Matai asks for release ???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
what happened to the rule that its against the rules of the game to poach a player from another team while he is still under contract,oops hang on,I forgot the guy that made it an art form,is now running the game(Greenberg)sorry guys my bad,its still wrong though

Bearfax said:
Matai is a brilliant centre and has served Manly well for many years. But he is 29 and will be 30 next year.
For mine, it all depends on what Matai wants. If he is just sniffing around for an extended contract, then we play the game. If he definitely wants out, then show him the respect he deserves and let him go.

Stevie is 30 in 3 weeks, so thinking of his future is understandable and agree with these comments Bearfax.

The old system was changed and the new rule is that everyone can negotiate all year; plus Player can reneg till Round 13; but NRL only registers up to June 30th of current Season.

Musical chairs basically :cool:

Matai can't go anywhere because......I :heart: him.
He certainly doesn't look unhappy at Manly with his fellow legends.
Honour your contract with Manly Stevie but as others have mentioned, if he flies the Eagle nest to end his career, the warriors would be a fitting place for him.

Matai is my favourite centre of all time and a toss up as one of my favourite players of all time. Sadly, I think we may lose him at some point. If we do, I think Watmough would be more inclined to move elsewhere as well.

These guys are true legends and have restored the club as the league's finest since our dark merger days.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there was talk of Matai going to the warriors some years ago, during contract negotiation time.
Also, one reason for this story to be a headline at this time could be the great win on Friday that sent the Mighty Manly Sea Eagles to the top of the ladder.
Perfect time for a Manly-hating journo to spin some club disharmony.
Go Manly!
We love you Stevie!

bones said:
I'm so glad Manly have said no. He is contracted to Manly. How are the Warriors even allowed to make an offer to a contracted player?
If he wants to take their offer up he can go in 2016. If the warriors are offering 4 years now, then they can offer him 3 years at the end of next year.
I agree bones,the guy that made it an art form,is now running the game(Greenberg)how I dont know

HappilyManly said:
The old system was changed and the new rule is that everyone can negotiate all year; plus Player can reneg till Round 13; but NRL only registers up to June 30th of current Season.

Musical chairs basically :cool:

The old rule DID change, you are right. But they are not allowed to approach him for NEXT year as he is still under contract to Manly for next year. If he was off contract next year then no problem. If they approach him regarding 2016 then no problem. They are doing the same thing that the Bulldogs did with Hasler..... enticing him to break a contract, and it should not be allowed unless Manly gives Matai permission to look elsewhere.

Wont be happy if Matai leaves. But will put a smile on my face if we do a straight swap for Hurrell.

effnic said:
Wont be happy if Matai leaves. But will put a smile on my face if we do a straight swap for Hurrell.

No, no, no, no and no! Love the Skivvy, love the Matai. Nothing, and I mean nothing, will compensate me for Stevie leaving. He is the soul, he is the heart, he is the essence of the Manly I love. Aargh!

ManlyBacker said:
effnic said:

No, no, no, no and no! Love the Skivvy, love the Matai. Nothing, and I mean nothing, will compensate me for Stevie leaving. He is the soul, he is the heart, he is the essence of the Manly I love. Aargh!

100% agree. But 'if' he leaves 'IF'!!

Maybe Skivy's manager realises now that Manly won't pay overs and will let players go, no matter how much they mean to the club, if it's necessary.

Skivy's is at the top of his game at the moment and its the best time to negotiate a contract. Good luck to him but while I hope he stays, if the money is soooo much better, who could possibly begrudge him.?

We need to add more 200 first grade games players to Manly's list.

Matai is almost there. Also Killer, Ballin, Snake.
I can see Foz and Buhrer after that.
Who doesn't want life membership of our great football club??

Shame about Gifty.

Ramrod said:
We need to add more 200 first grade games players to Manly's list.

Matai is almost there. Also Killer, Ballin, Snake.
I can see Foz and Buhrer after that.
Who doesn't want life membership of our great football club??

Shame about Gifty.

Yep some lengthy injuries have cost Gift the chance of joining the 200 club & getting life membership :(

On Matai if he wants to go let him go. He has taken unders in the past to stay at Manly & a big final pay day can set him up for life after footy.

I love Matai, but if he wants to go the club shouldn't stand in his way. He has given great service to our club, and it sounds like he could get some pretty decent coin if he joins the Warriors. If it was any other club I wouldn't be too happy, but he deserves all the coin he can get as it will be his last contract.

If he is contracted he should be made honour it. All clubs need to take a stand on this.

Anyway is it not a breach for a club to approach a contracted player?

bob dylan said:
If he is contracted he should be made honour it. All clubs need to take a stand on this.

Anyway is it not a breach for a club to approach a contracted player?

Even if they are approaching that player about joining them 12 months before his contract is up?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2