Matt Prior Elbowing Thurston

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How Many Weeks should Prior get ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fair dinkum 3 matches would be heaps.

Before you jump p and down TRex should of got 1-2 matches.

What's ring with people wanting big suspensions.

Chip and Chase said:
HappilyManly said:
Prior's main problem is that JT did not have the ball.
So 'Intentional attack of a Player not in possession' should get 8+ weeks.

Forgetting about the legality of the hit for a minute, that's a harsh assessment given that he was already committed. I can't see how you could deem that tackle late to be honest, Thurston went to the line and passed late, Prior had no chance of avoiding contact.

Regarding the contact, definitely high but those claiming an intentional elbow to the head are drawing a long bow. Just got his elbow too high as he braced for a hit, careless and clumsy for mine but should still get 4-6 depending on priors. Players need to know that if they are going to employ tackling methods that don't involve wrapping your arms around the player then you carry a higher level of responsibility if it goes wrong.

Have another look at the footage, he raises his forearm, of course it was intentional.

bob dylan said:

We want consistency, Les Boyd missed a year for a mirror image shot

Prior should miss a year

bob dylan said:
Yeah but Bucknall want suspended for breaking Sattlers jaw.

Still, different event same player, other than the difference in definition I can't see how Prior doesn't get the same punishment, thug elbow is thuggish

The precedent was set years ago, you elbow a face you miss 12 months, if they don't its nothing but spineless as it was a deliberate thug act,I want blood for the children who watched this and might try to emulate their hero

Boyd got ****ed, Tony got ****ed, i'm just asking for consistency

I'm happy he has been directly referred to the panel

he has been referred straight to the judiciary, he will get a min 5 weeks.

Esp cause the hit was on thurston.

Elbow was raised & made contact with the head, 4 to 6 weeks.

The Eagle said:
bob dylan said:

Prior should miss a year

It was no where near as bad as Les Boyd's hit on Brohman

If you accept the claim of accidental for this elbow to the head, then to be fair you'd have to do that for every elbow to the head. There is nothing that establishes it to be more accidental than any other elbow to the head.

The AFL have got it right IMO. Their policy is implicitly guided by the principle that the more damage you do to another (illegally), the more damage you do to yourself (suspension).

And it must be significantly more than the T-Rex suspension if there is any logic to the system.

TokyoEagle said:
The Eagle said:
bob dylan said:

Prior should miss a year

It was no where near as bad as Les Boyd's hit on Brohman

The word your looking for is identical

It was seriously an ugly attack of a defenceless opponent's head. I think it will be 8 to 10 weeks and I would be accepting of that.

That's a joke. Trex accidentally throws an opponent, prior deliberately elbows a bloke in the head. Absolute joke

ST GEORGE Illawarra forward Matt Prior has been suspended for five matches by the NRL judiciary for his elbow to the head of North Queensland captain Johnathan Thurston.

Prior was sent off for the nasty incident last Friday night at Dairy Farmers Stadium and became the first player referred straight to the judiciary without a grading charge since Ben Ross in 2008.

The Dragons back-rower said his actions weren't intentional and argued Thurston had slipped before the impact, resulting in the high contact.

Prior said he was instructed by coach Matt Price to put pressure on Thurston throughout the match and he was simply trying to "bump" the Cowboys halfback as he believed he had legally earlier in the match.

It took judiciary panel members Mal Cochrane, Bob Lindner and Sean Garlick just a few minutes to decide that Prior's offence should carry 550 points and result in a five-match ban........Lucky it was only an elbow to the head. Imagine if he'd brushed past him causing his shirt to move.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4