Melbourne Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
I don't think I've watched a race in 15 years.  Not since the Public Service gave me an afternoon off on full pay to watch the thing.  I think the last time I watched a silver horse won it or something 1994. 

so maybe you lads can give me some reasons to watch it this year?  Keep in mind the "un-australian" line ain't gonna work.  I think that's already well established. 

That would be the horse sub zero your referring too Mata.

I don't mind if you watch it or not. I'm a horse racing fanatic and it wouldn't worry me if I watched it or not really. Field is way too big and rarely the best horse wins.

I'll prolly spend about $50 on it this year. The best race of the year for me is the Cox Plate which we had last weekend. It wasn't the best race though this year.

If you have a go on it. Look at the oversea's horses. They have got our measure this year.

No one really cares whether you watch it or not.

I'll throw a couple of bucks at the trifecta in the hope of jagging it, but that's about the extent of my interest.

From a historical point of view in my life it goes back to my school days. The class would stop, sweeps would be organised and the race would be listened to. Then all through a working life the same occured.

No one has to listen to it but from a an Australian way of life it is something that has always been and hopefully will always be. For someone who has always liked horses and racing it is the one opportunity where almost the entire population joins me in having an interest, if only for ten minutes.

Then there are all the luncheons, hats, bragging rights and just a great time. I have always helped in putting up balloons, racing pictures, setting tables with racing themes and organsing sweeps (not for the faint hearted!).

That will always do me for a good reason to be listening.

So Mata, are you going to watch or listen this year? It is like a young Zimbabwean not knowing about the Scouts or how to turn a rock into a sculpture!

It's Race # 7 at Fleminton Tues 4 Nov, due to jump at 3:00pm.

My bets on this year's Melb Cup:

Box Trifectas:
$6 – Zipping, Barbaricus, Master O'Reilly
$5 – Septimus, C'est La Guerre, Barbaricus
$5 – Septimus, Mad Rush, Ice Chariot (this was a mystery – i.e. 3 random picks)

$12 Cup Combo ($1 Win & Place each horse + Box Trifecta all 3 horses):
$12 Cup Combo – Master O'Reilly, Ice Chariot, Barbaricus
$12 Cup Combo – Zipping, Mad Rush, Red Lord
$12 Cup Combo – Gallopin, Profound Beauty, Barbaricus (this was a mystery – i.e. 3 random picks)

$5 each-way win & place ($10 total bet)
$10 – Barbaricus
$10 – Moatize
$10 – Master O'Reilly
$10 – Red Lord

Sweeps:
1 x $5, 2 x $2, 1 x $1

Total Spend: $102

Go Barbaricus!

Zipping better win it this year, that horse ****ing owes me!

I can't make it to anywhere that is having the punt on, so will watch it from my living room, or maybe head down the pub.

Probably $5 win, $5 place on Zipping

Box of Zipping, Master O'Reilly and Septimus
Though I am thinking of dropping Master O'reilly out of the box and putting Mad Rush in there

Thoughts

Mata, it is not enough to watch the race. You MUST have a financial interest. If you want to be cheap go in a sweep. I think sweeps are poor value and if you can get three selections you like then I would do a $3 boxed Quinella, a $3 (half) boxed trifecta (total $6) and then put some cash on the horse you think is the best of the three. If that is confusing for a novice get someone else to put the bet on for you.

I think Master O'Reilly will finish 10 lengths from the winner. Zipping will be 5 lengths away and Barbaricus who shows all heart will not run out 2 miles.

Mad Rush has the local runs on the board but despite the top weight and a foreign jockey I can see Volta being used as a pacemaker and Septimus winning by 2+ lengths. There are a few other really good chances for the placings so I'm thinking of using a dart board.

My efforts so far have been poor but I did get Theseo along with the Barbaricus quinella on Saturday.

f*cked if i know what will win. I try and go by a couple of "rules"

1) Don't back any failures from previous year i.e. Master O'Reilly, Zipping
2) Don't back anything over 54.5kgs i.e. Septimus, Honolulu, Master O'Reilly
3) Don't back a 3 y.o i.e. Alessandro Volta

Still left with a million horses though.

In no particular order:

Mad Rush
C'est La Guerre
Newport

ManlyBacker link said:
Mata, it is not enough to watch the race. You MUST have a financial interest. If you want to be cheap go in a sweep. I think sweeps are poor value and if you can get three selections you like then I would do a $3 boxed Quinella, a $3 (half) boxed trifecta (total $6) and then put some cash on the horse you think is the best of the three. If that is confusing for a novice get someone else to put the bet on for you.

I think Master O'Reilly will finish 10 lengths from the winner. Zipping will be 5 lengths away and Barbaricus who shows all heart will not run out 2 miles.

Mad Rush has the local runs on the board but despite the top weight and a foreign jockey I can see Volta being used as a pacemaker and Septimus winning by 2+ lengths. There are a few other really good chances for the placings so I'm thinking of using a dart board.

My efforts so far have been poor but I did get Theseo along with the Barbaricus quinella on Saturday.

My wife and I have in the past picked a horse each with the loser having to clean the house or similar.  That sure gets you out of your seat as they come down the final straight. 

PS the last 2 years both our picks have at least placed!!

DVS Matt link said:
f*cked if i know what will win. I try and go by a couple of \"rules\"

1) Don't back any failures from previous year i.e. Master O'Reilly, Zipping
2) Don't back anything over 54.5kgs i.e. Septimus, Honolulu, Master O'Reilly
3) Don't back a 3 y.o i.e. Alessandro Volta

Still left with a million horses though.

In no particular order:

Mad Rush
C'est La Guerre
Newport

I like those 3 you've picked there Matt.

It's always tough to tip the Melbourne cup but it's even harderwith the quality european horses being here

Well if you're looking to make some $$$....this isn't the race to do it

I'll probably spend $50 all up on some mixed tri/quin's...and some places on a couple roughies

ManlyBacker link said:

At the TAB or something?

Hey Dan, run one of those ads for a free $50 bet or whatever it is to sign up to a betting house and I'll have some Melbourne Cup fun with that.

Matabele link said:
Hey Dan, run one of those ads for a free $50 bet or whatever it is to sign up to a betting house and I'll have some Melbourne Cup fun with that.

I dont have access to that deal anymore mate, and you needed to deposit $100 to get the $50 I think too

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4