Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
SEA Eagles stalwart Steve Matai wants to take on a lead role in the rebuilding of the club where he has played for the past 11 years.

After he recently signed a new contract, arguably the NRL’s most fearsome centre opened up about where he saw the club’s future.

And while Manly has been hit by a tsunami of drama, Matai says the Sea Eagles have the solid foundations to weather the storm.

“We still have our senior players – Killer (Jamie Lyon), Brett (Stewart), Matt Ballin and myself here for another few years,” he said.

“If we can get the young boys to buy into the culture, we will be OK. We have a lot of Polynesian players here now and I want to be that player they look up to and they look to try and emulate.”

Matai said when he joined the Sea Eagles as a 20-year-old in 2005 it was senior players Kylie Leuluai and John Hopoate who were a big help to him. “It was an easy transition for me so I try to take that and apply it to the new guys coming through,” he said.

He was referring to young talent like Ligi Sao, Michael Chee Kam and Dumanis Lui.

And while it is tough times at the Sea Eagles after four straight losses, Matai has seen the club fight through similar situations before.

“In 2009, after winning the premiership in ’08, I think we lost the first five rounds,” he said.

“I have been there before and I know what it takes to turn it around – we all just need to focus and have trust in each other and have faith in our defensive structures and attacking structures.

“We just need to get some momentum going forward in the next few weeks and hopefully we can do that and carry it on through the second half of the year.”

Matai hurt his neck in last Saturday’s defeat against Penrith but expects to take on the Bulldogs on Friday night at ANZ Stadium.

More of these articles please!

This is exactly what we need to hear from our senior playing group. Ballin has shown how much he loves the place and wants to be there, and now Skivvi is saying this!!

Great stuff.
Exactly the right article to get me pumped for tomorrow night.
C'mon boys, smash those bulldogs.

Not a huge fan of Matai in the earlier days.
But have been totally stoked with his performance over the last few years.

He has now well & truly surpassed that with his attitude. One of the core (probably with Lyon & Ballin) of whom I have no doubt put in 100% total effort. Hopefully this shames some of the others to ditch their dummies & take up arms!!!:punch:

The real Manly to re-emerge against the dogs!!!

Dear Stevie
I know it's not February 14th and I am not a 14 year old high-schooler so I shouldn't be thinking like this but..... will you be my valentine?
:h:Nicci
Alright, ignore that pathetic-ness. Matai smashes the opposition to pieces, is a Manly legend and I love him.

Similar story in the Australian too. That one was from the Daily.

Good to hear the senior guys are focused.

Steve has been my favourite player since he came into first grade. I even watched him come up through premier league.

Love reading an article like this in a time of need.

I just love him

(as an aside this video never ever gets old - god i love that hit on Smith in 2008)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2