Media lies –read between the lines

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Stevo said:
Ha ha. When was tho one on the DT website removed?

Sometime after 4:45 this morning as that was about the time that I read it online. Obviously the News Ltd hacks are still reading Silvertails and removed it to hide their inept journalism.

Stevo said:
Maybe via PM we could spin out a rumour and see how long it takes to hit the Daily Telegraph! lol

Funny a bloke on LU did this around 2003 to
Bourbon bec.

Sent her an email about the swans players acting up at central station and she ran it in bec and buzz. Then she tried to blame it on bulldogs fans for setting her up which was funny cos the bloke was a roosters fan

SeaEagleRock8 said:
As for this Dave Taylor allegation - whoever he is referring to should have to front his professional body and - if found to have published something he knew to be untrue – he should be kicked out of the profession.

Cant see it happening. Not long ago, I watched a speech by Hartigan at an industry function in which he spent the entire night defending the lack of standards of modern media.

He promoted the need for news as being more important than journalistic standards and that web based journalism, while of lesser quality, was a necessary evolution to satisfy the needs of those wanting quick news in condensed format.

While I dont think the audience he was addressing believed much of what he said, it left no doubt in my mind that journalism is heading downhill and that for the most part, industry leaders dont give a hoot any longer about standards.

Jethro said:
Stevo said:
Ha ha. When was tho one on the DT website removed?

Sometime after 4:45 this morning as that was about the time that I read it online. Obviously the News Ltd hacks are still reading Silvertails and removed it to hide their inept journalism.

This might of had something to do with it ;)
@Cambo96: @EagleRock11 just a reminder of what a liar he is http://t.co/oi2xRuLd #lyingbastard

They may not have found or remembered the article when they had to remove the previously, now that they have been reminded, well they have an obligation to remove them

Do any of you beleive anything you read or see in the media???

I'll give you two examples I have seen with my own eyes and how they were reported.

1) In the country town I used to live in I saw journo's getting some aboriginal's so pissed they could hardly walk....then filming them entering a hotel (where they were denised service due to their intoxication). This then went on Current Affair two nights later as a town who descriminated against people because they were black. Remember I saw them pull up in a rental vehicle, feed them some more goon wine, get them all fired up saying "get in there and demand booze and we'll give you some goons and cartons", and then they turned on their camera's and the result was bad national publicity.

2) Many years before I was in the Philipines, and happened to be there during the fall of Ferdinand Marcos....I was going for a walk from my business hotel (located on the Embassay District) and saw CNN paying locals out the back of a van, and then giving them "Yankee go home" signs. They then lined them up in front of the US Embassay, got them to start yelling and throwing rocks and stuff and then bam 10 minutes later they threw the banners and signs in the back of the van and they were all gone.

These are a couple of examples why I never trust one single Journo to ever tell the truth, they are simply there for one reason...to sell papers, get us to watch their shows, or get us to be aghast at them on social media.

Sports media is no different, the lies, inuendo, beatups possibly could even be worse.

They are ALL dirty low life scum!!

Kiwi Eagle said:
Can someone clarify something for me

If say Stewarts legal team put them on the stand and asks them to produce these witnesses, could they just get away with saying "I can't name my source" or some crap like that

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-03-25/journalists-whistleblowers-and-australias-shield/380244

My fave news story for this catagory is not available online. The Australian published a sports story during the Superleague war that editorially said Steve Menzies was being crucified over at Manly for not being given the chance to play in the new, elite competition.

You can pretty much pull anything out of News Ltd press at that time regarding SL for extreme bias, actually it was propaganda.

Murdoch has been unfit to run media for a long time.

As a former journalist, and a contemporary of John Hartigan who is of the 'old school', I have to agree that the profession has totally changed. No longer, as it was drummed into us, do you have to check sources, give both sides of a story and not 'editorialise'. You could never give your opinion. It was fact, fact, fact. Unless you were writing a column like Mike Gibson.
Journalism is now driven by celebrity, gossip and photos/videos. If there are no images you've got virtually no chance of getting TV coverage. TV can condence a 10-minute interview into a five second grab that totally distorts the truth. Most story angles are discussed by the reporter and producer first, then they get vision to support it.
Radio is the most accurate because most interviews are live. Print media is driven by content. They have a certain number of pages on RL to fill, and anything goes.
I was very proud and priveleged to be a journalist. Now many of them are manipulated by quantity over quality. I'm probably more disgusted than all of you at what has happened to my profession, and one I really loved.

Daniel said:
eagle-rock08 said:
Hey Dan maybe we could open another forum - call it bad journalism and we could post all the rubbish they print there for posterity.

Way ahead of you. I am trying to get http://www.mediabeatup.net finished. It will be for this exactly. though without a forum

You can sell the site to media watch on the ABC.

Add to the millions you are making from this site "a reliable source close to the admin of this site" has told me 'under the condition of anonymity'

:):p

globaleagle said:
Daniel said:
eagle-rock08 said:
Hey Dan maybe we could open another forum - call it bad journalism and we could post all the rubbish they print there for posterity.

Way ahead of you. I am trying to get http://www.mediabeatup.net finished. It will be for this exactly. though without a forum

You can sell the site to media watch on the ABC.

Add to the millions you are making from this site "a reliable source close to the admin of this site" has told me 'under the condition of anonymity'

:):p

You could call it "Idiot Watch"

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Anyone who has seen the great 1970s film ' Network' will remember how journalism standards were marginalised and trivialised in the pursuit of ratings and profits at a TV network. What has transpired in real life in recent times is so eerily reminiscent (reality TV etc) of the film.

'Idiocracy' whilst not in the same league, takes a similar premise even further.

These changing standards reflect the growing tension between the mooted independence of the Fourth Estate, on one hand, and private ownership of the media, on the other.

Won't somebody think of the children?!!

I wonder if the quest for ratings is still, or ever was an adequate reason for the de-evolution of journalistic standards.

In sport reporting, however, I think a market exists for the reporting we all crave and the hyperbole and extremists excuses are just a reflection of a lack of writing talent, research skills and agendas that they feel need to be pushed.

If Derryn Hinch were alive he'd say "shame, sports journos shame"

He's alive? Well hurry up and say it then!

globaleagle said:
Won't somebody think of the children?!!

I wonder if the quest for ratings is still, or ever was an adequate reason for the de-evolution of journalistic standards.

In sport reporting, however, I think a market exists for the reporting we all crave and the hyperbole and extremists excuses are just a reflection of a lack of writing talent, research skills and agendas that they feel need to be pushed.

If Derryn Hinch were alive he'd say "shame, sports journos shame"

He's alive? Well hurry up and say it then!

Don't mention Hinch together with 'think of the children'. You obviously haven't heard of his book 'Fall and Rise of Derryn Hinch'.

The problem doesn't originate at journalist level, they get their cue for standards from editorial level, and they get their cues from higher up.

Whichever journo rang Dave Taylor - and announced he was going to write the story even after Dave said it wasn't true – should be hounded for an explanation by whatever section of his own profession still has aspirations for a semblance of ethics and professional standards.

The tragic thing about the Brett Stewart case is that 90% of RL fans still believe that headline that he was so drunk he didn't remember anything. They think he got away with it on the back of some high priced lawyers.

The scoops that wrote that drivel should be banned for life from getting anywhere near a newspaper.

MM that is right. Most of us know that it turned out (surprise!) there were no witnesses as claimed in that report. If there were they would have been brought to the trial and told to give their evidence under oath.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6