mateo to sign??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We all know his potential and the thought of our halves running off the back of some quality second phase play is mouth watering ... then their is the other side to his game. I guess it if happens we'll be hoping he buys in the Manly culture and realises its probably his last decent contract and his best chance at winning a premiership and he plays accordingly. If it does happen it will be one of the signings where everyone will say afterwards they knew he'd either be a gun or a bust.

I wonder though if this comes about might have anything to do with Matai going the other way? I would be thinking that if we are linked to any Warriors player in the next little while.

susan said:
Mateo is a must chase.With no gift we have zero second phase from our forwards which is such a shame with the backs we have.One thing to stay clear of is paying overs for big men who are only average.Would rather bet we keep Richie and Jake T steps up than chase blokes like Hannant.

Glenn Stewart was not a big producer of second phase play had his moments but I would not label him a second phase player.

SBW and Corey Parker are better examples.

Technical Coach said:
susan said:
Mateo is a must chase.With no gift we have zero second phase from our forwards which is such a shame with the backs we have.One thing to stay clear of is paying overs for big men who are only average.Would rather bet we keep Richie and Jake T steps up than chase blokes like Hannant.

Glenn Stewart was not a big producer of second phase play had his moments but I would not label him a second phase player.

You're a genius! A true marvel of the game.

Kevinward777 said:
Technical Coach said:
susan said:

What is your point---I only picked out the above names as better examples of second phase offload players not some genius observation, losing Glenn is not really killing our second phase more just reducing our ball playing forward options.

Buhrer and Symonds have been increasing slowly their ballplaying to try and fill in the gap as the season progressed obviously not at Glenn's level but it was noticeable it was being encouraged.

Technical Coach said:
Kevinward777 said:
Technical Coach said:
susan said:

What is your point---I only picked out the above names as better examples of second phase offload players not some genius observation, losing Glenn is not really killing our second phase more just reducing our ball playing forward options.

Buhrer and Symonds have been increasing slowly their ballplaying to try and fill in the gap as the season progressed obviously not at Glenn's level but it was noticeable it was being encouraged.

No point really. Just taking a step back in awe so I can salivate over your nuggets of brilliance.

Kevinward777 said:
Technical Coach said:
Kevinward777 said:
Technical Coach said:
susan said:

No point really. Just taking a step back in awe so I can salivate over your nuggets of brilliance.
The worrying aspect to all this is you continue to read my posts when clearly you are a cut above my level in the genius stakes.

I tend to salivate over things well out of reach such as Eva Longoria but only when the Technical life becomes a chore.

Off I go to Google images in need of an escape.....

Technical Coach said:
Kevinward777 said:
Technical Coach said:
Kevinward777 said:
Technical Coach said:

The worrying aspect to all this is you continue to read my posts when clearly you are a cut above my level in the genius stakes.

I tend to salivate over things well out of reach such as Eva Longoria but only when the Technical life becomes a chore.

Off I go to Google images in need of an escape.....

Well there's always C grade in one of the local comps.

If Mateo actually wants to play for the club, the fans, management and our demographic, I'd take him no matter the quality.

Technical Coach said:
Kevinward777 said:
Technical Coach said:
susan said:

You are certainly correct in the labelling Glenn a ball player, rather than a producer of second phase play. You are a also correct in your observation of Tom Symonds working some ball playing into his game (setting up tries against the Warriors across the ditch, and against Souths at the SCG with a couple of lovely balls at the line). However, I would categorise Buhrer's game as being more second phase than ball playing. Ferris likes the dig in behind the line and offload to support, or run a hole off Foz or DCE. I recall a couple of passes, but I think TRed is the heir apparent to Glenn, and Ferris should keep playing to his strengths as a hole runner and leave the ball playing to others.

Snake said:
Technical Coach said:
Kevinward777 said:
Technical Coach said:
susan said:

You are certainly correct in the labelling Glenn a ball player, rather than a producer of second phase play. You are a also correct in your observation of Tom Symonds working some ball playing into his game (setting up tries against the Warriors across the ditch, and against Souths at the SCG with a couple of lovely balls at the line). However, I would categorise Buhrer's game as being more second phase than ball playing. Ferris likes the dig in behind the line and offload to support, or run a hole off Foz or DCE. I recall a couple of passes, but I think TRed is the heir apparent to Glenn, and Ferris should keep playing to his strengths as a hole runner and leave the ball playing to others.
I agree Buhrer has been more second phase but he does occasionally ball play as well, I was basically saying between both they will try and fill the void of G.Stewart.

Ferris can ballplay and will do more in the future as he slows down or when other options are injured.

Most of what Symonds is doing is conservative second man plays so more variation is required at the line to be considered a dangerous ballplayer on the edge.

I still say Brett Stewart at 5/8, with the ball in his hands much more, would do us wonders. He could play like Carney (without the urinating in mouth). Play Gutherson at fullback. Cheyse Blair on the wing. Taufua in the forwards, off the bench (impact player). Release Watmough. Release Foran. Use Foran / Choc's money to buy a beastly forward. Starling to reggies. Play Hodges in reggies (but ask him to bulk right up), he's training to be our starter. Play Trbojevic. Sign Fa'aoso if possible.

01. Clinton Gutherson
02. Cheyse Blair
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon
05. Peta Hiku
06. Brett Stewart
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. MARQEE SIGNING
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brenton Lawrence
11. Justin Horo
12. Tom Symonds
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Ritchie Fa'aoso / Jorge Taufua
15. Jese Sene-Lefao
16. Dunamis Lui
17. Jake Trobojevic

Then, if Matai still continues to seek a release, let him do so (leave), and sign Hopoate from Parramatta, who is off contract at the end of next season. I'd also be looking at bringing Lussick back, and have a local junior riddled team (Tom Trbojevic should be ready in two years).

Technical Coach said:
Snake said:
Technical Coach said:
Kevinward777 said:
Technical Coach said:

I agree Buhrer has been more second phase but he does occasionally ball play as well, I was basically saying between both they will try and fill the void of G.Stewart.

Ferris can ballplay and will do more in the future as he slows down or when other options are injured.

Most of what Symonds is doing is conservative second man plays so more variation is required at the line to be considered a dangerous ballplayer on the edge.

Yeah I totally agree with you there. I think he needs to play with more instinct. I know he has the talent, but as is the case with most young players, the creativity gets coached out of them, and they fall into the structures. If we call a play on the left, and Symonds sees something, he needs to play it, rather than dish off to the second man simply because that play was called. It's what Glenn has been so good at for many years. In saying that, Tom is relatively inexperienced, and no expects him to be Glenn Stewart just yet, if ever.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4