Matai contract situation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Can somebody please clear this up for me, Larissa or Vidmar probably the best placed

Matai is constantly being reported as off contract. I can't understand how that can be correct, when we locked him away last year when the Warriors were chasing hard, and there was never a mention of him having a get out clause. Here is part of an article suggesting his deal was 3 years

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/steve-matai-set-to-stay-at-manly-until-2014/story-e6frexnr-1225903701049

"MANLY centre Steve Matai has sacrificed some big foreign cabbage to remain on the Northern Beaches for another three seasons.

Sports Confidential can reveal that Matai's representatives this week arrived at a verbal agreement with Sea Eagles officials that will keep the Kiwi firebrand tied to the club until 2014."

So why the hell is he in every article as being off contract ? Maybe 1 journo cocked up and all the rest are following

Maybe the club were considering shipping him to clear some cap room? But most likely the journos know ****ing nothing, and are making **** up.

Who knows, but Matai is Manly. I'd rather keep Matai who bleeds Maroon and White (the fact he's an elite centre helps obviously).

Yep when I watched Shaun Johnson rolling around on the ground last night after copping a stinger...it makes you realise just what Matai goes through on a regular basis.
I wouldn't swap our centre combination for any in the NRL.

It seems to be an issue at our club, every player seems to be able to renegotiate their contracts on a yearly basis now. It seems as though we no longer support a club that plays rugby league, instead we support a club that plays a constant game of NRL player manager. The results on the field seem to get lost in between the constant contract drama off it.

First Hopoate, Hasler and his team of sheep **** all over our premiership celebration, now these inept contract negotiations are ****ting all over our premiership defence.

mcatt said:
It seems to be an issue at our club, every player seems to be able to renegotiate their contracts on a yearly basis now. It seems as though we no longer support a club that plays rugby league, instead we support a club that plays a constant game of NRL player manager. The results on the field seem to get lost in between the constant contract drama off it.

First Hopoate, Hasler and his team of sheep s**t all over our premiership celebration, now these inept contract negotiations are ****ting all over our premiership defence.

I dont disagree. But there is a silver lining. Once the problematic contract clauses and other current dramas are dispensed with, this club will have learned a great deal about how to set us up for the next golden period.

Might sound like airy fairy positive talk but the board & CEO will see how this can be to our future advantage.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Can somebody please clear this up for me, Larissa or Vidmar probably the best placed

Matai is constantly being reported as off contract. I can't understand how that can be correct, when we locked him away last year when the Warriors were chasing hard, and there was never a mention of him having a get out clause. Here is part of an article suggesting his deal was 3 years

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/steve-matai-set-to-stay-at-manly-until-2014/story-e6frexnr-1225903701049

"MANLY centre Steve Matai has sacrificed some big foreign cabbage to remain on the Northern Beaches for another three seasons.

Sports Confidential can reveal that Matai's representatives this week arrived at a verbal agreement with Sea Eagles officials that will keep the Kiwi firebrand tied to the club until 2014."

So why the hell is he in every article as being off contract ? Maybe 1 journo cocked up and all the rest are following
Agree with you KE 100%. In view of that same article, I can't understand why there's all this contract talk about Matai either. Obviously something happened that we don't know about.

Losing him will be virtually as devastating as losing Foran. We've gotta keep Stevie!

I will be more upset if Matai leaves than Foran. Shoulders has been a big part of our club since '05 & gives his all for the maroon & white. My fear with Foran & DCE both staying is that too much of our salary cap will be tied up in 2 (albeit important) players.

Matai's contract expires at the end of 2014 as per last years agreement,
All the hype is a journo not doing his research and needed a story.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4