Matt Ballin is all class

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Peter C

Bencher
Returning from Auckland yesterday, my flight was delayed by several hours. I was waiting in the food hall when the team arrived, now I'm a bit of the shy and retiring type so no way was I going to go and approach the team,I'm sure they would not have minded, anyway, Matt Ballin walks by smiles [I'm wearing Manly gear], and says "we really appreciate you all coming here", 'I said great game by all, it was my pleasure".

Peter C said:
Returning from Auckland yesterday, my flight was delayed by several hours. I was waiting in the food hall when the team arrived, now I'm a bit of the shy and retiring type so no way was I going to go and approach the team,I'm sure they would not have minded, anyway, Matt Ballin walks by smiles [I'm wearing Manly gear], and says "we really appreciate you all coming here", 'I said great game by all, it was my pleasure".
Airline planned the delay just for you Peter. Was a wonderful weekend in Auckland.

Eagles2nv said:
Yeah MB post career needs an ambassadorial role for the club. He is so respectful both on and off the field.

I don't think there is anyone else in NRL that has the class he has.

I don't think there are many other guys that would have gotten up at 5am most mornings to train their clients like MB did either. I remember I'd see him most mornings at Warriewood beach pushing them up the driveway.

Dunno if he's still doing but you see that and realise why he gives 100% every week. Just a hard working guy...

More stories like this please!

How good is it when your heroes actually turn out to be good people too? (and dreadful when it's the other way!). It might have been only a small thing, but it shows class (like has been mentioned), and also that the players actually do appreciate the fans.

Matt Ballin has always come across as a top guy. Probably because he is.

Yeah-they are a great bunch of guys to be around. Been to quite a few functions and they are always polite and friendly.
My best memory was sitting with Kitey and his kids after the 08 GF in the Manly Leaguesy talking about the game and how thrilled he was for Beaver and all his mates. You would not of even thought he collected the Churchill medal for his performance. Killer pretty much the same that night-he was such a great guy to have a chat with. All class our boys!

Kiwi Eagle said:
Kite is the best I have come across

Was at a function and he approached me, said hello and asked if there was anything he could do for me
Absolutely, Kite is up there with the best of them. I was in Leeds for the WCC a couple of years ago and the players came to a function we had, a friend asked if I would like to have a photo with Kitey, and he said "would love to". Now I'm only Toovey size, and standing next to Brent can be daunting, I said "you're going to tower over me" and he said, " only in stature" . I would have loved it if he could have finished his career at Manly, but that's football sometimes it doesn't all go to plan.

2008 - my sister works in Country Road in Warringah Mall. It's around the time of my birthday. She sees Steve Menzies walking down the mall. She does the bolt into the closest newsagent and grabs the first birthday card she can find. She then takes off after the great Beaver and politely asks if he could please sign a birthday card for her big brother who is one of his biggest fans. He said he would be delighted too.

The birthday card, signed with a personal message is framed and takes pride of place on my wall at home.

My son met Jamie Lyon at Origin camp in 2010 down in Wollongong. My son was 4 at the time, and really doesn't take to people he doesn't know. My wife approached Jamie and said 'my boy is a big fan or yours....and so is his daddy. Could we get a photo with you?'. I wasn't there, but my wife (a Roosters fan) said that Jamie could not have been nicer. Spoke beautifully to my son, picked him up (my son, Zane, thought he knew him because we watch him on the tv all the time) and took a beautiful photo.

I then had the opportunity to meet Jamie at a function in Mudgee in 2012 (during City Country). I took my photo of him and Zane to get signed. Again he could not have been nicer or more respectful. I told him how Zane think's that he is his best mate. I then later in the night went to leave and went over and said 'lovely to meet you Jamie'. He then said 'tell your boy, Zane, that I said hello'. Which I thought was just a lovely touch.

Even now when we get stuff from the club Zane says 'Did Jamie send me this?', and I always say 'of course'.

So whenever anyone bags Jamie to me. I always tell them to get ........ I would have done that without meeting him, but after meeting him no-one can ever say anything remotely nasty about him to me.

Going back to like NYE 2007/8, I was in line for Shore Thing at Bondi, a little, well, pissed. Talking to the Mrs when I turned to my side and saw the Ox there and just lit up (was always a big fan of the little guy), couldn't contain myself. Badgered him a bit as intoxicated people unfortunately do, but he could not have been nicer, posed for a pic and we all went on our way to have pretty decent 2008...

These are things the media very, very rarely print or broadcast.

I don't think it's a coincidence we have such quality people that just happen to be champion players, too.

Matty B is almost too nice (to be a hooker) but proves you don't need to be a grub or pest to be one of the best.

Thanks to everyone for sharing these much-needed stories.

marga said:
Peter C said:
Airline planned the delay just for you Peter. Was a wonderful weekend in Auckland.
In the end it was worth the delay Margaret, great weekend

Saw Brett Stewart in the Atrium bar at Jupiters Gold coast one night 2011 off season. Mrs was pushing me to go talk to him so I did. Was really nice, congratulated him on the 2011 win, he asked about me and why I support Manly. Was genuinely interested to talk not just being accomodating for the sake of it. Great guy will always remember that. Also Choc after the 2011 GF win getting a picture with him out the back of the Brookie grandstands after they were presented to the crowd. Again nothing too much trouble for them.

Great stories all of them, they are all inspiring.

How many do you think the smellygraph will plagerise .....

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2