Matai may not play for Manly again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Turbo

Bencher
By Tony Adams
July 2, 2016

CULT-HERO centre Steve Matai has almost certainly played his last game for Manly.

The big hitter has been a favourite with the Brookvale faithful for over a decade and was ruled out for the season with a persistent neck injury.

Matai, 31, has a year to run on his contract but RLW has learned that Manly officials want to cut him loose for 2017.

Sources close to the veteran centre have revealed that Matai is prepared to retire – if Manly pay him for his final season next year.

The Sea Eagles believe that Matai’s problems with injury – he has struggled with neck and shoulder problems for several seasons and bravely played on – have finally caught up with him.

Matai played only eight games this season before club officials decided his neck needs surgery.

The hard-hitting centre also has a long judiciary record and is known to be a player targeted by referees because of his extremely aggressive, take-no-prisoners defensive style.

With star centre Jamie Lyon also retiring at the end of the season, it’ll be very much the end of an era at Manly.

Sea Eagles recruit Dylan Walker, who’s been uncomfortable at five-eighth, will fill one centre spot, while Tom Trbojevic, a superstar in the making who has played mainly wing and fullback this season, is likely to take the other.

Matai has been a loyal one-club man with 230 games for Manly since making his debut in 2005, scoring 91 tries.

The Kiwi-born hardman is one of the most respected – and feared – centres in the NRL with his hard running and brutal defence, but his body has taken a pounding and he has struggled to recover.

Several English clubs are keen on his services but he’s established with his family on Sydney’s northern beaches and doesn’t want to make the big move to the northern hemisphere.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/matai-may-not-play-manly/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would rather Skivvi stay another year so we can wait until a good centre is off contract. But I wouldn't mind Brenko Lee, he is quick and big, him and Dylan in the centres would be a good combo and hopefully stay for 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
By Tony Adams
July 2, 2016

CULT-HERO centre Steve Matai has almost certainly played his last game for Manly.

The big hitter has been a favourite with the Brookvale faithful for over a decade and was ruled out for the season with a persistent neck injury.

Matai, 31, has a year to run on his contract but RLW has learned that Manly officials want to cut him loose for 2017.

Sources close to the veteran centre have revealed that Matai is prepared to retire – if Manly pay him for his final season next year.

The Sea Eagles believe that Matai’s problems with injury – he has struggled with neck and shoulder problems for several seasons and bravely played on – have finally caught up with him.

Matai played only eight games this season before club officials decided his neck needs surgery.

The hard-hitting centre also has a long judiciary record and is known to be a player targeted by referees because of his extremely aggressive, take-no-prisoners defensive style.

With star centre Jamie Lyon also retiring at the end of the season, it’ll be very much the end of an era at Manly.

Sea Eagles recruit Dylan Walker, who’s been uncomfortable at five-eighth, will fill one centre spot, while Tom Trbojevic, a superstar in the making who has played mainly wing and fullback this season, is likely to take the other.

Matai has been a loyal one-club man with 230 games for Manly since making his debut in 2005, scoring 91 tries.

The Kiwi-born hardman is one of the most respected – and feared – centres in the NRL with his hard running and brutal defence, but his body has taken a pounding and he has struggled to recover.

Several English clubs are keen on his services but he’s established with his family on Sydney’s northern beaches and doesn’t want to make the big move to the northern hemisphere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would rather Skivvi stay another year so we can wait until a good centre is off contract. But I wouldn't mind Brenko Lee, he is quick and big, him and Dylan in the centres would be a good combo and hopefully stay for 10 years.
Turbo can you please include the link when you post an article?

This is an old article. Some journo just copied and pasted it. We all read that a couple of weeks ago. I don't believe manly want to "cut him loose". They are prob concerned about his neck issues for not just next year but life after footy. I think he should retire as he has achieved it all and his neck is more important than another year of NRL.

Tony Adams from RLW is the Mole on twitter. I don't think it matters if it is a pre existing injury for Matai because he has only ever played for us so it would have to be a pre existing injury before he came to the club. That pre-existing injury thing is only there if he has moved to a new club like Watmough had done with Parra. I would think if it is a career ending neck injury the NRL would allow him to retire without it counting to our cap, they would have a duty of care to facilitate that.

This is an old article. Some journo just copied and pasted it. We all read that a couple of weeks ago. I don't believe manly want to "cut him loose". They are prob concerned about his neck issues for not just next year but life after footy. I think he should retire as he has achieved it all and his neck is more important than another year of NRL.
I think it's a rehash of his own work from a few weeks ago.

Thanks - keeps everyone outside of this site happy
I meant to mention to you after your request for the link that I added the link to the end of the article (in Turbo's originating post) yesterday afternoon but I got side-tracked and forgot.
icon_rolleyes.gif

:)

• 🤝
Reactions: lsz
Matai’s career hangs by a thread
By Tony Adams
August 27, 2016

A TINY titanium plate will determine whether tough Manly centre Steve Matai is able to play football again.

In the same week that the Sea Eagles are farewelling star centre Jamie Lyon in their last home game for 2016, RLW can reveal that his partner in crime is battling to save his career.

The 32-year-old Kiwi is among the most respected players in the NRL because of his no-nonsense style and ability to play through pain, but his career’s now hanging in the balance.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/joeys-little-brother-bound-belmore/

Would like these decisions to be made before the off-season starts we need the entire team to be on one page and ready to go in to '17 with no interruptions or player movements.

Matai’s career hangs by a thread
By Tony Adams
August 27, 2016

A TINY titanium plate will determine whether tough Manly centre Steve Matai is able to play football again.

In the same week that the Sea Eagles are farewelling star centre Jamie Lyon in their last home game for 2016, RLW can reveal that his partner in crime is battling to save his career.

The 32-year-old Kiwi is among the most respected players in the NRL because of his no-nonsense style and ability to play through pain, but his career’s now hanging in the balance.

Matai had surgery on a chronic neck injury two months ago and is praying a titanium plate inserted into his spinal cord will give his body the strength to play again.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/matai...21690274538880&adbpl=fb&adbpr=110919635615955

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7