1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mateo and Burgess Released

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by clontaago, Jul 26, 2016.

1. clontaago

clontaago Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles have today released prop Luke Burgess and utility Feleti Mateo from the final three months of their contracts with the Club.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

Burleigh Heads
    Ratings:
    +393 / 48
    I'm not sure how this works? Does this free up salary cap for us, both were in the top 25?

3. Nice Beaver

Nice Beaver Active Member

Ratings:
    +582 / 17
  4. Narrabeen Laker

Narrabeen Laker Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 2
    No cap relief and contracts to be paid out in full

5. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,780 / 58
  6. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    • Like Like x 2
  7. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,780 / 58
    Ahh. Thank you. :)

Like tiers on a wedding cake, these are the players of our lives.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Clever Clever x 1
  8. Bearfax

Bearfax Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,654 / 75
    Knight and Hopoate?

9. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

Burleigh Heads
    Ratings:
    +393 / 48
    I would like the 2 players to be Brad Parker and Liam Knight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +968 / 40
    Hopefully knight.
    Doubt Hoppa has NRL clearence.
    Maybe Parker? Especially now it seems wright is injured aswell

11. HappilyManly

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Parker and Knight more likely as they have already been elevated to 'acting' 1st Tier when they played.

Then again, who knows how the NRL decides the Top 25 headcount :wondering:

12. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Your top 25 for 1st tier Salary Cap purposes are your top 25 highest paid players - regardless of whether they actually play NRL or not.

13. HappilyManly

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    Do you know what the story is behind a Team being able to bring up a player?

It happens each season, at a handful of Clubs and I can not find an official explanation of it anywhere :confused:

14. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    HM - have a read here.

https://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

I guess you can get special dispensation if you have a lot of injuries to your top 25 and you start to exceed your second tier cap. They won't make a team play short because of salary cap squeeze. However as soon as a top 25 player is fit then they would have to replace the 2nd tier guy regardless of form.

I'm not 100% sure how the chopping of top 25 players mid season works. But I would hazard a guess to suggest that whatever portion of their salary has been paid up until the date they are released gets counted in 1st tier salary cap calcs. Once they are released then the next highest paid player can fill their spot. It gets complicated if the club is still paying their contract even if they aren't here, which happens for released players - how that works I have no idea - because if you don't get salary cap relief by releasing them then what is the point ?? case in point Mateo and Burgess - if we had to pay out their contracts for this year and that counts fully against the cap then what is the upside to releasing them ? maybe we save a bit on strapping tape costs.

15. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    Go for it @globaleagle
    News from me will be a bit later in the day for me during the week from now on as my 3 weeks sick leave after having a couple of operations on my hand is now over and I am back at work so any news that I may be able to post will be after 4pm (Monday to Friday). If anybody can post news sooner than that then go for it but just remember to only post the heading, author and first paragraph (or 10%) of the article and then link the rest of the article to the originator news source.

• Like Like x 2
  16. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 103
    Potato was one of the great disappointments. He has so much raw talent, and did play a handful of good matches for us, but never fulfilled our hopes.
    Luke Burgess was recruited to temp the Burgess boys from the burrow but that didn't work. Unfortunately he was quite as good as his younger brothers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 47
    This is great and very promising that we will see Knight back in the top grade very soon. This move would only be for the purpose for promoting Knight and i would say Parker.

18. Bearfax

Bearfax Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,654 / 75
    I'd go for Hopoate with Knight, given Hoppa showed significant promise last year before his imprisonment, and has been apparently a standout, and along with Knight, the only bright spots in a disappointing reserve grade side.

19. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,701 / 257
    Personally I'd like to wish them both all the very best with their move to the ESL.

They wore the Maroon & White, not perhaps to the high standards set by Silvertails members but nevertheless they are a part of our great history.

Farewell and safe travels boys.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 72
    Maybe it enables Meehan to be on our books??