Matt Prior Elbowing Thurston

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How Many Weeks should Prior get ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thurston wouldn't last long in the UFC. Prior should get 10 weeks, will get 4-6.

A penalty sufficient. NOthing more. We are getting softer by the minute. How many players dive now !

Ryan said:
A penalty sufficient. NOthing more. We are getting softer by the minute. How many players dive now !
What Prior did was the football equivalent of king hitting someone in a pub. Thurston definitely did'nt take a dive. Nothing wrong with playing the game hard ( guys like Terry Randall could hurt people within the rules) but an elbow to the head has always been a dog act.

Prior is fortunate he was wearing red and white instead of maroon and white, otherwise he could expect double the time on the sidelines (whatever he ends up getting).

HappilyManly said:
Prior's main problem is that JT did not have the ball.
So 'Intentional attack of a Player not in possession' should get 8+ weeks.

Forgetting about the legality of the hit for a minute, that's a harsh assessment given that he was already committed. I can't see how you could deem that tackle late to be honest, Thurston went to the line and passed late, Prior had no chance of avoiding contact.

Regarding the contact, definitely high but those claiming an intentional elbow to the head are drawing a long bow. Just got his elbow too high as he braced for a hit, careless and clumsy for mine but should still get 4-6 depending on priors. Players need to know that if they are going to employ tackling methods that don't involve wrapping your arms around the player then you carry a higher level of responsibility if it goes wrong.

Chip and Chase said:
HappilyManly said:
Prior's main problem is that JT did not have the ball.
So 'Intentional attack of a Player not in possession' should get 8+ weeks.

Forgetting about the legality of the hit for a minute, that's a harsh assessment given that he was already committed. I can't see how you could deem that tackle late to be honest, Thurston went to the line and passed late, Prior had no chance of avoiding contact.

Regarding the contact, definitely high but those claiming an intentional elbow to the head are drawing a long bow. Just got his elbow too high as he braced for a hit, careless and clumsy for mine but should still get 4-6 depending on priors. Players need to know that if they are going to employ tackling methods that don't involve wrapping your arms around the player then you carry a higher level of responsibility if it goes wrong.

I disagree. I think it was intentinal. A couple of plays before he elbowed a guy when he made a mistake by putting his foot into touch. He was out for blood after the cowboys ruffled his feathers. This will be factored in when he fronts the judiciary.

It wasn't intentional in the slightest. You think Prior would knowingly elbow one of the games biggest names in the head for nothing?

Accident. Treat it as such. Penalise him during the game. Lets all move on.

I agree with what others have said comparing it to T-Rex.

He'll get about 6 weeks.

He should get the season.......but he won't.

Great player? - a good solid 1st grader at absolute best. Very ordinary tackle as was TRex's however his ban was excessive. So would say 4-5 max.

Tony Williams punishment was ridiculous. I think that was a clear, "we are sending a message to the rest of the competition", but at Tony's and Manly's expense.

Intentional? - only he would know ( but I doubt it )
Careless? - Bloody oath
Reckless? - Yep
2 out of 3 = bad

The usual defence, "it's not his go, he didn't mean it, it went wrong,
I'm really sorry, etc"
That may be true, but he dead set didn't miss and they've been trying to crackdown on protecting the kickers. He went for a shoulder shot and
F%*d up.
A worse look for the game than T-Rex's fling but won't get that long.
He should imo, but I doubt it.

Apparently his brother died last week. No excuse to elbow people but i guess he is probably not as focused as he should be.

12-16 weeks is sufficient imo.

Napper said:
Apparently his brother died last week. No excuse to elbow people but i guess he is probably not as focused as he should be.

His brother died last week and he tried to kill thurston this week .

BOZO said:
Napper said:

His brother died last week and he tried to kill thurston this week .

He did it just after he ****ed up and got into a scuffle

Who gives a ****,12 months

This from the bloke on the receiving end

" Johnathan Thurston believes headgear saved him from a broken cheekbone or jaw injury that almost certainly would have ended his Origin I campaign.

Thurston was yesterday feeling remarkably well after recovering from the ugliest attempted shoulder charge of the NRL season when St George Illawarra forward Matt Prior hit the North Queensland five-eighth with a raised elbow.

While Thurston acknowledged Prior's sincere attempt to apologise after the Cowboys' 30-6 win, he didn't accept the explanation of a shoulder charge gone wrong.

"A shoulder charge with the elbow, I don't think so," Thurston said."

Definitely worse than T-rex, but T-rex got way too much, so what he should get and what he should get if they stay consistant are 2 different things.

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but what possible explanation can he have for leading with his elbow?

Looks like he will be gone for a while. The NRL website reports that he has been referred straight to the judiciary. I reckon it will be 10 weeks.

castle eagle said:
can anyone remember how long hoppa snr. was suspended for re. the shot he put on a cronulla player?

17 weeks. But that was probably about 10 weeks for the hit and 7 weeks loading.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6