Matty Johns RE Sam Burgess

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Or maybe he will be disillusioned with the way souths treated him (his older brother I mean) @;)
better
Let's play up this angle...DT, SMH, Horse and Hound....take note.

Let's play up this angle...DT, SMH, Horse and Hound....take note.
Well how soon till the rumblings about George and Tom not having re-signed get louder or because this is Souths, the media just play dumb and ignore it until they playing for someone else

Well how soon till the rumblings about George and Tom not having re-signed get louder or because this is Souths, the media just play dumb and ignore it until they playing for someone else
Excellent point...although the media don't need to 'play' dumb - it's intrinsic! :drunk:

Let us say for a micro-second that Sam Burgess wants to return to the NRL.

How would the NRL handle this? IMHO they would move mountains to get him either to South Sydney or the team they own, the Titans.

Manly could offer him the moon but the NRL would step in like they appeared to do with DCE and make sure he does not play for Manly.

Further how the NRL allegedly moved DCE to the Titans is there any legal recourse opened to Manly? I cannot proffer an opinion as I am simply a country practice accountant and not a lawyer.

Any lawyers amongst us who may like to offer an opinion and let us know their thoughts? Obviously the opinion would not be worth much simply because we don't have all the facts. But it would be interesting to speculate from an informed perspective.

Let us say for a micro-second that Sam Burgess wants to return to the NRL.

How would the NRL handle this? IMHO they would move mountains to get him either to South Sydney or the team they own, the Titans.

Manly could offer him the moon but the NRL would step in like they appeared to do with DCE and make sure he does not play for Manly.

Further how the NRL allegedly moved DCE to the Titans is there any legal recourse opened to Manly? I cannot proffer an opinion as I am simply a country practice accountant and not a lawyer.

Any lawyers amongst us who may like to offer an opinion and let us know their thoughts? Obviously the opinion would not be worth much simply because we don't have all the facts. But it would be interesting to speculate from an informed perspective.
I don't reckon he'd go to the tits. He'd stay in Sydney around his brothers. Whether that was at souths or whoever I just can't see him leaving sydney

Legally all the NRL has done is say they will guarantee his money, which they do for every player, so there is nothing wrong there unfortunately.

Ethically it stinks but so does a lot of what the NRL does.

As for trading while insolvent and that whole argument, dunno...

If there was any truth to him wanting to come back. I would think that Souths and Manly would be in the box seat. Obviously he has history at Souths, he has brothers at both clubs, and he was very close to coming to Manly in the first place until Rusty offered him his Golden Globe :*

all I worry about, with all the veterans and rising stars departing our great club is that the shine is off the apple in terms of our recruitment. We don't look like a desirable place to come to at the moment, with all the player movements, a seemingly hamstrung coach and an aging roster (still quality, but face the facts, 3-4 senior players are getting towards the end of their career) add to that our owners/ board hasn't really had a strong presence in the media in the face of all this. we don't really look like we got our **** together. (even if we do, appearances suggest otherwise) and this could really hamper any recruitment plans.

I hate to sound negative, but not much has gone right in terms of roster movements lately, and its not like there is quality available at the drop of a hat to match the quality we have lost/could lose.

James Tamou rumour could well be fact & though has been a dud in recent times & would much prefer Scott - we have turned much less potential into quality forwards so happy enough with this...if Sam Burgess jumps on board I will be a backflip naked which wont be pretty & end up with a horrible injury ....but I will try!
Take George while we are there & ANY of the available halves will shine behind these big boppers

all I worry about, with all the veterans and rising stars departing our great club is that the shine is off the apple in terms of our recruitment. We don't look like a desirable place to come to at the moment, with all the player movements, a seemingly hamstrung coach and an aging roster (still quality, but face the facts, 3-4 senior players are getting towards the end of their career) add to that our owners/ board hasn't really had a strong presence in the media in the face of all this. we don't really look like we got our **** together. (even if we do, appearances suggest otherwise) and this could really hamper any recruitment plans.

I hate to sound negative, but not much has gone right in terms of roster movements lately, and its not like there is quality available at the drop of a hat to match the quality we have lost/could lose.
Can't argue with that. It's time likes these when Recruitment Officers, and management earn their pay packets.

The media really can influence this to some degree as perception is as good as reality for many people, and we are in the cross-hairs it would seem. Normally a bad run of press can be diverted by a well timed scandal in someone else's backyard; sadly, even the major coke scandal at the Titans hasn't made a difference. The media seem resolute in their focus on us - I just want to punch their collective noses :punch:

Who is saying Sam Burgess is joining us? Matt Johns said he could be coming back 2 the NRL he never mentioned us. He also run the rumour he always spins about folau coming back 2 the NRL today it was just another day another story by Johns.

I don't like the thought of the NRL finding third party deals for DCE, but they own and run the club now, they have to help it. Besides, I think most Manly fans are glad he's gone.
The best way to get Sammy at Manly is to bring Tom over. Souths will re-sign George, but they'll be in no place to buy Sammy.
I believe if Manly got Sam Burgess interested the NRL would be 100% for the move.

Legally all the NRL has done is say they will guarantee his money, which they do for every player, so there is nothing wrong there unfortunately.

Ethically it stinks but so does a lot of what the NRL does.

As for trading while insolvent and that whole argument, dunno...

Ethics it appears may not be foremost in many people's minds and that may be reflected in organisations and organisational behaviour.

I take a great pride in being ethical myself. The CPA's quite often quote Kohlberg as a chart of ethical development. Please see below.

LEVEL STAGE SOCIAL ORIENTATION

Pre-conventional
1 Obedience and Punishment
2 Individualism, Instrumentalism, and Exchange
(In other words, do it because you'll be punished if you don't do the right thing. But only if you get caught.)

The first level of moral thinking is that generally found at the elementary school level. In the first stage of this level, people behave according to socially acceptable norms because they are told to do so by some authority figure (e.g., parent or teacher). This obedience is compelled by the threat or application of punishment. The second stage of this level is characterized by a view that right behaviour means acting in one's own best interests.

Conventional
3 "Good boy/girl"
4 Law and Order
(In other words, do it because others should treat you the same.)

The second level of moral thinking is that generally found in society, hence the name "conventional." The first stage of this level (stage 3) is characterized by an attitude which seeks to do what will gain the approval of others. The second stage is one oriented to abiding by the law and responding to the obligations of duty.

Post-conventional
5 Social Contract
6 Principled Conscience
(Finally, do it because it is the right thing to do regardless of the negative consequences to all including self.)

The third level of moral thinking is one that Kohlberg felt is not reached by the majority of adults. Its first stage (stage 5) is an understanding of social mutuality and a genuine interest in the welfare of others. The last stage (stage 6) is based on respect for universal principle and the demands of individual conscience. While Kohlberg always believed in the existence of Stage 6 and had some nominees for it, he could never get enough subjects to define it, much less observe their longitudinal movement to it.

So based on this knowledge has the NRL acted ethically?

I will not judge the NRL but leave it up to you dear reader to form your own opinion.

(By the way, I am sorry about this being a little too deep for this forum but feel it expresses a point of view.)

2 be honest I couldn't give a **** what the NRL did he was going 2 the GC or the sharks that's the facts. He couldn't wait 2 get out of the club and Foz is with him so we can try and find out what the problems are in our club or we can keep blaming others. Foz is quitting the club we can't blame the NRL for that Watmough quit the club nothing 2 do with the NRL.

Who is saying Sam Burgess is joining us? Matt Johns said he could be coming back 2 the NRL he never mentioned us. He also run the rumour he always spins about folau coming back 2 the NRL today it was just another day another story by Johns.
Correct, but nothing like a good extrapolation based on..well..not much. We just want to see who will take the bait and write a story on it.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4