1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matt Orford to sign with the Canberra Raiders

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by davohan123, Jan 10, 2011.

1. davohan123

davohan123 Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +986 / 56
    EXPERIENCED halfback Matt Orford is set to sign with the Raiders, with the playmaker to train with Canberra for the first time today.

The former Manly no.7, who won a grand final with the Sea Eagles in 2008, announced he is joining Canberra at a press conference in the national capital at 11am.

Orford is yet to physically put pen to paper, with the halfback tipped to sign on the dotted line in the next 48 hours after formally gaining a release from UK Super League club Bradford.

Read more at the daily tele

2. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,766 / 72
    Good on him, despite what many think he was great for us, one of the best moments of my life was seeing him lift the trophy in 2008

3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310 / 0
    Re: Matt Orford to sign with the Canberra Raiders

My condolences to Canberra, congrats to Matty for landing another contract though.

The best thing about all this is that he didn't go to Parra.

4. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    On the news at 3 Todd Carney has come out criticised the raiders for signing Orford saying they should have given the younger players a go

5. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

NSW
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 47
    Canberra have enough young players.

6. Rambo1987

Rambo1987 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 2
    I can see Dugan and the young wingers doing well from his short kicking game. His long kicking will be an issue.
    He will help their forwards moving forward.

7. Jonesyv2

Jonesyv2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    This will be a great boost for them, Orford is a class ACT. Dally M player of the year, won a grand final won a world club challenge.

Orford bashers still hate him, but the FACTS are if he wasn't there in 07/08 and even 09 we would of not finished as well as we did in those years.

8. Masked Eagle

Masked Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 0
    I think he'll go great guns for the Raiders playing behind a monster forward pack.  Ego could be a problem when Campo comes back (although depending on who you talk to he might miss the full year) as they are both two dominant ball players but if they gel they will have a gun team.

9. willstyles

willstyles Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Long kicking game won't be a problem when Campo comes back. It is Campo's team and he will assume leadership, and he's got one of the biggest boots in the game.

I think Ox is a good fit for this team. As pointed out, his short-kicking game could be fantastic for a guy like Dugan. His experience should also help them through the tough period when Campo is still injured.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yeah he wont be back till 2012 though, but that dugan will benefit  from orford, i can see the  chip  or bomb being hoisted & dugan running through the middle hoping to latch on to it, much like brett did for us of orfords kicks..

11. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,113 / 287
    I love the Ox. Always did. Never missed the finals with him in the team. A true leader who lead by example. I'm gonna hate seeing him in a filthy slimy green jersey !

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i was reading it in the daily tele site  also  that he hasnt actually put pen to paper yet,,

13. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 15
    Canberra related......
    I saw david furner at the shops a week or so ago up here on the central coast.
    He's bloody huge! He looked like the terminator.
    You'd think he was on the playing roster judging by his appearance.
    They must be working hard on the fitness in the ACT.

14. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    lol BE he was wearing a manly jersey also when he hadnt signed for us yet back then ..

16. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    So is he going to play 6 or 7 ??

17. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,744 / 257
    Good luck to Mattie, I am pleased to see him back in Oz again, too many of our top players head to the ESL...way before they should.....I think you'll see less of that now that the GBP is such poor value

18. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Look at the bloke behind him  LOL

19. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    Good for him, He'll go well.

20. The Eagle

The Eagle Well-Known Member