MATAI to retire.......

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
manly GF 2008 026.jpg

Right ON Skiv!

2008 spent half an hour with my family and his chilling and chatting after the GF. His family were so proud of him, and HE was so humble. If those of you who have never met him would like to think he is an awesome, quietly spoken family man who shuns the attention....YOU'RE BANG ON!!!

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...fter-229-nrl-appearances-20161027-gscrcw.html

Manly Sea Eagles centre Steve Matai set to retire after 229 NRL appearances

October 28 2016 - 10:57AM
Veteran Manly Sea Eagles centre Steve Matai is poised to retire, despite having another year to run on his contract.

Matai's management and the Sea Eagles have been negotiating a termination agreement and it's expected an official announcement is imminent.

Calling it a day: Steve Matai.
Calling it a day: Steve Matai. Photo: Getty Images
The former Kiwi international will finish an illustrious career as a one-club man, making all of his 229 NRL appearances for the Sea Eagles. On several occasions he knocked back lucrative offers to return to his native New Zealand to play with the Warriors, but remained devoted to the Silvertails during an 11-season first-grade career.

Matai was a constant danger in attack, scoring 91 tries and setting up countless others during his time on the northern beaches. However, the former Kiwi international is perhaps best known for his punishing defence, earning a reputation as one of the hardest-hitting centres in the game.

The 32 year old won two premierships with Manly and was a regular for the Kiwis in his pomp, playing the last of his 10 Tests in 2010.

Matai's manager, Gavin Orr, said he and the club were "working through" the details of Matai's likely departure from the Sea Eagles.

Advertisement
Another long-serving Manly centre, Jamie Lyon, has also retired. It's likely that at least one of the voids will be filled by a Panther in the long term.

It's understood the Sea Eagles have their sights set on two Penrith backs, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Dean Whare, as potential replacements. While Penrith would like to keep them both, it's likely one of them may shift from the foot of the mountains given the number of quality young three-quarters on their books.

Both players are themselves New Zealand internationals, with Whare notching 26 NRL games during his previous stint at Manly.

There is also speculation that another Sea Eagles stalwart, Brett Stewart, has played his last game for Manly. Like Matai, Stewart missed the back end of Manly's premiership campaign through injury, with youngster Tom Trbojevic capably filling his No.1 jersey.

The Sea Eagles go into their 2017 campaign without several other key players including Jamie Buhrer, Josh Starling, Tim Moltzen, Tom Symonds, Siosia Vave, Liam Knight, Nathan Green and Blake Leary.

Their offseason signings include Storm pivot Blake Green, unwanted Knight Akuila Uate and former Bulldogs and Warriors forward Shaun Lane.

Last edited:
Confirmation of sorts with Skivvy manager Gavin Orr confirming he is working through a termination package with Manly.

Gutted! And agree with every accolade previous posters have given. A legend on and off the field .......

But the BIGGIE ..... will Greenslime approve a medical retirement so his last year is removed from our salary cap?

He has to. He has backed his slimy back into a corner with Twatmough.

He let that douchebag get away with not counting against the cap for the Slime, now the pill is saying he will turn up to training to get his cash. So yeah.....

Massively massively underrated......but not by Sea Eagles fans. Absolute legend, and whilst I have never met him apparently a top guy. Which I must say does not surprise me.
Underrated by who? I've never met anyone who underrated him

I've found most non sea eagles fans will readily admit Jamie Lyon is one of the games great centres, very rarely do they say the same about skivvi. They will say he's tough (or even worse), but rarely a great centre.
Say wat they fkn want we manly supporters no how great he was... He is a fkn superman without a cape ..

I think that was kind of my point.
No i know what you mean mate.. Just saying for all the non manly supporters most of them wldnt like or acknowledge skivi for the champion he is but thats only bcos he has been belting the **** out of all comers & he plays for us... But i get your point mate

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4