mayor exposes penn

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's hard to see any meaningful outcome (i.e. fairer leasing arrangements and an upgraded venue) when one side resorts to personal attacks on the other.

It's hard to see any meaningful outcome (i.e. fairer leasing arrangements and an upgraded venue) when one side resorts to personal attacks on the other.
Agree - we will have a whole off season of this. :mad:

Still can't understand the rational that the change in shareholdings by Penn is somehow a reason for the Council to tear up a lucrative rental agreement :wondering:
Also the simplistic comment that Beaver will be elected by the Rate payers and he will magically give free access to Brookie.
Democracy does not work like that, even if Beaver won in a landslide.@:cool:

But it's interesting to see that Manly breaks even at 11k attendance, even at double the rental of previous years.

Your last point could indicate that the income stream from the existing corporate facilities is adequate. Certainly I think that the Tzannes scheme offers the best (and most realistic) hope for an improved 'bottom line' at Brookvale.

My gut feeling is that Warringah council will not buckle one bit. They know that Manly is a revenue earner for them and for the club to move its home ground will be costly to the club.

My preference is to see the ground upgraded and modernised into a 25K all seat stadium, that would be amazing but I am also of the belief that right now this is just pie in the sky.

The Penns know this and the NRL I expect within 5 years are going to force the clubs hand in relation to our home ground.

Time is running out for Brookvale, we have had 2 decades of debate about it and little action. I want the club to survive and prosper but my concern is that we seem to be falling further and further behind when it comes to sponsorship and investment. At the moment we are not able to compete with our rivals when it comes down to money.

I think Leichhardt oval (Balmain) had issues with their council.. er, Leichhardt.
from memory didn't Kogarah have govt funds directed their way for their upgrade?
Penrith may have another model where the RLC have more influence ?
Cronulla/

stadium upgrades need to be funded from somewhere. In reality most people probably enjoy an afternoon out watching a game of footy somewhere like North Sydney Oval, Henson Park and Brooky rather than some white elephant of a stadium like homebush.. but it's not about that is it ?
Northern Spirit had issues with the cost of lighting at NSO which led to them bleeding money too from memory.. so it said in the papers back then anyway.

Last edited:
It is even harder when the council resorts to unreasonable and unfair financial attacks on our club . The council has always been a pain in the ass for us as far as I can remember

I agree with the Mayor here. They are looking for a reason to move out. If the council wont approve 30 story buildings so they can make profits from land deals or give the oval to the penns , then they want out.
(scott)
Yes I fear that our days of playing at brookie are numbered if the Penns and NRL get their way

What I have heard is that the NRL is currently planning towards Manly playing most of their games at the football stadium with three games being played at brookie each year.

These games will be known as back to brookie games.

We are not even guaranteed to be playing at Brookie this year as Manly has no agreement to play there.

Yes I fear that our days of playing at brookie are numbered if the Penns and NRL get their way

What I have heard is that the NRL is currently planning towards Manly playing most of their games at the football stadium with three games being played at brookie each year.

We are not even guaranteed to be playing at Brookie this year as Manly has no agreement to play there.
The Three game memberships will sell out!

It is even harder when the council resorts to unreasonable and unfair financial attacks on our club . The council has always been a pain in the ass for us as far as I can remember
Oh come on, don't you think the Club should just blindly pay extortionate rates without a fight. Surely you agree that they should continue to lose money on Brookie games. Yes I know Grant Mayer made a profit at Brookie, but the increase in the council fees since then can just be on charged in the ticket prices can't they............

Oh come on, don't you think the Club should just blindly pay extortionate rates without a fight. Surely you agree that they should continue to lose money on Brookie games. Yes I know Grant Mayer made a profit at Brookie, but the increase in the council fees since then can just be on charged in the ticket prices can't they............

Manly agreed to these rates and signed a binding agreement - that was all done with the Board's sign off, with the Penn's 3/7 representation.

The Council won't give up as they have the signed lease, so it's Lawyers at 10 paces.:cool:

Dave Perry is the CEO that put Manly in the black for the first time in decades - he was the first to be 'tapped' :confused:

I love how Warringah Council now say high rise is bad, when they royally screwed dee why for the last 30 years. Brookvale would actually have been a better place to zone for units.
Haha yeah, how tall is the building where the beautiful old Dee Why hotel used to be?

Which stadium are you referring to Tookey? SFS of ANZ?

All this is a tough one to call. I think both the Penns and the council are at fault.

We all know the council is anti-Manly. They consider Rugby League to be a bit common and working class, dragging the property values of their otherwise exclusive beachside community down. If we were to leave the area, they would rejoice, although I'm not sure what they think they could do with Brookie Oval if we did leave.

As for the Penns, they are correct in saying that they are getting screwed by the council. Their job should be to dig their heels in by refusing to leave and refusing to be extorted. They should be publicly calling the council out on their anti-Manly/anti-history stance. Instead they are playing the "threatening to leave" card. This doesn't work when it's the outcome the people you're fighting actually want.

As long as we don't leave Sydney, I'll stay a supporter, but I won't ever support a Central Coast team.

How do we not make money on the brooky games?

Call is 500K to hire for the year, thats 50K per game. We average more than 10 thousand at more than $25 per ticket but lets just say its $25. That is more than 250K per game. So we spend less than 20% on hiring fees. By the time you take corporate boxes and sponsorship into it I expect that would be less than 10%.

Where is the other 80%+ going?

Zorbas lunch?

The councils is making rediculous requests with what they are charging. The Penns are making rediculous requests with those high rises. Rat park it is and let's move forward.

Thank God we have an off season of positivity, with no-one leaving (or wanting to leave) the playing group. Marquee players are signing with us. We look fit and strong with ( Buhrer / Lawrence) coming back.

The coaching staff look really committed, and we will look like a different machine next season.

Exciting times ahead. I'm done whingeing and complaining about admin staff and suits.

The councils is making rediculous requests with what they are charging. The Penns are making rediculous requests with those high rises. Rat park it is and let's move forward.

Rat Park holds about five thousand people, has almost zero corporate facilities and would never be ratified (pun) by the NRL.
We don't have anywhere near the funding to knock it down and start again.

At the trial last year at rat park the players couldn't get in to the field because they couldn't get through the ****fight of people in the canteen lines.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4