Mason, Mateo, Horo

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
3 much maligned players on the forum for the majority of the year. Haven't always understood why myself. What would you do with them now ? All depends on salary cap and what squad positions we have left I guess

Mason - I don't care how old he is, just how he performs, and I think he has been very good on the field and even better for the club off the field. On current form there is absolutely no reason why he hasn't got 1 more year of qualify footy in him, has been hitting the line at speed and his enthusiasm lifts the side

Mateo - His 1st 2 games of the season were outstanding, he then got injured and came back slowly, but the last 3 weeks he has lifted and gotten better every game, his footwork always seems to beat the 1st man and he is throwing some high quality balls, 2 examples tonight are 1 on the inside to Stewart, and then the 1 to Matai. If we can't get anyone else, I could live with him at 6 for a year

Horo - since he cracked back into the side, he has run very hard, aggressive, straight lines every week and is putting a dent into the defences, tackling strongly also. With how he is hitting the ball there will be an error or 2 occassionally though

Personally I'd be looking to keep all 3 if situations allowed, if I had to sacrifice 1 it would be Horo. Mateo is a must keep for me for his point of difference, an X factor type that can turn a game out of nothing, but you live with the risk that sometimes he won't come off. Can never have enough front rowers IMO and for the right price Willie still offers enough to the side to keep going

Everyone played well. Foran's kicking options were way off on 3 occasions and when he went off we didn't notice till they showed him in the stand.

Well done Manly, soar up the ladder!!!

Pretty much sums it up for me as well KE. Although, I'd keep Mateo as an X factor in the forwards. I've said it before, but don't think we need to look outside for our 6. Killer for two years while we blood Riley Travers in NSW Cup, filling in for DCE at Origin time.

Yep, I'd be sorry to see any of them go. Mason brings a whole lot more to the team than just another prop. Control, intimidation, good media talent, great club man. Did you see how he went up after our first try in the second half? Gold...

Mateo is a must and if,as reported,Penn and Bozo have tapped him on the shoulder,I worry what direction they are taking the club.Horo only plays well around contract time.Sao looks better every game he plays and Hodges was much better tonight and if for nothing else Ballin has played his two best games last two weeks

Fully agree that Sao is a must keep

I like Lui's style of play, but does seem like he will be going back to Brisbane by all reports. Happy to let Luke Burgess depart, Chee Kam just hasn't come through so would probably have to cut him loose too. Love the Wolfman but he is probably another that will be on the way out. Throw Foran into that list and there is 5 gone from the top 25

Contract year or not I'm loving the effort of these boys.
Guarantee them a contract if Manly make the eight.

Mase just keeps going forward and looks like he's enjoying his footy at Manly. Mateo is starting to show his talent now that he is over his injuries and fits nicely into the team's style of play.

Willie I have never really had a problem with. He's been good for the most part considering he's not the afro wearing spring chicken he was in 2005. He's like a big kid really and his enthusiasm for a 35 year old is something the younger guys in the NRL could learn from.

Mateo is rocks and diamonds. That pass to put Matai into a gap tonight was a pearler. On the other hand he threw one ball to Snake that no one could have caught. No issue with his defence though.

Horo I actually like as a player. I just wish he played every game like he was playing for a contract.

I don't think Mason will play to a lesser level next year, he still has energy and a good attitude. I'd keep him.
We ditched the shiit seats at half time and parked ourselves right behind the sticks....bloody brilliant...you had no problem hearing Willy firing up, and giving it to Myles. Then scores a try that just said I want to play here for another year...god he was great to watch and listen too...@:D

Hodges and Sao will also be in that mix of who to keep.

Hodges looked a lot better with timing, choice and delivery tonight.

Sao is improving and if it comes down to him or Willie i would keep Sao as he has a lot longer left and offers a similar overall impact and in theory should be hitting his peak in 2-3 years.

Hodges might be surplus to Barrett's 2016 plans considering we're getting Koroisau.

Sao is a keeper. He'll be around a lot longer than Mason, Mateo, Horo, Burgess or BJ will be.

They all went better then Myles tonight. I'm a Horo fan. He does plenty of hard stuff which goes unnoticed, but when injury free, he is a proven hard nut and a consistent performer. Keep.

Mateo's game is developing nicely at Manly. He still has the 10 brilliant off loads a game, but the stupid one's have dramatically decreased already this year and turned into the singular one tonight. Give him another 12/24 months in our systems and he could be the best player in the comp. Mateo is a Definitely keep. Give him the right motivations and training and wow.

I want to keep them all. If we have to loose someone I'd say Big Willie's age goes against him. Still think at 36 he is the bloke u want on a second tier contract. Hey it may only be 40 k a year but the Fox appearances would make it worth his while staying with us alone. Sure would be awesome depth being able to call upon the big Willie or Vaves from the twos if we have a similar injury toll next year.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6