Matai asks for release ???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
HappilyManly said:
The RU just granted it to one of their most popular player, 'The Honey Badger'. Japan offered a motza and his Family's medical challenges can now at least be helped by him financially :angel:

would they have allowed him to play for another team in the same competition?
to loose matai to a pommy team would be easier to take as we wouldnt see him play against us, at least until the world club challenge!

1 in 12 Kiwis live in Australia. So just move his family over here- out of compassion-
Steve would be one of the first players picked consistently over the 8 years.

eventually we will have to let him go, besides he isnt getting any younger, If warriors can afford that , id be seriously weighin that up too, he also has his family to think about , who happen to be there. If he decided to go he would have my blessing, will always be a Manly Legend. He has done so much for our team..
Personally I think its a no bainer

Matai is one of my all time Manly favourites and would wish him the best, Id rather he go warriors than anywhere else to be honest

G'day all,I've got no problem with players looking to get the best deal for themselves whether that involves changing clubs,changing codes whatever,but what I can't understand is how something like this can be playing out now.I thought there were rules about inducing players to break a contract.Even so if the governing body doesn't understand that this sort of thing is an issue that requires a dedicated transfer period then they are out of touch yet again.
cheers mike

Matai is a manly legend. I would hate to see him go but of all the teams I'm glad its the warriors.

I'm so glad Manly have said no. He is contracted to Manly. How are the Warriors even allowed to make an offer to a contracted player?
If he wants to take their offer up he can go in 2016. If the warriors are offering 4 years now, then they can offer him 3 years at the end of next year.

If he wants to go we should let him!
Do not want disgruntled people spoiling our positive culture.
I sense this story is BS anyway. If he really wanted out we would let him go and make the warriors pay!

SeaEagleRock8 said:
The honey badger wasn't under contract so his situation isn't analogous at all.
Western Force contract till end of 2015 - exactly Matai's tenure with Manly.

Its Matai asking, not the Warriors, so his wishes should carry weight. Matai has given his all to Manly, if he wants to go, I will support his wish to do so. :sleepy:

with the case of every player who has a manager trying to get the best deal....

then if they have a breakout deal they rush for an upgrade as all of a sudden they aren't happy with their $$$$$ they are getting...

etc

So regardless of the player, honour your contract. Your managers do enough 'leaking about union' to the press when it's contract signing time.

IN steve's case....ok then, straight swap with hurrell!

And merge this with the sticky we have for THESE NEWS ITEMS, namely rumoured and/or confirmed signings thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know the specifics of either contracts mentioned.

But if Skivy IS asking for a release to go home (for a lot more than we can offer) I would also reluctantly agree, or support that, too.

Especially if we can win the comp again this year!

He's irreplaceable, but Hiku (I believe) can step up and develop into a quality centre in a year or two.

• 👍
Reactions: mbe
sure...we'll release him from now...and after he pays back all those weeks he was suspended.

Red Pill said:
I sense this story is BS anyway. If he really wanted out we would let him go and make the warriors pay!

I don't think he is disgruntled in this case. He asks, manly say no, he stays and is happy to do so. He loves Manly but a huge offer comes so he simply asks the question. There is nothing sinister in this situation.

bones said:
Red Pill said:

I don't think he is disgruntled in this case. He asks, manly say no, he stays and is happy to do so. He loves Manly but a huge offer comes so he simply asks the question. There is nothing sinister in this situation.

I also said I think the story is BS! Makes no sense. Seriously if he had asked twice! to leave so he can take up a 2.6 mil contract and we said no! not once but twice! I am pretty sure he would be disgruntled.

RiverEagle said:
I don't know the specifics of either contracts mentioned.

But if Skivy IS asking for a release to go home (for a lot more than we can offer) I would also reluctantly agree, or support that, too.

Especially if we can win the comp again this year!

He's irreplaceable, but Hiku (I believe) can step up and develop into a quality centre in a year or two.

G'day all,No bigger fan of Matai than me and certainly wouldn't begrudge him a big payday elsewhere.But surely the issue here is the fact that the warriors are inducing him to break his current contract.Would he be asking for a release if there wasn,t a massive financial incentive to do so?The other thing I don't get with this type of scenario is how does it get to come about?There must be some kind of communication taking place behind the scenes by some parties and it would be interesting to know who contacts who first.
cheers mike

bones said:
Red Pill said:

I'm with Bones, he's not disgruntled. It's a case of the Warriors making him an offer which is exceptionally attractive as that's where his family are, as well as the big $. As Bones says, all he did was ask Manly the question and can't blame him for that.

I heard this morning the Warriors offer is $650K/yr for 4 years. As one of my favourite players, I too would hate to see him leave us but would perfectly understand if he did (only to the Warriors).

One of my all time favourite Manly players. If it's true he''s taken pay cuts previously to keep the team together then I don't begrudge him the opportunity to set himself up financially for the future.

Sunday footy show said manly has denied his release. Apparently they are trying to extend his contract.

I think warriors will try grab him after 2015 and I dont think we can compete. Hiku to centre gutherson to wing.

Its important to be always keeping an eye on the future. Matai is a brilliant centre and has served Manly well for many years. But he is 29 and will be 30 next year. The way he batters his body he probably only has about another 3-4 years left in him and he has to ensure that he has made his fortune before his playing days are over.

For mine, it al depends on what Matai wants. If he is just sniffing around for an extended contract, then we play the game. If he definitely wants out, then show him the respect he deserves and let him go.

Manly will suffer for a short while with his absence, but Hiku is developing well and has looked increasingly competent at centre. It also opens the door for Gutherson, who showed the other night that he is ready for the next step into first grade. And with Tom Terrific coming through either as a future full back or centre, it says to these young players that Manly has a process of getting their young brigade into the team. otherwise we risk losing them to other teams who will promise an immediate first grade spot and a heap of cash.

There is always a beginning and end surely to players in this game and we cant sit dreaming of having these stars at their best for more than a decade. There must be a time to let go and allow the transition to occur. And Manly have generally been pretty good at that over the years.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6