1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.


Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Stillman, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. Stillman

    Stillman Active Member

    +4 / 0
    Triple M's 5pm news had as there main news story that Matai has been charged with assault for the incident at the Mona Aale hotel facing court in September. We arent going to see a 'Latu' all over again and see the NRL rip up another contract are we? We are ****ed without him IMO
  2. Mike

    Mike Member

    +0 / 0
    I doubt the NRL will rip up Matai's contract, the club is more likely to do that than the NRL. The club to give him a substantial fine and a short suspension is the most likely outcome.

    Unfortunately he's facing two charges; assualt causing grievious bodily harm and common assualt.

    His biggest concern will be the court case next month.

    Manly's Matai charged over pub brawl
    Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 6:21 PM

    Manly rugby league player Steve Matai has been charged over an alleged assault at a Sydney pub.

    Matai, 22, is accused of headbutting a 31-year-old man at the Surf Rock Hotel at Collaroy, on Sydney's northern beaches, on June 10.

    Without naming Matai, NSW Police issued a statement saying a professional footballer had been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and common assault.

    The charges relate to an incident in which a Mona Vale man allegedly suffered a cut to his nose, facial bruising and swelling after being grabbed by the neck and assaulted about 11.50pm (AEST) that day.

    Matai was charged after attending Dee Why police station about 2.30pm.

    He was granted conditional police bail to appear in Manly Local Court on September 13.

    Manly chief executive Grant Mayer said last week the Sea Eagles had launched their own investigation into the alleged incident, and questioned why it had taken so long for the matter to be brought to the attention of police.

    "The players were not intoxicated and were on their way out of the hotel," Mr Mayer told The Manly Daily newspaper late last week.
  3. Jatz Crackers

    Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

    +1,239 / 7
    I have seen much forum commentary in the past about incidents like this that are exposed in the media, so before over the top reactions surface i would remind anyone to accept the high importance of the word "alleged' in this story. :cop:
  4. Canteen Worker

    Canteen Worker Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

    +212 / 5
    I wonder why something that happened in June takes nearly three months to surface!!! Latu was gone the week after!!!
  5. Utility Player

    Utility Player Well-Known Member

    +456 / 4
    The bloke he headbutted has just woken up :blaugh:
  6. Dan

    Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    +5,433 / 74
    Because the Northern beaches is a hole!
  7. ManlyBacker

    ManlyBacker Winging it Staff Member

    +971 / 7
    From nrl.com
    Video tipped to clear charged Matai

    Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 7:41 PM

    Manly is confident CCTV footage will clear centre Steve Matai of any wrongdoing after the New Zealand centre was charged with assault.

    Matai has been accused of headbutting a 31-year-old man at the Surf Rock Hotel at Collaroy on Sydney's northern beaches on June 10, the night after Manly's round 14 defeat of Wests Tigers.

    It's alleged Matai grabbed a 31-year-old Mona Vale man by the neck as he entered the pub and head-butted him, causing a cut to his nose, facial bruising and swelling.

    Matai was charged at Dee Why police station and was granted conditional police bail to appear in Manly Local Court on September 13.

    The 22-year-old will defend the matter and has the backing of the Sea Eagles, who viewed the hotel's CCTV footage as part of their investigation.

    "Steve's happy to defend himself against it all," manager Gavin Orr said.

    "We've looked at the video and he'll be fine.

    "We just want to defend it, get it over and done with and concentrate on playing footy.

    "We believe the person who made the complaint was not justified in making it.

    "Even the Manly club have seen that footage so we're pretty confident about it all."

    Solicitor Mitchell Cavanagh confirmed his client would defend the charge.

    "I can tell you that as a matter of certainty, a plea of not guilty will be entered as the matter will be defended," he said.

    The assault charge couldn't have come at a worse time for Matai, who is in career-best form and likely to be part of the Kiwis' Tri-Nations defence.

    He has been named to play in Friday's blockbuster against the Bulldogs.

    "The club stands behind Steve Matai having conducted its own investigation immediately after the alleged incident," Manly CEO Grant Mayer said in a statement.

    "The player and the club will not otherwise comment.

    "We feel it is inappropriate for these issues to be trialled in the media so long as the court proceeding is outstanding."

    NRL boss David Gallop said the Sea Eagles have kept him abreast of any developments regarding the case.

    "Manly have kept us advised of the situation and obviously now it's initially a matter for the courts," Gallop said.

    "Manly will keep us advised of any developments."
  8. Nutzcraw

    Nutzcraw Active Member

    +4 / 0
    Beat me too it MB :(

Share This Page