Matty Ballin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This thread is all but over guys. Have any of you read the korisau signing article on nrl site? Phillip Ronald Gould has spilled the beans. We released Api from the final year of his contract as the Manly club have garaunteed him a starting hooker position that we could not as he is behind Segyaro. Or words to that effect.
Ballin is one of the greatest hookers of all time IMO but he has lost his spot already next year. Retire into fitness coach go to UK or just go in to his own business. I doubt he will be keen to play second fiddle.

Heat's on Eagles

Geoff Toovey knows his days are numbered in Eagles land, but expect the heat to move to the Sea Eagles' current playing roster – even established and recently contracted stars like Matt Ballin are not safe. The signing of Apisai Korisau, Nate Myles, Darcy Lussick and Lewis Brown has put the all current forwards on notice including Ballin. The club favourite was the last player signed by Toovey. Since then Bob Fulton and Joe Kelly have been in the driver's seat for team rebuilding. It's significant that Korisau and Brown can both play at hooker and are smart out of dummy-half. Ballin has a deal, but is under enormous pressure. The pressure on him will not please Manly fans, who have enormous regard for him, but it's part of the tough decisions being taken right now. Recruitment manager Dave Warwick and coaching and development manager Simon Healey were made redundant. Warwick has accepted his redundancy. The club is moving in an entirely different direction in recruitment/junior development and adopting a much wider national and international plan, with representatives working on the ground in Queensland, NSW, New Zealand and, from next season, Fiji. It appears that Toovey's supporters are wasting their time. The decision has been made on Trent Barrett.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...-outer-over-tackle-drama-20150704-gi5908.html

Manly's problem now is how to mix Ballin, Hodges (may play today), Api and perhaps Brown ( saw glimpses of dummy half Friday) into what Barrett wants.
Next is getting that power over the advantage line......see Rorters, Dogs and Souths. Then your backs with DCE are unleashed to show their thing.
Rumours are that Moa is deciding between us and Penrith. Long drive to Penrith Sam and no beaches!
To me if we get him or Alex Glenn, Killer at five eighth for 2016......that's maybe enough?
What do you guys think?

Still not 100% sure on Lussick for Manly.
However given that we get him what about this pack:
Moa, Ballin, Jake T, Myles, Lussick, Lawrence, Brown, Api,
Buhrer, Lui? Could throw heaps of names for the last spot on bench.
Alex Glenn if no Moa.
Positions in pack not too relevant these day so long as you have six animals out there at once, Souths played Sam Burgess at lock.....

Still not 100% sure on Lussick for Manly.
However given that we get him what about this pack:
Moa, Ballin, Jake T, Myles, Lussick, Lawrence, Brown, Api,
Buhrer, Lui? Could throw heaps of names for the last spot on bench.
Alex Glenn if no Moa.
Positions in pack not too relevant these day so long as you have six animals out there at once, Souths played Sam Burgess at lock.....

Not true, modern day forward packs play with 3 middle forwards, 2 edge forwards and a hooker

Sam Burgess was a middle forward no matter what number was on his back

Your pack has 5 middle forwards and would get killed in defense on thr edges where tricky centres would carve up

A more balanced pack would be

8.Tamou/Moa
9.Ballin
10.Trbojevic
11.Brown (edge)
12.Buhrer (edge)
13.Myles (middle)

14.Korisoau
15.Lussick (middle)
16.Lawrence (middle)
17.Symonds (edge)

Yeah, wouldn't mind knowing about Lussick one way or the other. I think I was kinda harsh on him when he left but...I am sure he doesn't care and I reckon he's gotten better.

I remember when Matty recently re-signed, the out pouring of goodwill by all of us on here. It's kinda of a pity that it's dropped somewhat.

Not true, modern day forward packs play with 3 middle forwards, 2 edge forwards and a hooker

Sam Burgess was a middle forward no matter what number was on his back

Your pack has 5 middle forwards and would get killed in defense on thr edges where tricky centres would carve up

A more balanced pack would be

8.Tamou/Moa
9.Ballin
10.Trbojevic
11.Brown (edge)
12.Buhrer (edge)
13.Myles (middle)

14.Korisoau
15.Lussick (middle)
16.Lawrence (middle)
17.Symonds (edge)
Middle, edge etc. I watched our 96 semi yesterday vs sharks. On a few occasions including our last try gartner made a break then passed to his 2nd row partner beaver. Those were the days. The backs were deep and the halves were passing 20 metres regularly. The game looked so much better than the tight, regulated, flat game of today.

Disco you misread my intentions. Those names were the main players to use. The coach can determine who he uses and when. Just trying to get the top ten forwards, run on and bench for 2016.
Numbers on back sometimes don't matter is what I mean eg. Sam Burgess.

Heat's on Eagles

Geoff Toovey knows his days are numbered in Eagles land, but expect the heat to move to the Sea Eagles' current playing roster – even established and recently contracted stars like Matt Ballin are not safe. The signing of Apisai Korisau, Nate Myles, Darcy Lussick and Lewis Brown has put the all current forwards on notice including Ballin. The club favourite was the last player signed by Toovey. Since then Bob Fulton and Joe Kelly have been in the driver's seat for team rebuilding. It's significant that Korisau and Brown can both play at hooker and are smart out of dummy-half. Ballin has a deal, but is under enormous pressure. The pressure on him will not please Manly fans, who have enormous regard for him, but it's part of the tough decisions being taken right now. Recruitment manager Dave Warwick and coaching and development manager Simon Healey were made redundant. Warwick has accepted his redundancy. The club is moving in an entirely different direction in recruitment/junior development and adopting a much wider national and international plan, with representatives working on the ground in Queensland, NSW, New Zealand and, from next season, Fiji. It appears that Toovey's supporters are wasting their time. The decision has been made on Trent Barrett.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...-outer-over-tackle-drama-20150704-gi5908.html
Drastic times call for drastic measures

It sounds like the message to the players is that, unlike this year with some, reputation alone doesn't mean you are an automatic selection.

a pack of:
8 Moa
9 Ballin
10 Myles
11 Buhrer
12 Brown
13 Trbojevic

14 Koroisau
15 Lussick
16 Sao / Lawrence
17 Symonds
would be up there with some of the best in the comp IMO

Yeah, wouldn't mind knowing about Lussick one way or the other. I think I was kinda harsh on him when he left but...I am sure he doesn't care and I reckon he's gotten better.

I remember when Matty recently re-signed, the out pouring of goodwill by all of us on here. It's kinda of a pity that it's dropped somewhat.
Hodges missed plenty of tackles today, which put us under pressure. He didn't offer all that much more in attack as I didn't see too many darting runs from dummy half and at one time he was caught standing up whilst the ball was at his feet after it had been played. I would give him 10 mins at the end of the first half and if we need a lift another 10 in the second. Ballin is very underrated, leave him out at our peril imho.

Heat's on Eagles

I'm ok with the direction management are taking. Sounds more professional and targeted than what we've done in the past.

Hodges missed plenty of tackles today, which put us under pressure. He didn't offer all that much more in attack as I didn't see too many darting runs from dummy half and at one time he was caught standing up whilst the ball was at his feet after it had been played. I would give him 10 mins at the end of the first half and if we need a lift another 10 in the second. Ballin is very underrated, leave him out at our peril imho.
And his passing was terrible. Would not have hit the 3 ring on a passing competition

It sounds like the message to the players is that, unlike this year with some, reputation alone doesn't mean you are an automatic selection.
Hodges missed a grand total of 2 according to NRL.com. I think he was fine in attack today.
That's the trouble with our team we have too many players that are on the fine line and not many that are fantastic . I cant see Hodges holding a spot with us next year

Last edited:
I liked what he did today. Did some good dummy half running and got our forwards rolling forward. Also good to see Hodges give him a rest too. Marty is a great defender and is needed whilst Buhrer is out.

I thought both Ballin and Hodges were very good in attack today. Ballin in particular had a real dig in attack from dummy half.

Hodges was solid but not great today but Ballin looked 10 times sharper and that was/is the point.

Between the both of them they ran 8 times for almost 100m, when Ballin playes 80 minutes he runs 3 or 4 times for about 20m.

Hodges has now played 3 times this year for 2 wins, he cant be hurting us that much

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7