Marty Taupau challenges his critics: ‘Say it to my face’

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

castle eagle

Bencher
Tipping Member
MANLY firebrand Marty Taupau has a blunt message for all the haters who label him a grub: “Say it to my face.”

The New Zealand enforcer has gained a cult following with his monster hits, explosive lifts and his infamous throat-slitting gesture in the Anzac Test last year.

But critics have taken aim at Taupau in recent weeks following his one-match ban for a high shot on Cronulla’s Jack Bird.

Prior to this year, Taupau has only been suspended once when he was outed for three weeks for dangerous contact on James Maloney in 2015.

The 26-year-old faces the New Zealand Warriors pack this Saturday in Auckland, and has challenged those back-stabbing him to front him in person.

“Everyone knows I’m this aggressive grub, there are so many things,” he said, tongue-in-cheek. “Grub, aggressive, angry man, enforcer. But you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do to produce the goods on the field.

“If that’s it, then so be it. Words (like grub) get thrown around, conversations. I don’t really care if you call me a grub or not but it would be nice if they said it to my face.

“I am overly-competitive and I love the challenge when people doubt your ability. I love it. I love putting my foot forward and saying: ‘Hey, you said I couldn’t do this but I am doing it, 100 per cent’. There are times when people don’t like it but that’s the nature of the beast.”

Taupau has become one of the rugby league’s most explosive forwards, with his on-field aggression.

Asked did he agree with the names he was being called or resent them, Taupau said: “Neither. It does affect me at times, but not in a negative way.

“People could say they don’t really care — it is what it is. Everyone judges a person by the way they play their football, whether it’s soft or not. But it’s totally different to the person you are off the field.”

Taupau has quickly earned his firebrand tag. He is tough, willing and a cult figure.

“It is what it is,” he said. “It’s not anything that I have asked for. It’s just my persona, the person that I am on the field. You have to do it, especially being in the forwards, you have to bring that aggression. It’s just the way that I am,” he said.

“Whatever comes of it, I’ve just got to enjoy it and tag along with it.”

Taupau is a throwback when rugby league was fire-and-brimstone and players went at it aggressively and without fear.

“It’s nice to watch the good old ‘70s and ‘80s and see the swinging arms and then they get back up. They hated each other and you tried to get it over your mates,” he said. “But then afterwards you would go into the opposing sheds, shake hands and say ‘good game, see you next week’.

“I wish it was like that these days but you have to look at player welfare as well, and look after the player’s longevity.”

Taupau will be called on to match and overcome the giant Warriors pack at Mount Smart Stadium. It will be significant challenge against a Warriors side which has won successive matches.

Taupau denied there was more ‘spice’ given he too was a Kiwi.

“Not really, it’s more about trying to get a win, especially after the Souths loss,” Taupau said. “We have to be tough — they have big boppers, big players. It will be a huge task for us but for us having Jake Trbojevic back, we will be looking to regroup, see what we need to fix up and we’ll go from there.

“Every individual takes it upon themselves to try and spark something to lead the pack. This is another opportunity for us to show what we can produce.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/0e26f21d9342b8d6b04e77c0f7ce3bcb

MANLY firebrand Marty Taupau has a blunt message for all the haters who label him a grub: “Say it to my face.”

The New Zealand enforcer has gained a cult following with his monster hits, explosive lifts and his infamous throat-slitting gesture in the Anzac Test last year.

But critics have taken aim at Taupau in recent weeks following his one-match ban for a high shot on Cronulla’s Jack Bird.

Prior to this year, Taupau has only been suspended once when he was outed for three weeks for dangerous contact on James Maloney in 2015.

The 26-year-old faces the New Zealand Warriors pack this Saturday in Auckland, and has challenged those back-stabbing him to front him in person.

“Everyone knows I’m this aggressive grub, there are so many things,” he said, tongue-in-cheek. “Grub, aggressive, angry man, enforcer. But you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do to produce the goods on the field.

“If that’s it, then so be it. Words (like grub) get thrown around, conversations. I don’t really care if you call me a grub or not but it would be nice if they said it to my face.

“I am overly-competitive and I love the challenge when people doubt your ability. I love it. I love putting my foot forward and saying: ‘Hey, you said I couldn’t do this but I am doing it, 100 per cent’. There are times when people don’t like it but that’s the nature of the beast.”

Taupau has become one of the rugby league’s most explosive forwards, with his on-field aggression.

Asked did he agree with the names he was being called or resent them, Taupau said: “Neither. It does affect me at times, but not in a negative way.

“People could say they don’t really care — it is what it is. Everyone judges a person by the way they play their football, whether it’s soft or not. But it’s totally different to the person you are off the field.”

Taupau has quickly earned his firebrand tag. He is tough, willing and a cult figure.

“It is what it is,” he said. “It’s not anything that I have asked for. It’s just my persona, the person that I am on the field. You have to do it, especially being in the forwards, you have to bring that aggression. It’s just the way that I am,” he said.

“Whatever comes of it, I’ve just got to enjoy it and tag along with it.”

Taupau is a throwback when rugby league was fire-and-brimstone and players went at it aggressively and without fear.

“It’s nice to watch the good old ‘70s and ‘80s and see the swinging arms and then they get back up. They hated each other and you tried to get it over your mates,” he said. “But then afterwards you would go into the opposing sheds, shake hands and say ‘good game, see you next week’.

“I wish it was like that these days but you have to look at player welfare as well, and look after the player’s longevity.”

Taupau will be called on to match and overcome the giant Warriors pack at Mount Smart Stadium. It will be significant challenge against a Warriors side which has won successive matches.

Taupau denied there was more ‘spice’ given he too was a Kiwi.

“Not really, it’s more about trying to get a win, especially after the Souths loss,” Taupau said. “We have to be tough — they have big boppers, big players. It will be a huge task for us but for us having Jake Trbojevic back, we will be looking to regroup, see what we need to fix up and we’ll go from there.

“Every individual takes it upon themselves to try and spark something to lead the pack. This is another opportunity for us to show what we can produce.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/0e26f21d9342b8d6b04e77c0f7ce3bcb

Go hard Marty ... like Randal, Boyd and Ron Gibbs

I bet every fan bagging him would love him in the team they support.
Tough & intimidating no doubt....but a grub?
That's the Reynolds style players who does the low blows & then hides behind team mates....that's not Kapow.

I hate this - he is of no help to Manly if he is continually suspended proving his manliness :mad:

Just run straight and skittle the opponents like Taumalolo does :lightbulb:

Like the JWH, Klemmers ect...he is simply a powerful aggressive player who made a late shot on a bloke 1 foot off the ground & got it wrong....not a common theme in his game & this intimidating style of player is the major factor missing in recent times.
Exactly what is needed if Manly are to be in this 2016 competition as a contender.

Are they still carrying on with the hit on Bird. Seriously with all the other stuff going on in the game they still harp on about it. Grub isn't the first thing that pops to mind when i think of Taupau and as others have said any team would want him on the roster.

He has to be a bit smarter with what he does on the field but his intimidation is something we have missed for a while now.

If he was at another club he'd still just be a tough prop or a firebrand but he's pulled on a Manly jersey and now they're going to try and label him a grub.
If he doesn't believe this stuff happens at Manly just ask old mate Matai.

H
I hate this - he is of no help to Manly if he is continually suspended proving his manliness :mad:

Just run straight and skittle the opponents like Taumalolo does :lightbulb:
He's been suspended twice in his career! He is aggressive & powerful...this doesn't mean he will be suspended. It's OK for players like Klemmer, Napa, Evans to be aggressive but not Taupau? I for one am glad he's a Manly player!

Well all we hear is how strong and tough he is, but on the field he is mostly invisible.
Hasn't impressed me at all, in fact he is just a Trex with cornrows:cool:

The media attention on his hit on Bird increases his likelihood of suspension now that he is in Manly colours :wondering:

We are a results driven supporter base - over to you Kapow :wait:

To be fair suspended for dangerous contact once per year for a hard hitting firebrand is pretty good, look at JWH now, he was at the top of his game ( before injury)

H

He's been suspended twice in his career! He is aggressive & powerful...this doesn't mean he will be suspended. It's OK for players like Klemmer, Napa, Evans to be aggressive but not Taupau? I for one am glad he's a Manly player!
Agreed mate. This is his 6th year in first grade and he has done exceptionally well to only be suspended twice in that time considering he is a supposed "grub" and plays the game very aggressively and competitively. So going by his record he is unlikely to be suspended again anytime soon.

This is all just paper talk and I do not think he is viewed any differently to enforcers on other teams.

"It is what it is" is becoming overused as a statement.

In most cases I'm not even sure if "it" is even "what it is"

This guy is a machine,unfortunately jealousy is a curse,of course other clubs would kill to have this beast on there roster so go suck it,we have him and that's that

Steve Matai is aggressive/competitive as well, nothing wrong with aggression!

He is surprisingly well spoken for a supposed meat head..

My advice: don't change a thing and keep bringing the Kapow!

What difference does it make if they said it to his face, that reply alone backs up their statements more.
Its not necessarily a threat like "say it while I stand here & I will smash you"
More that ethical value - prefer to see the knife coming in front rather than a knife in the back....maybe the journo's have you hook , line & sinker TC as they portray Kapow like a standover.

Well, they can and will say it to his face, as there is no punching any more and the little blokes love it.

What is important is how he handles that. I saw the tigers half Mitchell Moses get on his nerve a bit and it took a while for him to settle

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6