Matai will be cautious

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/matai-will-be-cautious-56584

11/09/2008 6:22 PM
Adam Lucius
Sportal

[img=200x125]http://i33.tinypic.com/992few.jpg[/img]

Fiery Manly centre Steve Matai says he risks being made to look 'stupid' if he races out of the line to put one of his trademark hits on St George Illawarra opposite Mark Gasnier in Saturday night's third qualifying final at Brookvale Oval.

The Kiwi international will adopt a more cautious approach against the man considered one of the game's great centres for fear he could leave his team exposed.

"He's got great footwork and a great fend so if we rush up on him he's definitely going to put one on me and I'll look stupid," Matai explained.

"I don't think it's picking a player, it's just picking the right time to do it."

"If you think it's on, it's on but if not then you're going to look stupid."

Asked the best way to combat Gasnier, Matai replied: "I think I've just got to get up in his face and just cut his thinking time down, so hopefully I can do that this weekend."

Matai and Gasnier have history, with the New Zealander knocking out the Australian star during last October's Trans-Tasman Test.

The rugged Manly back was sent off and later suspended for two games.

But he is not offering to tone down his aggressive approach for what shapes as the finals match of week one.

"We're going to do anything that will help us win the game and I'm sure they'll do the same," Matai said.

Gasnier, prop Jason Ryles and coach Nathan Brown will end their long association with the Dragons if beaten on Saturday night.

"The emotion of that could play a part," Manly coach Des Hasler said.

"They will want to win for those guys to ensure they get at least another week and that just something extra we will have to deal with."

Watch him look to put a huge hit on in the first 10 minutes on Gaz.

This reaks of Des' mind games

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6