1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matai

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by sean john, Nov 13, 2015.

1. sean john

sean john Haters gonna hate..

Ratings:
    +427 / 34
    whats peoples opinions on moving skivvy to lock.. I personally don't think it would be such a bad move as such.. As it will free up space in the backline for Trbojevic and walker if he signs. I know bozo was open to the idea in the early stages of matais career. I think he would handle the vigour of more defense work as we all know he hits like a rock, and let's face it he is slowing down a little. With Taupau in the eleven jesrey imo that is an imposing back row. Thoughts?

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. the mauler

the mauler Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,653 / 25
    No

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,843 / 103
    To lock? Why, so he can really get injured?

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. sean john

Ratings:
    +427 / 34
    Just a no because you don't like the idea or do u have reasonable grounds behind your decision?

5. sean john

Ratings:
    +427 / 34
    Not much faith in steves season ahead with injury then??

6. Snake

Snake Doing The Eagle Rock!

Ratings:
    +2,535 / 135
    The modern lock is a front rower so it's a no from me. He'd be standing in the middle of the field with players twice his size running at him for 80 minutes. Yes he can put on a hit but physics tell me his body wouldn't enjoy this scenario.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    No. The beauty of Matai is that he hits as hard as a forward, but he is out wide.
    So no point in the opposition going there to avoid being smashed >:)

If Jorge could get his involvement level up a few notches, Manly's LHS would be a brick wall :nod:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ManlyArmy

ManlyArmy Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +939 / 23
    tumblr_m2gxq82QKi1rtk2d7o1_500.png

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Where did this idea come from ?? We have enough backrow options with Ferris, Mateo, T Red, Bleary, Kapow, Brown plus guys like Myles and Lussick that can play that middle forward role as a backrower. Not to mention the rookie options.

There is no upside to moving Stevie to lock and I can't imagine it would even be on Bozo or Baz's radar. It works for some players, but Stevie isn't one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. maxta

maxta Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Toowoomba, Queensland
    Ratings:
    +2,367 / 57
    In actual fact - Matai would be a super backrower in the games modern state, unfortunately he is such a hardened competitor he would be injured after 1 game...maybe with a few opposition forwards.
    Fact is, he is an underrated world class centre & the things we see with the big shots, scoots & power running are only part of his worth....its the intimidation factor out wide scaring opposition into error & doubt when shifting his way that go's unnoticed.....
    Leave him at centre - with Lyon still the best pairing in the game & will show this with more time & space in 2016.

11. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

NSW
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 47
    We have more than enough back rowers

12. Moops

Moops Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +394 / 26
    No...

13. God

God Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +411 / 10
    Normally I just let people make their own mistakes then sit in judgement and punish them for it when they die, but Matai to lock is just stupid and I'm going to have to veto the idea right here.

Also while I've got you please stop praying to win the lotto and for female companionship.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Dummy Spit Dummy Spit x 1
  14. Brisbane Eagle

Brisbane Eagle New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    Steve is one of my favourite players ever . IMO he can do anything so he could be a success at lock . However I agree with the others he may get injured .

15. qldeagle

qldeagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +980 / 48
    And it's a no from me.

16. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    Ratings:
    +5,361 / 111
  17. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,741 / 125
    5-10 years ago maybe, but not now. His body wouldn't be up to all the work. He rarely gets through a game uninjured just playing in the centres.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mango

Mango Active Member

Fairlight
    Ratings:
    +150 / 14
    A good way of sending him into early retirement, I guess!
    Not sure if workcover would be to happy with your suggestion!!

19. Killer03

Killer03 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,701 / 27
    One of Skivvis greatest asset is the ability to pull off those ball buster hits from the centres (like the one he did against the souths player). Having to only make 5-10 tackles a game he has the ability to do that. Suddenly he makes 30+ tackles a game and I think you nullify that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. wombatgc

wombatgc Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +2,495 / 42

.....that'd be a NO.