1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matai

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Matabele, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    Huge double page story on Matai in this week's Big LEague.

Gary Freeman thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread and a certainty for a Centre position with the kiwis.

A lot of talk about his brilliant, rattling defence. Reading it I was wondering if it was a gee-up, given how ambivalent most on this site are towards him.

I think he's adequate but would put him in the lowest quarter of centres in the NRL.

Thoughts?

2. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Freeman would think that, only because Matai is a niggle merchant just like Freeman was.

Matai has improved since last year IMO, but still has a way to go before you'd rate him in the top 25% of NRL centres.

As for playing centre for NZ, he probably hasn't got that much competition ahead of him. Toopi and Whatuira.

3. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Oh and Vagana if he's not playing 5/8.

4. PEPSI

PEPSI Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    yeah read that, never mentioned his running out of the line like a maniac and letting blokes run past him, read it twice in fact, there was definately no mention!

5. Volley

Volley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +581 / 21
    Matai is a bench player who can fill in at centre or the second row. Definate more impact that Williamson. Hits harder, runs harder. If we snag Lyon, I'd love to see Matai on the bench at the expense of Willow.

6. SilentBob

SilentBob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'd rather lose him than Burns to fit Lyon in. That sums it up I think.

7. PEPSI

PEPSI Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    may not have that choice, business decision i guess, Matai is on contract and Burnsy isnt, so if we have to lose one, guess which one it will be !

8. SilentBob

SilentBob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Contracts mean **** all these days, who knows what will happen.

9. weneedacement

weneedacement Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    He is the worst defensive centre in the game bar none, one on one.