Matai wants brother at Warriors game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
Matai wants brother at Warriors game
Date
June 3, 2013 - 4:38PM

Manly tough guy Steve Matai's voice starts to crack when he talks about the inspiration behind his NRL career.

The older brother with a mental disability, who can't speak and needs 24-hour attention but fills the hard-hitting New Zealand international with the passion to become one of the most feared players in the NRL.

Maika Matai, who lives with mother Faaiu and father Aloese in Auckland, has never seen his younger brother play an NRL game - a scenario Steve wants to change this weekend.

Maika's condition makes it difficult for his parents to cross the Tasman and watch Steve wreaking havoc for the Sea Eagles.

But Manly travel to Auckland to face the Warriors this Sunday, providing Matai with a trip home and a golden opportunity to see his family.

More than anything, however, Matai wants to be able to find a way to get Maika to Mt Smart Stadium.

"He hasn't been (able to get to a game in) the last nine years," Matai said on Monday.

"It's kind of hard for him to get around.

"We've been trying to look at ways to get him to the game.

"I'm hoping that maybe we can get him to the game this week, or maybe at the end of the year. Or maybe next year.

"...(The Warriors clash) does mean more, because my family will be there and I don't get to play in front of them too often.

"They don't get to do that every week.

"It's a real special moment for me when I get to do that."

Matai has no hesitation nominating Maika as his inspiration to take the field each week, and says it would mean the world if he could make it to the game.

"Just to have him there would be enormous for me," Matai said.

"If I had the strength that he has, that he shows every day just to live ... it's enormous.

"...He is (an inspiration). It's been very tough for us, me and my family.
"We've had a big family so there's always someone around to help out and help look after him."

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/breaking-news-sport/matai-wants-brother-at-warriors-game-20130603-2nls9.html

I hope his brother & family make it to this game, Matai sounds pumped for this one, look out Warriors!

"watch Steve wreaking havoc for the Sea Eagles."

Yes his brother needs to see this first hand, hope it happens for all their sakes. I heard him interviewed on Talkin Bulldogs last week and there was quite a number of callers who phoned in to say they were not Manly fans but they admired Matai. As do we.

Maika would enjoy the emotionality of the MWTS Sunday hangi as well :idea:

Skivi is a complex personality, with the responsibility of 'playing for two', it would explain those awesome hits :angel::angel:

I love Matai x2 :heart:

Matai, together with Choc and the two Stewart boys, oops I mean guys, are Manly through and through. They may not be all juniors but they are the heart and soul of the place. All one club Sea Eagle legends. May Foz and DCE follow in their footsteps.

love articles like this, shows everybody has a story other than the tough guys they portray on the footy field.

respect Matai

bones said:
Matai, together with Choc and the two Stewart boys, oops I mean guys, are Manly through and through. They may not be all juniors but they are the heart and soul of the place. All one club Sea Eagle legends. May Foz and DCE follow in their footsteps.

Here ,here but gotta throw Kingy and Ballin in there as well. Matt Ballin has been a rock for us since 2008. 40 - 50 tackles every game every week. Enormously underrated player. Unfortunate that King's last couple of years have been injury plagued otherwise injury free he would have provided so much more go forward for us. I would imagine Lyon and Kite would have wanted to start and finish their careers at Manly as well.

if it all comes together than more than likely the footy show will do something on it. it may be the first time in years i watch the show!

Hope you have a big game for your brother Stevie. The media paints this guy as a thug which is such an unfair judgement. Great player. Great bloke. The opposition is just too soft for him. Love the Matai.

I remember watching him debut for Manly, I was watching on TV at the Boatrowers Hotel, Stockton. Can't remember anything about the game - who it was against or if we won - but I remember thinking he showed great promise. Raw, but a goer.

I have similar feelings lately when watching Hiku, though of course they are different styles of player.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I remember watching him debut for Manly, I was watching on TV at the Boatrowers Hotel, Stockton. Can't remember anything about the game - who it was against or if we won - but I remember thinking he showed great promise. Raw, but a goer.

I have similar feelings lately when watching Hiku, though of course they are different styles of player.

It was 2005, (pretty sure it was round 2) against the Storm at Brookie. We won, though I can't remember the score. I remember Daniel Heckenberg scored the first try though lol.
I remember thinking that day how similar Steve looked to the Newcastle player George Carmont. So glad he didn't turn out as **** as him though.

Well, the MWTS group are going over, maybe they should take him along!

globaleagle said:
Gee sorry guys, didn't mean to scare y'all!

Maika would present no problems in the Corporate area - queue Penns - as I am sure that Disabled People have attended at Mt Smart before.
(The articles from 2011 and this one do not say if he is bedridden or wheelchair bound.)

Matai himself would be challenged in the MWTS area, as we will have slaughtered, cooked and devoured a mammal pre game :p

Hope that the Maori Kiddies will have some quality time with their Families, as they are flying out Friday.:angel:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6