1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matai's remote control tackling

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by ManlyBacker, Sep 21, 2011.

1. ManlyBacker

ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

Ratings:
    +971 / 7
    HE hasn't conceded a single penalty this season for a swinging arm in tackles - and now we can tell you how and why. Manly centre Steve Matai was a perennial offender when it came to misguided tackles. Not anymore.

Read the full article

2. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    Glad it only took 5 years to sort that out :)

3. WAMF

WAMF Well-Known Member

Perth
    Ratings:
    +408 / 0
    Better late than never SER8. 10 in an entire season for a player that was consistently good for conceding 3 per game, is a massive turn around. I'm sure it's not easy to change your tackling style after playing for so many seasons, so well done to Steve.
    Now Skivvy, get out there and bash Hodges.

4. Brookie4eva

Brookie4eva Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +175 / 1
    "Vision of Matai tackling is then shot via satellite into the club's nearby video room"

Really ... they choose to send it all the way into space and back instead of just beaming in a few hundred meters at most. :-/ :-/

5. WAMF

WAMF Well-Known Member

Perth
    Ratings:
    +408 / 0
    erm, every time you make or receive a call on your mobile phone, your conversation is sent via space.

6. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    I thought he was suspended this year for a swinging arm in a tackle on Jason Nightingale.

7. Brookie4eva

Brookie4eva Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +175 / 1
    But not via Satellite ..... I was taking the piss out of the reporter in my post, I'm sure they are actually just using Satellilte dishes, not Satellites.

8. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    Unfortunately even though Matai is no longer hitting above the shoulders, he is still being penalised anyway.

I've seen plenty this year were Matai has hit very hard and legally, only to have the referee say he was not back 10m or not square at marker.

They were doing the same to Gift before he snapped. You could hear the refs calling out his name after every Manly kick from their own half, telling each other to watch him in the tackles.