1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matai

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by The Wheel, Oct 22, 2010.

1. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,769 / 72
    Small snippet in todays Manly Daily that Matai  has re signed now that Bailey has gone and freed funds under the cap  :D

No mention of Foran however  :(

2. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
  3. Jooe

Jooe Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some people wll be delighted

Cheers

4. Moondog

Moondog Grey-beard loon Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Hervey Bay
    Ratings:
    +3,557 / 32
    Did they say how long he signed for?

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    You can count me as one of those people. Yes, he has some discipline issues, but he has mongrel and that intimidation factor that has the opposition looking up every time they catch the ball.

6. Jooe

Jooe Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can count me as one of those people. Yes, he has some discipline issues, but he has mongrel and that intimidation factor that has the opposition looking up every time they catch the ball.
    [/quote] John Hopoate had that intimidation as did Les Boyd but then they become liabilities and these days with salary caps we can't afford to have a player with such tendencies. People tend to equate intimidation with cheap shots I equate it with Igor and Tooves they were tough and intimidating but never cheap shot merchants

Cheers

7. The Wheel

The Wheel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,769 / 72
    Did they say how long he signed for?
    [/quote]

No, but the deal has been done for a while but couldn't be signed off as it could not fit under the cap - from memory 3 years was atalked about some months ago

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does Mattai's contract start from round 5 next year when he is able to actually play again?

And hopefully it has penalty clauses to deduct amounts off his salary every time he is suspended.

9. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    [/quote]
    Looking up to see what direction the swinging arm is coming fron ;)

10. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    anyone really know when his suspension ends ?
    from memory he got 7 weeks, missed the semi v goons then there are 3 official trials so that would  make it back in rd4 is that right ?

11. Brookie

Brookie Well-Known Member

Swinger Hill
    Ratings:
    +216 / 4
    he was in the NZ squad wasn't he and would be one of the first centres picked, do these games he would have played count towards his suspension?

12. Berkeley_Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    lets hope that counts too

13. Jooe

Jooe Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can only count 2 trials and the four nations does not count as he was not eligble to be selected because he was suspended. They tightned that loophole,remember the queenslanders picking tba so the suspended player missed the broncos game. If I remember it was Lote.

Cheers

14. stoodamire

stoodamire Active Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    Tonie Carroll i think it was

15. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    We are entitled to put in a submission for some dispensation in regards to the likelihood he would have been selected for the Kiwis

Whether we have done that or not yet I don't know

16. Mickyjuice

Mickyjuice Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It was Folau.

17. Mybludog

Mybludog Active Member

Ratings:
    +57 / 0
    Pretty sure he can only claim 1 trial game irrespective of how many we play

18. Jooe

Jooe Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is no chance they will count NZ games because he would of been picked,can you imagine the loophole that would create. Next year in SOO time the broncos could use the same excuse regarding lockyer or the storm with smith as they are as much certainities for qld as matai is for nz http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/breaking-news-sport/manlys-matai-cops-sevenweek-suspension-20100907-14yuh.html a link regarding his suspension. As for TBA it was Lote tba was named on the wing and he served his ban for the broncos.

Cheers

19. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,246 / 7
    [/quote] John Hopoate had that intimidation as did Les Boyd but then they become liabilities and these days with salary caps we can't afford to have a player with such tendencies. People tend to equate intimidation with cheap shots I equate it with Igor and Tooves they were tough and intimidating but never cheap shot merchants

Cheers
    [/quote]

Are you implying Matai is a cheap shot merchant ?

20. Jooe

Jooe Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Cheers
    [/quote]

Are you implying Matai is a cheap shot merchant ?
    [/quote] I'm not impling it I'm shouting it,I know people on this forum love him for his tough play,but I don't see it that way tough players to me are and were Toovey, Igor, I would also say Menzies. The truth is we have invested 3 year deal in a player that if he steps out of line again then we will be missing him for the best part of a season.

Cheers