Matt Ballin is all class

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have found most of them to be quite good.

Jim Curtis used to get around after the games a lot and talk to the fans, he deadset loved it. Buhrer and DCE invited me and a friend in up at the Lyons den back in 2011 for a quick even though we wernt part of the function. It was very nice to have a chat about how they were finding first grade.

Being from Adelaide I have only ever met one Manly player.

I was a ball boy for a match between a South Australian select team and the Gold Coast Seagulls the night before the 1992 Australian F1 Grand Prix. As it was billed as Wally Lewis' last game for the Seagulls, one of the SA 'ringins' was none other than Fatty (also playing were Ricky Walford and Jeff Hardy from St George, organised by their Adelaide based sponsor Penfolds). Currently hanging in my wardrobe is a 1991 Manly jumper (with P&O sponsorship) that has Fatty's signature on it. I really need to get that framed.

Wally was pretty cool actually, as were Walford and Hardy. Fatty was nice to me and happily signed my jumper, but other SA players I knew thought he was a bighead.

My Aunt, who has lived in the same house in Cromer since 1946, is friends with David Hoskings mum and for my birthday in 1992 she sent me over a team poster that Mule got the first grade squad to sign for me.

Daveagle said:
Great stories all of them, they are all inspiring.

How many do you think the smellygraph will plagerise .....

Haha. None! Their only purpose is to bag our team.

Btw, this is an excellent thread. Just got home from work, had a read and thoroughly enjoyed every single post, so thanks.:)

I always get a kiss and hug from Choc wherever I see him. Nothing is ever too much trouble for him, photos, signing shirts etc. I have wonderful friends who ask for photos, hugs from him, for me, when I can't get to games or functions. I have four prized possessions of his, a pair of his boots he signed, my Choc banner signed "To Margaret my number 1 supporter A Watmough", his signed 2011 grand final jersey and a wedding photo of him, Elle and myself. Some people just aren't lucky enough to see the nice side to our Manly guys. Everyone of them are all class.

Peter C said:
Matt Ballin is all class
Agreed.
Here is a picture of Matt celebrating.

JamieBuhrer.jpg

Awesome to hear your Choc encounters. There's been a lot of Choc speculating, even bagging, recently. We need to remember who he has been and still is for Manly. A guy who gives 100% even with his bicep nearly ripped off the bone.

niccipops said:
Awesome to hear your Choc encounters. There's been a lot of Choc speculating, even bagging, recently. We need to remember who he has been and still is for Manly. A guy who gives 100% even with his bicep nearly ripped off the bone.

Thanks @niccipops. :)

Back in 2007 my brother who is a trainer spoke to Matt Ballin about getting some jerseys signed for my then 4 & 7 year old boys.
Matty Ballin said it was all good to pass on his number & call him.
Felt a bit funny but 3 minutes later I was on the phone.....
Sure enough he sent me the fully signed jerseys & then went the extra yards inviting me & the boys to meet him after the Sunshine Coast trial against Melbourne Storm....sure enough he was there with Kitey & Steve Matai & got photo's & spent a while talking to the most easy going blokes you could ever meet....others who took time out were Steve Bell, Ox & an absolute champion fella in Luke Williamson.

marga said:
I always get a kiss and hug from Choc wherever I see him. Nothing is ever too much trouble for him, photos, signing shirts etc. I have wonderful friends who ask for photos, hugs from him, for me, when I can't get to games or functions. I have four prized possessions of his, a pair of his boots he signed, my Choc banner signed "To Margaret my number 1 supporter A Watmough", his signed 2011 grand final jersey and a wedding photo of him, Elle and myself. Some people just aren't lucky enough to see the nice side to our Manly guys. Everyone of them are all class.

Great post marga. Choc forever a Manly legend

Our players are all class.
Different to slater and Smith and Inglis. I asked these guys for an autograph once and they declined. It's ok though, I don't need my copy of 'Storm Clouds' signed for it to be a good read.

I've been lucky enough to meet almost every player for the last decade. They have always been fantastic and that reflects well on themselves and our club. We have an issue for the group with Gift leaving but to me Kitie going is a biggie. He is and will always epitomise the quality of player you want to meet and support. But that is not to belittle any other player as that would be rubbish. And Matty is one of the genuine really nice guys and deserves this thread. His efforts every week are the building block of all our finals appearances. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences as it has been a great read.

Loobs said:
Eagles2nv said:
Yeah MB post career needs an ambassadorial role for the club. He is so respectful both on and off the field.

I don't think there is anyone else in NRL that has the class he has.

I don't think there are many other guys that would have gotten up at 5am most mornings to train their clients like MB did either. I remember I'd see him most mornings at Warriewood beach pushing them up the driveway.

Dunno if he's still doing but you see that and realise why he gives 100% every week. Just a hard working guy...

From all reports Marty still has his P.T business he's employed a few PTS, he also runs a cafe apparently, and one of my mates has just finished a degree on PDHPE teaching with him! As you guys have all said ! He's pure class !!

bennyeagle said:
Loobs said:
Eagles2nv said:
Yeah MB post career needs an ambassadorial role for the club. He is so respectful both on and off the field.

I don't think there is anyone else in NRL that has the class he has.

I don't think there are many other guys that would have gotten up at 5am most mornings to train their clients like MB did either. I remember I'd see him most mornings at Warriewood beach pushing them up the driveway.

Dunno if he's still doing but you see that and realise why he gives 100% every week. Just a hard working guy...

From all reports Marty still has his P.T business he's employed a few PTS, he also runs a cafe apparently, and one of my mates has just finished a degree on PDHPE teaching with him! As you guys have all said ! He's pure class !!

Gurr?

I'm glad Kitey's name has come up in this thread a number of times. I've never met him but some of my Manly buddies have and everything that has been said here they have said. Just a gentleman who is courteous and a top bloke.

That's why if we don't win the comp, it's the Panthers for me. Gus Gould (and Ivan Cleary) seem like people who want to have not only quality players, but quality human beings who can connect with the Penrith area. Enter Kitey.

Matty is ALL class, I've been lucky enough to have a fair a fair bit to do with the team from around 2007-2013, not so this year now I have retired. Matt and his lovely wife Shannon are certainly a credit to the Sea Eagles off the field.

But for me the number 1 guy for fan interaction was Kitey, there was many many times I saw him shine but two for me stood out.

First was an after match function in Auckland, about 2010 I think, we'd won so everyone was in a great mood.......the were a few Kiwi locals who had discovered the MWTS so we got them into the special function we had put on for us, they were sitting down on a four seater couch ( three of them) and in walks the team.

Now the MWTS are pretty used to fan / player interaction but not these guys, they were star struck, and lost for words so they just sat there.......Kitey grabs a beer, spies the spare seat and sits down in the middle, fair dinkum they nearly shat themselves .......he never moved for two hours and I reckon those three young lads will still talk about that for years to come.

Secondly , the MWTS WCC tour group went to a training session , AND it was frigging freezing ( seriously about -5 at 11am), most of the players said a quick hi and left the field immediately , not Kitey, he stayed, kicked the footy with us and joked around for at least 30 minutes after everyone left.

So the much loved and no longer with us Brent Kite gets my vote.

And an honourable mention to big Georgie Rose, his interaction with the fans was first class, and his interaction with the Push it Up crew was indeed special.

Lots and lots more stories but hope you enjoyed these couple.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4