Match review written by the Manly Coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mals

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I would like to see a match review written by our coach or assistant coaches that would be available to Manly members/supporters a few days after each match. In my opinion this would be a good initiative especially during these tough times when a lot of us question some of Toovey's player selections, defensive structures, game management etc. I think this would also help to put out some understanding of what the team is working towards and also some positive press for Tooves and his coaching team.

The Waratahs do this in Super Rugby, they send an email to their members. Here is an example:-
The key to our success on the weekend was our attitude. I thought we had a really good intention in terms of defense and while our performance lacked polish around particular areas such as our lineout and tackling accuracy, the attitude was very good.
I think the selection changes added to our performance, we were strategic in our replacements and I thought that added better impact off the bench. We got impact from everyone and it was really a full 23 man effort.
Obviously defense was a big correction. I felt the Stormers the week before got some easy yards on us and broke our line quite easily. So we talked about our spacing and one on one tackling, that was a big area. But then also we talked about our attacking intent and making sure that we keep the ball, keep having a go and I thought overall we did that very well.
Some positive things we took away from the match were that we scored from positions we don't usually score from, from sources of position. We scored two good tries from turnover attack and then one from a kick - those are areas which we normally don't score from. We had to find a way because our lineout at times was a little shaky.
We've talked a lot about our lineout attack and that we want to get that back on track, getting cleaner ball from our lineout to launch an attack. We've also talked about our spacing around defense at times. We're getting a little bit compact and too congested and that is causing those tackle breaks that you are seeing at the moment.
Overall, it was an excellent performance as the Hurricanes were previously unbeaten. It was obviously a difficult place to win and I think it's a good solid performance, I'll give it an 8.
Daryl Gibson,
Assistant Coach

We lacked heart, defensively we were terrible and looked lost in attack. I don't know why I selected Williame or Cheyse Blair but if I keep choosing them then eventually I might be able to give a reason why. A soft jelly bellied performance, I'll give it a 2.
Geoff Toovey,
Head Coach.

We lacked heart, defensively we were terrible and looked lost in attack. I don't know why I selected Williame or Cheyse Blair but if I keep choosing them then eventually I might be able to give a reason why. A soft jelly bellied performance, I'll give it a 2.
Geoff Toovey,
Head Coach.

Thanks for that Geoff.

By the way, Technical Coach called and wants you to answer his emails. He says he feels unloved.

Geoff Toovey,
Head Coach.
Hahahaha so good, I was cracking up at my desk imagining Toovey reading that in his gravelly voice

We shouldn't make fun of this, it's actually a good idea!!

More communication with fans / members, sounds good to me

Every Thursday 2v has a piece in the Manly Daily
  • 16 Apr 2015
  • Manly Daily
  • Geoff Toovey
BOZO’S EXCELLENT EYE WILL BE INVALUABLE
WORKING closely with Bob Fulton is going to be great.

Jamie Lyon (left) is a big inclusion for Manly this round.

“Bozo” and I go back a long way – he coached me to a premiership in 1996 and handed me my first grade debut against Cronulla way back in 1988.

Most importantly, he understands what it takes to win.

Fulton’s coaching record at all levels speaks for itself and he has an excellent eye for detail.

I think he will play an integral role in recruiting the right players as we build towards a positive future.

So when the club asked me if I was happy to work alongside him in his new strategic football consultant role, the answer was always going to be yes.

I am very confident it will be an instant fruitful partnership.

LYON ROARS BACK

THE return of Jamie Lyon could not have come at a better time for us.

His experience is invaluable, and seeing him run out tomorrow at Homebush’s ANZ Stadium will give our boys a massive lift.

Everything he does is classy. Be it spotting a gap before his opposite can recover, or a last-ditch tackle, he is a fantastic player, and will go down in history as a Sea Eagles great.

“Killer” isn’t the type of bloke to rant and rave, he speaks through his actions.

Canterbury will no doubt do everything they can to limit his involvement across the 80 minutes.

DESPERATE DOGS

DES Hasler’s Bulldogs will be equally desperate to win.

Injuries have hit us hard, and they have a few key blokes suspended.

They won a tight one at Brookie back in round three, so tomorrow night is our chance to make amends.

Geoff Toovey,
Head Coach.
Firstly, let me settle a few things right now:
  • I start with reading the proposed team lists on this forum and grade each one with 1, 2, or 3 smiley faces - if it's a real turd of a side I use an exploding angry face emoji
  • then I choose my team list starting with James Hasson and work my way from there
  • once the initial draft is completed I cross out half the names because they are all bloody injured
  • then I line-up the remaining hopefuls in my office and proceed to arm-wrestle each one - who-ever can get close to beating me (still undefeated mind you), will make the side - I've told the bearded one to work on his hammer curls and now he's in the side - nice
  • then the squad of 25 all make their way into my 70's style disco ball basement at my joint and we get the strobes out - I then get Grant Goldman to read out the team list and get the players to run out onto the dance floor as their name is called - somehow 'Beeeaaaavvveerr' makes the side every bloody week
  • the team then all hold hands and do the Mowtown Shuffle, we then throw our keys in a bowl....and well.... the older ones on this forum know the rest.
I hope that clears things up.

Geoff.

Geoff Toovey,
Head Coach.
Geoff has asked if you are free to attend training tomorrow at narrabeen as he would like you to run the team tomorrow and see if you can put a bit of spine in their performances.

He said that perhaps you can bring down a life sized dummy of Adam Blair in storm colours so that they boys can refine their tackling techniques

Firstly, let me settle a few things right now:
  • I start with reading the proposed team lists on this forum and grade each one with 1, 2, or 3 smiley faces - if it's a real turd of a side I use an exploding angry face emoji
  • then I choose my team list starting with James Hasson and work my way from there
  • once the initial draft is completed I cross out half the names because they are all bloody injured
  • then I line-up the remaining hopefuls in my office and proceed to arm-wrestle each one - who-ever can get close to beating me (still undefeated mind you), will make the side - I've told the bearded one to work on his hammer curls and now he's in the side - nice
  • then the squad of 25 all make their way into my 70's style disco ball basement at my joint and we get the strobes out - I then get Grant Goldman to read out the team list and get the players to run out onto the dance floor as their name is called - somehow 'Beeeaaaavvveerr' makes the side every bloody week
  • the team then all hold hands and do the Mowtown Shuffle, we then throw our keys in a bowl....and well.... the older ones on this forum know the rest.
I hope that clears things up.

Geoff.

One thing wrong, the girls chose the keys!!

Will the match review need to mention the goat photos, and who has them
And for the 15 th week running i give my vote for players player to goat photo pete

Every Thursday 2v has a piece in the Manly Daily
  • 16 Apr 2015
  • Manly Daily
  • Geoff Toovey
BOZO’S EXCELLENT EYE WILL BE INVALUABLE
WORKING closely with Bob Fulton is going to be great.

Jamie Lyon (left) is a big inclusion for Manly this round.

“Bozo” and I go back a long way – he coached me to a premiership in 1996 and handed me my first grade debut against Cronulla way back in 1988.

Most importantly, he understands what it takes to win.

Fulton’s coaching record at all levels speaks for itself and he has an excellent eye for detail.

I think he will play an integral role in recruiting the right players as we build towards a positive future.

So when the club asked me if I was happy to work alongside him in his new strategic football consultant role, the answer was always going to be yes.

I am very confident it will be an instant fruitful partnership.

LYON ROARS BACK

THE return of Jamie Lyon could not have come at a better time for us.

His experience is invaluable, and seeing him run out tomorrow at Homebush’s ANZ Stadium will give our boys a massive lift.

Everything he does is classy. Be it spotting a gap before his opposite can recover, or a last-ditch tackle, he is a fantastic player, and will go down in history as a Sea Eagles great.

“Killer” isn’t the type of bloke to rant and rave, he speaks through his actions.

Canterbury will no doubt do everything they can to limit his involvement across the 80 minutes.

DESPERATE DOGS

DES Hasler’s Bulldogs will be equally desperate to win.

Injuries have hit us hard, and they have a few key blokes suspended.

They won a tight one at Brookie back in round three, so tomorrow night is our chance to make amends.
Not quite the same as I was suggesting but better than nothing I guess...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6