Matai, news not good

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Article should be up here soon, his manager is flying over to Auckland this weekend to go through a 2 year contract with the Warriors

Not good news for us, we simply won't be able to compete with anything they can put on the table, they have some massive amounts of cash in the bank. Apparently Matai is the man they have targeted to fill Tate's shoes, Blair and White on their radar too. Tate was on 400K a season, Price was on plenty and they were already not spending their cap

Well now Price has stepped down they will have a bit more cash to spend

Based upon some of the departures - Perry, Matai, Trent etc we must have some cash to throw around as well.  I am thinking that would be $500K, add that to the cap increase.

It is a concern that we don't appear to be in the market for anyone of note at this stage.

Cant we give the Warriors Bailey or TRex instead of Matai.

Yep that was the rumour Ant

They never replaced Sonny Fai last season, made no big money off season signings while still shedding some players, and now Price, Tate and McKinnon are moving on

I don't think we could go much higher than 250-260k for Matai, Warriors will be able to go well into the 300s at a guess

Matai came to Manly as a surprise inclusion from Brisbane Norths. Would have been dirt cheap but had an upgrade or two due to playing for Kiwis etc. Unlikely though he is in our top tier. I could see why we couldn't compete. You would have to wonder about his long term prognosis though with constant neck and shoulder issues. We would miss his metres from dummy half though.

it just sucks having a player come through the ranks and being a one team player suddenly playing in another team and wearing different colours ,its not fair really ....

Please let the Cronk rumour be true...as much as id hate to see Matai losing in the warriors team...id love to see a good halfback in Maroon and White again...

Canteen Worker link said:
Matai came to Manly as a surprise inclusion from Brisbane Norths. Would have been dirt cheap but had an upgrade or two due to playing for Kiwis etc. Unlikely though he is in our top tier. I could see why we couldn't compete. You would have to wonder about his long term prognosis though with constant neck and shoulder issues. We would miss his metres from dummy half though.

Ipswich Jets mate

MANLY4LIFE link said:
it just sucks having a player come through the ranks and being a one team player suddenly playing in another team and wearing different colours ,its not fair really ....

I would guess parra fans feel the same about us

Bummer if we can't keep him. but nobody can say he didn't spill blood for the sea eagles. Some of his kamikaze hits on huge forwards are up there with the alltime great tackles. good luck to him.

Yes, Matai needs to go for the biggest bucks he can get.  He'll need them to pay for his ops later on.

who unlocked this. we have a news thread for this discussion

Absolutely love mattai, Just one of those players i love watching in Manly colours. His play is getting better and better each year and seems like he would be a great team bloke

2 things about this

firstly i wonder if player managers are thinking what most manly fans are , there must be some room in the cap so lets test the waters. maybe we dont as manty contracts get back loades so it may appear as though we do

secondly i still see foran as a better centre and believe he would benefit from some more grounding out wide if whare doesnt step up consistently and cherry and cronk could be the halves giving some plexability with the backline

With whare coming and hoppa, stewie and wolfy to return if cronk signed there would still be a great backline with lots of options as des seems to like it. He prefers his top 18 - 20 on the field regardless of what position they play

But would miss the might mattai personaly and not getting another signature and losing mattai would be puzzling

The warriors are signing a few for next year then, with Mateo, Matai, Inu and the guy from the cowboys....

I would have thought that Cronk will stay with the Storm.  Of the 'big four', Inglis would be the one to go.  They will off-load a lot of their lesser players and thus stay under the expanded cap.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7