Matai "shoulder charge"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brookie Brawler

Reserve Grader
Can anyone please:

a) post the rule that defines a shoulder charge, and

b) explain what the MRC consider when laying charges (besides whether he plays for Manly and if his name is Matai).

I was under the impression that you needed to have the arm tucked by the side and any such "shoulder charge" is penalised, but only charged if there was contact with the head.

I remember SBW getting off a shoulder charge because he successfully argued that his arm wasn't tucked (which btw woul be almost physically impossible for him).

IF Matai's hit is somehow a "shoulder charge", should every shoulder charge result in at least a grade 1?

There is no way it was a shoulder charge. Skivvy just stood there and hit him with one of his specials. You could clearly see his arms going to wrap around in as he hit, but they weren't needed as we all saw.

It was just a good, clean hit from a master at his craft.

Jorge's hit was more of a shoulder charge than that. So was Moylan's hit on Snake AFTER he'd already passed the ball for Hasson's try.

Brookie Brawler said:
Can anyone please:

a) post the rule that defines a shoulder charge, and

b) explain what the MRC consider when laying charges (besides whether he plays for Manly and if his name is Matai).

I was under the impression that you needed to have the arm tucked by the side and any such "shoulder charge" is penalised, but only charged if there was contact with the head.

I remember SBW getting off a shoulder charge because he successfully argued that his arm wasn't tucked (which btw woul be almost physically impossible for him).

IF Matai's hit is somehow a "shoulder charge", should every shoulder charge result in at least a grade 1?

Clearly Matai had his arms around the Player - should be cleared just like Foz's spurious shoulder charge in the Warriors game was :cool:

attachment.php

HoldenV8 said:
Jorge's hit was more of a shoulder charge than that. So was Moylan's hit on Snake AFTER he'd already passed the ball for Hasson's try.

Good point. Has anyone checked Rothfield's column today to see if he has convicted either of those guys with some snapshots?

Lets all remember that the NRL is run by idiots. This has been proven over the last few years. Throw in the fact its Matai/Manly and you would imagine he will get 3 weeks. Obviously it was just a good solid hit, not a shoulder charge. Its not Matai's fault the kid is young and not used to quality hits. But this sport is run by morons who make reactive decisions based on emotion, personal bias and the uninformed opinions of journalists and the general public. Prove me wrong match review committee

Matai has to brace himself for the collision. The riff player is just as much at fault as he should have run around Stevie

seems the refs are throwing out 'on reports' against Manly players all over the place.

Finals time anyone?

If you get a chance go back and take a look at the hit on Stewart after giving the ball to hassem for the try. Their fullback pulled off a copybook late shoulder charge.

No surprise not a thing was said. Should make a good and post it on the nrl Facebook.

Matai's hit was just a solid hit. It was a legit hit im my books and the NRL should wake up to themselves and acknowledge NRL is a contact sport.

But you guys are forgeting the Matai and Manly tax, so he will get 10 weeks.

tookey said:
Matai has to brace himself for the collision. The riff player is just as much at fault as he should have run around Stevie

Indeed, no one of sound mind would seek contact with Matai's shoulders!! :D

Foxsports "expert" commentator nathan hindmarsh says matai will get a week or 2 for a shoulder charge. What a tool.

mickqld said:
Foxsports "expert" commentator nathan hindmarsh says matai will get a week or 2 for a shoulder charge. What a tool.

Then Jennings will get the same or more, his was worse.

I was a shoulder charge.

He tucked his arm into his side at point of impact. That's a shoulder charge.

What about Moylan's shoulder on Brett after he made the break for Hasson's try.

With Manly loading , 3 weeks, effectively taking him out for the all important last game and first two finals.

It's just how it swings , we can't expect anything better from the National Rabbitohs League

This could be the second time Matai gets suspended for effectively "tackling too hard" - when he flattened the burgess brother last year(?) it was clearly a good shot around the chest, yet he copped a suspension.

Yesterday's "shoulder charge" was clearly a chest-on tackle.

The common denominator is that he flattened them, which makes refs think there must have been an illegality.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6