Matt Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Jethro link said:
http://www.nrl.com/orford-under-pressure-to-retain-his-spot/tabid/10874/newsid/62070/default.aspx

Some of that article sounds very familiar to some of the thoughts here that were written about him here during the 2009 season (most notably: Orford's kicking game was awful. The ball frequently missed its mark and at times lacked depth.

\"I thought a couple of times there, especially when we needed some high kicks, we needed to drive the ball a little bit further down,\" Furner said in obvious reference to his halfback).

How much did Canberra pay for Orford?

I'm not bagging Ox, he captained us to a premiership.
I do however wonder how much they paid for him, and how much cap would be eaten up in the event that they dropped him.

That being said, he needs game time to gel with his new team, so I don't think they will make sudden changes just yet.

Bradford would be laughing right about now

Post  automatically merged: [time]1301795397[/time]

Also have a look at a Raiders forum

It's painful to watch him play now, looks like the game is past him.

Can't help but feel that he should've gone to England after 08, played a few years & retired. It's not like he'll be out of a job either, he could easily get a gig in the media or as a coach. Seems a shame to taint a good career by playing a few years too long.

He was our Captain in 2008 and as such I have great respect for him....but I agree should have stayed in England.

I started the post. I did not intend to be an Orford basher. I am Matties biggest fan, he is an eagles legend. A Manly premiership winning captain, but he should have retired or stayed in England. If he is selected for Canberra next week (and I don't think he will be) it is only a matter of time before he finishes in the NSW cup.

He doesn't deserve an ending like that, but he is the one that chose to come back. It's sad, but it's the NRL and he just can't cut it now.

Ralphie link said:
[quote author=Ceagle link=topic=187278.msg330147#msg330147 date=1301810867]
How many years did they sign him?

2 Years
[/quote]
on what $$$?

bhot link said:
[quote author=Ralphie link=topic=187278.msg330149#msg330149 date=1301811000]

2 Years
[/quote]
on what $$$?
[/quote]

I don't know the $$$ but I suspect it wasn't cheap because Parra were chasing him too.

I bet Parra feel relieved tight now.

I felt sorry for him the other night but then thanked the gods that we couldn't 'afford' him this year.

Ralphie link said:
[quote author=bhot link=topic=187278.msg330176#msg330176 date=1301816626]
[quote author=Ralphie link=topic=187278.msg330149#msg330149 date=1301811000]

2 Years
[/quote]
on what $$$?
[/quote]

I don't know the $$$ but I suspect it wasn't cheap because Parra were chasing him too.

I bet Parra feel relieved tight now.
[/quote]

I'm not sure how relieved Parra would feel.  They still have Robson and Mortimer as their halves pairing.

I think its too early to make a call on Ox.  He may well and truly be old and past it but he's coming of zero preseason, that's coming from both fitness and training with a new team.  Tough to make an instant impact.  I think the Raiders have done him a disservice by throwing him in their when he is obviously underdone.

Although the Raiders fans have taken him to into their hearts:

He's old, he's slow, it's time for him to go,
He's short, he's round, and he drops them on the ground,
Can't kick, can't catch, and he just cost us the match.

I reckon that chant sums him up. Never liked him before he came to Manly, never liked him when he was at manly. Yeah he was a premiership winning capt. But I'm confident we would still have won the comp without him in the team in 08, yes he contributed but we did not win in on the back of the little gnome, we had a great team..

Ryno link said:
I reckon that chant sums him up. Never liked him before he came to Manly, never liked him when he was at manly. Yeah he was a premiership winning capt. But I'm confident we would still have won the comp without him in the team in 08, yes he contributed but we did not win in on the back of the little gnome, we had a great team..

Ox did have some stinker games for us but make no mistake he was an extremely important member of our team.  After the commotion of the 09 season launch and the injury to Stewart we still finished 5th and alot of that was due to Ox.  I thought individually his 09 season was better than 08, however he just had a couple of shockers in there, most notably of course the semi against the Storm but if the Dragons hadn't chocked against the Eels we would have gotten another crack at it.

I know one person who will never bag Ox and thats Snake.  They had a wonderful combination, just looking at the 08 highlights and how many times those two combining was awesome.  Those sorts of things are hard to develop, even if Snake never had the time out of the game he woud have struggled to have the same chemistry with another halfback.

08 GF captain of record breaking team. If you look at other halves he is prob just average throughout his career but will always be remembered as our general in possably my favourite Finals series & GF victory. Now he is a Raider i wish him as much luck as any other player outside the Seaeagles - NONE......

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4