Matai asks for release ???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MANLY4LIFE

Bencher
Just read on Facebook that Matai,s asked for a release to join the warriors ........sad day if true ,one of my favorites .

I know not to believe crap put up on there and I hope it's just a beat up .....

Facebook is not the most reliable source of news out there on the www.... It is, however, a wonderful place on which to propogate nasty rumours which in turn generate traffic to certain "news" sites.... The nastier the rumour, the more "clicks" generated...

Click bait:

(Internet marketing, pejorative) Website content that is aimed at generating advertising revenue, especially at the expense of quality or accuracy, relying on sensationalist headlines to attract click-throughs; such headlines.

The above is the MOTIVE behind such rumours, with the source more than likely an offhand comment.... Such as a Warriors player laughing about how we "should throw a mountain of cash at Matai, we could use a centre like that lol"!!

Journos then build an article around such comments, citing sources "close to the club" and sensationalizing both the article and the headline in a sad attempt to draw views on their employer's pages and/or personal blogs.

Click bait. Simple.

they were talking on the radio about it,apparently he asked if there was much room to wiggle with the cap,but they also said he still has a great relationship with tooves and the boys,and they reckon he,ll stay,so read into that what you will

I must say his form has been a bit down last couple of weeks probably due to contract talks. If he goes then hiku to center and Guth ,Jorge wings. We MUST keep the young guns.

If it is true & he's after a release then it's probably in the best interests of Manly & Matai to let him go. He gets to go back to NZ & gets another big contract, Manly gets a little more breathing room in regards to the salary cap & a spot opens up in first grade for Gutherson.

I wouldn't be worried if we went into next year with Hiku or Taufua starting in the centers in Matai's place.

Watching matai on the field with the test of the team. I doubt very much that this is true.

He is more manly than the flag

I asked on another thread, which centre are NZ looking to move on, hurrell (doubt it very much) or neilsen (same age as Matai). Just seems strange that they would be offering Matai huge $$ when they already have 2 regular centres

James Hooper is reporting as being confirmed by Manly.

If so, I hope that Manly allow him to maximize his earnings.

Matai deserves to set his own terms and return to help his disabled brother :angel:

A third Premiership ring would be a fond memory for him of Brookie :)

HappilyManly said:

Matai deserves to set his own terms and return to help his disabled brother :angel:

Hooper is a cock who hates manly tho

strone33 said:
HappilyManly said:

Hooper is a ... who hates manly tho

Firstly, anyone who considers letting Matai go to save money is damn crazy. He is money!!!

Secondly, I find it hard to believe the warriors would throw millions at a guy who they can't be bothered to put in the national team.

All a big balls-up - sorry!!

strone33 said:
HappilyManly said:

Hooper is a ... who hates manly tho

In fairness, however, Hooper said today he thinks Matai will stay as Tooves is a firm believer in fulfilling contracts. He said he's merely reporting that Matai did ask for a release.

In other words, being asked for a release and granting one are two separate matters.

I hope this is just paper talk. I love Stevie and don't want him to go anywhere. He brings so much to our side. I don't think we have anyone ready to replace him, hiku isn't quite there yet nor is Morrissey by any stretch. I don't know about Horhay as a centre, I don't see it myself. Cheyse Blair ? Nup. Satini needs more time before I could call that.

Not that I want to see anyone go but surely King and wolf will free up some cash if that's what is needed. To be even more controversial I'd go so far as to say we could replace choc easier than we could matai.

If he wants to go then I'd have to concede the club let him because he has been a true warrior for us. But if he wants to stay we should be doing our darnedest to keep him

Apparently its the second time he has asked for one. Tough decision for the club. This is where the CEO/Coach/recruitment guys need to really need to have their plans going forward well and truly thought out. You have to weigh up everything, the cost of letting him go, ie will it cost us a premiership versus the cost of keeping him, ie does it stop us retaining or recruiting players who will help us win premierships?

Chip and Chase said:
I hope this is just paper talk. I love Stevie and don't want him to go anywhere. He brings so much to our side. I don't think we have anyone ready to replace him, hiku isn't quite there yet nor is Morrissey by any stretch. I don't know about Horhay as a centre, I don't see it myself. Cheyse Blair ? Nup. Satini needs more time before I could call that.

Not that I want to see anyone go but surely King and wolf will free up some cash if that's what is needed. To be even more controversial I'd go so far as to say we could replace choc easier than we could matai.

If he wants to go then I'd have to concede the club let him because he has been a true warrior for us. But if he wants to stay we should be doing our darnedest to keep him

Spot on, on all counts. This guy is a huge part of success, brings aggression to table, and has qualities that you simply cannot put a price on.

He's going nowhere. Dave Perry said he's "critical part of our playing roster and future plans".

Tooves knows how much Skivi brings to the team.

Furthermore, Skivi is the darling of all the Manly fans.

If this is the second request, then we should respect Matai's reasons and grant it. Blair was brought in as a centre.

The RU just granted it to one of their most popular player, 'The Honey Badger'. Japan offered a motza and his Family's medical challenges can now at least be helped by him financially :angel:

Skivi will remain a Manly Legend no matter where he finishes his career :heart:

IS this similar to when the Titans tried to pinch Lyon?
If Matai has a contract until end next year, honour that first and then go wherever is best for himself at that time. Being offered extra $ is not 'compassionate grounds'.
The honey badger wasn't under contract so his situation isn't analogous at all.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6