the game speeches from sponsors  & the coach & team captain  2hrs before the game for season ticket holders  upstairs in the steelers club , i only  know this because our store was a sponsor  for 2yrs .. we were actually giving away a plasma every home game at half time ... 

I'm all for events that will promote and grow the membership for out of town supporters.

Rambofan - where/when would you propose that the club holds it?

Bear in mind that over the last few years there have been fan days/meet the player events on the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Auckland.

There are of course players that have been involved individually in things like the city country games and "one community" events in various rural areas.

Not disagreeing that there is merit but more curious as to the logistics and cost of such an exercise, how best to capitalise on the trip and what the relative merits may be? (feel good, sign up memberships or just a shake hands kiss baby's trip?)

It's all well and good to say it will promote membership but the players are appearing at the retail store tomorrow in the heart of Eagles territory, there are discounted prices on merchandise for Xmas pressies and the players will be available to sign all manner of stuff - all incentives for supporters to come along and see the team.

If this nets the club 1,000 new members then good stuff and would certainly add weight to your argument.

It's worth pointing out that some of these types of events have been done before with limited success unfortunately

I agree with Ajay that post game events at Brooky would be a bonus and there are events after every Sunday arvo games - unfortunately Monday night games and Friday/Saturday games are tough as once the game is finished and the players have done their warm done and showered and changed etc it can be as late as 10.30pm - not a good time for families or to have players in an environment where people may have had a couple and would want to discuss the game with players...

Am I the only one that thinks that displaying the players like zoo animals is distasteful?
A lot of the players are obviously pretty awkward with the whole situation during these "public appearances" and I feel awkward for them. It all seems pretty artificial.

I'm not that big on the public access to players thing in a function sense. If you run in to them & talk to themnaturally, then fine but the artificial meet & greet thing is a bit weird. I don't know why people are going on about it.

I think the point i was trying to make was more about being "part" of not only the club,but also the networking,supporting and friendship associated with knowing other fans and being able to contribute in some way.I also think it very importand for potential club members or supporter group members,to be aware of what one could expect to receive in the way of "experience".I do however agree with the posts detailing some of the more negative reasons why players would not want to have extended sessions with fans.It can be quite weird at times and we all know that there are some hangers on that can ruin the experience for both player and fan alike.
Awareness of which packages and how memberships can benefit fans is sometimes lost on those who don't necessarily have other passionate fans around them or live locally.Basicly,what are they going to get for their money.Say a family of five joins the football club and expect to attend,say two home games and one or two country games,what will they get for demonsrating club loyalty? I guess I think that there is potential for thousands more memberships if only these people knew where, who, and how to contact for more information.

Its late and I am confusing even myself.

Duff, I completely agree.  I ran into Dunners recently near Broadway.  He asked me the way to some copying shop.  I told him I thought he was an excellent player for us.  I hate lying.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6