1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melbourne Cup

Discussion in 'Off and Racing' started by Cletus, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Cletus

Cletus Active Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I backed Dunedan for a massive $10 but I had to let everyone know that Silvertails favourite horse Ironstein is currently sitting in 31st in the order of entry. I'm not sure if it's racing this weekend but it needs a lot of dropouts, a weight penalty (a big one) or an exemption to make it. Here's hoping.:p

2. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    lol, that could be worth an omen bet :)

thanks for the heads up.

3. Cletus

Cletus Active Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0

Don't bet on it unless it somehow makes the final field! It doesn't look like it is racing this weekend so I don't think it can get an exemption, the only hope for it is if 7 or 8 horses above it drop out. Would be funny if it made it though:D.

4. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    yeah i'm no punter but I know enough to only bet on the ones in the race :)

5. ayjay007

ayjay007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    No Ironstein,but I think the overseas raiders have our staying races worked out.Caulfield Cup '98 (Taufans Melody),and 08 (All The Good):Melb Cup 93 (Vintage Crop),02 (Media Puzzle),and 10 (Americain):This years Mooney Valley Cup,and the last 2 Geelong Cups.Not counting the numerous stayers Hayes had had over the years owned by Sheik Hamden (the royal blue colours),and sangster/packer/williams overseas dabbles.

6. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    I think Americain is almost a moral tomorrow. Way above the others in class. The weight could be a factor and being a 7yo doesn't stack up, but he is obviously going well, has that turn of speed needed and at $5.50 at Centrebet, $5.70 on TAB (with $1.7M already in the win-pool) looks outstanding value. There are plenty of good outsiders for the placings but I can see him winning by 3 lengths.

Good punting all.

7. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,404 / 130
    This year would be about the worst field ever.

And what's really annoying it's just as hard to pick the winner. But those horses that are $50 and over should all be $200 shots as they have no hope at all.

8. The Eagle

The Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 0
    Tips for trifecta? Lol

9. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,404 / 130
    Anyone win anything.

I got 5/8ths of F.A.

10. ayjay007

ayjay007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    1st and 3rd.Just missed the trifecta.Had a fair day overall.Thank goodness all the once a yearers put there millions of $1 bets on to get the prices up.Any other race,Americain starts $2 and Dunaden about $4.5.

11. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    The 'boss' got the winner. I couldn't believe Americain was last and widest on the turn with top weight but good effort. Thrilling finish for all places. On to Oaks Day!

12. Brookvale

Brookvale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 1
    Stick with 'Fiorente' here lads.

Others to look for include Lloyds horses 'Seville' and 'Tanby'. Soccer star Michael Owen is bringing out his recent Goodwood winner 'Brown Panther'.

Box them.