Maroon and White Army Facebook Page to organise home game stuff

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I had a look at their Facebook page, gees Cameron and his army members loving hammering Dave Perry at every opportunity. Poor form guys in my humble opinion

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Hamster Huey said:
Mark from Brisbane said:
Yes HH, the MWTS packages are not the "only options" for people to attend away games, we simply put these on to get people together and provide a service where it might be needed (ie transport to and from games). I, and many others, beleive the atmosphere in the midst of the MWTS is second to none...however many would prefer Cat 1 seats, by themselves and that is perfectly fine....our square peg does not fit in every hole!!

G'day Mark. I find it a little disparaging to write off non-involvement with such a dismissive comment on great seats and/or sitting on your own is a reason not to blend with the away bays.

If I'm travelling alone I have used the MWTS option to get amongst it, but for the majority of cases the games are in locations that I have mates in. There are many like me in this situation, or with a family in tow, that simply prefer a more calmer view of the game, whilst still enjoying the away bay antics from a distance.

Everybody has their own ideas on what gameday experience is 'second to none' and my point was that the club needs to recognise and work with this, and not rely on one basket to put their eggs in to draw on that support.

My view is that due to the nature of 'supporter groups', it doesn't take long for a cliche to develop and stymie it's growth. Some outsiders will come in and embrace the nature of this group after that point, while some will get the sense that it isn't for them and cut it away.

A good example is that the whole away-bay concept appears to outsiders to be a MWTS concept. No doubt your efforts have seen this area grow in patronage, but it isn't going to get any bigger without further, outside influences. But those elements will baulk at working with it if they get the impression of it being all about the MWTS!!!

HH are you suggesting the MWTS have a bad name amongst supporters?

I find that quite strange as the growth continues, perhaps not at a massive rate but it does continue to grow.....interested to hear your views!!

RL Gronk said:
I had a look at their Facebook page, gees Cameron and his army members loving hammering Dave Perry at every opportunity. Poor form guys in my humble opinion

Yep well said. The persecution of David Perry, often using disgusting language, on this FB page is completely out of line.

Mals said:
RL Gronk said:

Yep well said. The persecution of David Perry, often using disgusting language, on this FB page is completely out of line.

Yep...... that's why I 'unliked' that particular page.

Mark from Brisbane said:

I find that quite strange as the growth continues, perhaps not at a massive rate but it does continue to grow.....interested to hear your views!!

No, Mark. I'm not. I am suggesting the potential for people to avoid the away bays if they get the impression it is a MWTS thing and confuse the package as a requirement to sit there. So, not bad; just of limited appeal.

There is little in the posts from those involved in the MWTS to counter the point that the MWTS are part of the away bay, not the reason and sole occupant of it.

There is no doubt that the concept has boosted numbers in most away venues but it is a very limited reach via Silvertails to reach new potential members. If peripheral members are looking for info on attending an away game and simply find a lot of info on 'packages', when all they wanted was a ticket to sit near other Manly fans, there is a good chance they'll just cut it away and sit elsewhere.

I also burr up when anybody tells me that the MWTS (sorry, away bay) is the 'best', 'second to none' and/or 'only' way to watch our team run around in an away environment.

Using Brisbane as a good example, there are still far more fans sitting 'alone' at the game than in the away area. If the club and/or MWTS continue to tread water in reaching out to those people, then you are now seeing about the limit in how many you can get involved on game day in those bays.

Hamster Huey said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

I also burr up when anybody tells me that the MWTS (sorry, away bay) is the 'best', 'second to none' and/or 'only' way to watch our team run around in an away environment.

It may come as a surprise to you, but when we play at another teams home ground, we are the 'away' team.
Also, the supporters who find that sitting with the MWTS is the best way to watch a game, are entitled to say so, even if you don't agree with it. Your threat of 'burring up' doesn't worry any of us who enjoy sitting with the MWTS. It really is the best way to watch our team play. It's second to none to be honest.

RL Gronk said:

If you can quote what I or some other admin has said towards Perry then PM me and I will remove it immediately. On the Manly's Maroon and White Army page I myself have never said anything hateful towards Perry so it must be some other admin of the page.

Cameron

Duff said:
I'm all for anti social behaviour but if we travel in a too well organised and public group it's far too easy to be recognised by the authorities.
A more guerilla style campaign aimed at opposition hot-spots is needed.

Des, Crusher and T-Rex are our Bankstown sleeper cell then I assume.

HH, we are trying to reach out to more people, our Facebook page has almost 1000 "likes"and is growing, albeit slowly at this time of the year...we also get a fair few followers on Twitter.

But I agree with you at times there are more numbers sitting in the stands away from the core supporter area (which frustrates me but just have to accept that this is how it is)...we can't make people sit in the supporters bays, we can only suggest that they do!!

One day a few years ago we actually handed out 2000 Cards at a Queensland game inviting people to join the MWTS, the response was very poor I think I added about 25 to the mail list, so we have tried other options to bring them in under an umbrella.

I think you can also say the same about Club Membership, the club struggles to get 10,000 yet I'd estimate that in 2008 and 2011 there would have been 60,000 Manly fans at ANZ Stadium, it's really exactly the same logic as what you have expressed.

And I have never ever said that joining the MWTS at away games was the "only option", but have always said that "in my opinion" joining the MWTS was the "only way to go" (meaning that in my opinion you have more fun at games if you do).Clearly that's just my opinion and I apologise if that "burrs you up"...but sadly I am not going to change from that so every time you read my posts you are going to get "burred up"......so maybe avoid them in the future.

I am doing the best I can to spread the word....to be honest Silvertails is a very very limited resource these days,and many on here just want to be critical rather than help or offer positive suggestions, or problem areas (which at least you have done) and really the amount of people on here that are regular MWTS people I can probably count on two hands, BUT I continue to at least try!!

The best way to spread the word is "word of mouth", that's about the only other way as the Club doesn't endorse any of these "splinter groups" as such...oh sure they help me in some ways (so not having a whinge) but there's nothing "officially Sea Eagles sanctioned" about the MWTS...they work with us where there's a mutual benefit and ackowledge that we have been around for 7-8 years now, and as such have some runs on the board...but that's about it.

When I first started this off people were whinging about why the Dragons had the "Red V" and we had nothing. The club itself really coudn't do anything as such so it had to be a fan group that started this which is how the MWTS was kicked off...I never created it to be a "Brookvale Army"..and in some respects am pleased someone else wants to take the bat and run with doing that.

I don't want to be "knighted" for what I (and a few others) kicked off but people have to admit that we have at least created a great supporter group for away games...I can assure you the players have noticed and thanked me many times.

BUT we do need to continue spreading the word, so yours, and everyone elses help in doing that is appreciated.

bones said:
Hamster Huey said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

It may come as a surprise to you, but when we play at another teams home ground, we are the 'away' team.
Also, the supporters who find that sitting with the MWTS is the best way to watch a game, are entitled to say so, even if you don't agree with it. Your threat of 'burring up' doesn't worry any of us who enjoy sitting with the MWTS. It really is the best way to watch our team play. It's second to none to be honest.

I speak with a few Manly supporters that move outside the MWTS circle and that is the gist of their comments. As I indicated, they are wrong to assume what they have, but if it is their initial thoughts then the question 'why' needs to be asked. This is hardly painting the MWTS in a negative way.

Your response does indicate a factor that I touched on previously. Supporters groups across all areas of sport do develop their own cliques and emotions, and sometimes it actually acts as a deterrent for new people to get involved, particularly on a repeat basis. For those amongst it, it is difficult to distinguish the trees from the woods when comprehending that matter.

I have never suggested that people shouldn't feel that their own experience with the MWTS is best for them; I noted that it has suited me in the past when the situation dictates. I just have no time for anybody telling me that it is the best/only way for watching Manly away.

Mark from Brisbane said:
HH, we are trying to reach out to more people, our Facebook page has almost 1000 "likes"and is growing, albeit slowly at this time of the year...we also get a fair few followers on Twitter.

But I agree with you at times there are more numbers sitting in the stands away from the core supporter area (which frustrates me but just have to accept that this is how it is)...we can't make people sit in the supporters bays, we can only suggest that they do!!

One day a few years ago we actually handed out 2000 Cards at a Queensland game inviting people to join the MWTS, the response was very poor I think I added about 25 to the mail list, so we have tried other options to bring them in under an umbrella.

I think you can also say the same about Club Membership, the club struggles to get 10,000 yet I'd estimate that in 2008 and 2011 there would have been 60,000 Manly fans at ANZ Stadium, it's really exactly the same logic as what you have expressed.

And I have never ever said that joining the MWTS at away games was the "only option", but have always said that "in my opinion" joining the MWTS was the "only way to go" (meaning that in my opinion you have more fun at games if you do).Clearly that's just my opinion and I apologise if that "burrs you up"...but sadly I am not going to change from that so every time you read my posts you are going to get "burred up"......so maybe avoid them in the future.

I am doing the best I can to spread the word....to be honest Silvertails is a very very limited resource these days,and many on here just want to be critical rather than help or offer positive suggestions, or problem areas (which at least you have done) and really the amount of people on here that are regular MWTS people I can probably count on two hands, BUT I continue to at least try!!

The best way to spread the word is "word of mouth", that's about the only other way as the Club doesn't endorse any of these "splinter groups" as such...oh sure they help me in some ways (so not having a whinge) but there's nothing "officially Sea Eagles sanctioned" about the MWTS...they work with us where there's a mutual benefit and ackowledge that we have been around for 7-8 years now, and as such have some runs on the board...but that's about it.

When I first started this off people were whinging about why the Dragons had the "Red V" and we had nothing. The club itself really coudn't do anything as such so it had to be a fan group that started this which is how the MWTS was kicked off...I never created it to be a "Brookvale Army"..and in some respects am pleased someone else wants to take the bat and run with doing that.

I don't want to be "knighted" for what I (and a few others) kicked off but people have to admit that we have at least created a great supporter group for away games...I can assure you the players have noticed and thanked me many times.

BUT we do need to continue spreading the word, so yours, and everyone elses help in doing that is appreciated.

Thanks for understanding that I am not being critical for the sake of it.

It is a very clear issue from my experience so if the club is serious about getting the most out of their away support, then they need to be more pro-active about how they go about it.

And if the MWTS wants to use its profile to get more bums on seats in the away area then it needs to be careful not to blur that line between what it is trying to sell and the experience it helps provides at the match.

Thanks for taking the time to read/respond.

Well I'm telling you to support Manly as it's the best club!

I think you're both top posters/supporters and I reckon that on another day....this thread may have gone another (happier) way.

Now don't go all china/japan on us.

Or ignore me and carry on, I'm about to have pizza for dinnah!

I don't like the word army in a supporter group in rugby league circles as it reminds me of the Bulldogs army and all the bad press they get. I am not implying manly would get up to the crimes they have but it does have some sort of a stigma to it when i hear it.

Jonesyv2 said:
I don't like the word army in a supporter group in rugby league circles as it reminds me of the Bulldogs army and all the bad press they get. I am not implying manly would get up to the crimes they have but it does have some sort of a stigma to it when i hear it.

What's the place that eagles congregate called (not a nest that what is in layman's terms) but the other thing

HH (my last word)....I haven't taken your comments as being overly critical, I was genuine in wanting to know if in your circle the group is disliked, and if so why.

I haven't been "banging on" after each of your posts to prove a point, or have the last say, only to continue the discussion and get an idea of what you and the circle you are in think are the issues, and if we can amend something to fit better we will.

The main thing I have learnt is that you think that people think that the away supporters bays are the domain of only the MWTS...not sure how we can change that as they clearly are not, we may have initiated the idea of people sitting together (back in the pre supporter bay days) but we certainly didn't make it happen with the NRL and certainly don;t control in any way the seating in these.

But as we know no group will ever be everything to everyone.....you only have to read on here the bagging the Eagles themselves get at times to see that, but every organisation should be able to take comments and improve as a result.

As far as I am concerned...end of discussion!!

PS: Wonder how poor Cameron feels as his topic has been hijacked big time!!

globaleagle said:
Well I'm telling you to support Manly as it's the best club!

I think you're both top posters/supporters and I reckon that on another day....this thread may have gone another (happier) way.

Now don't go all china/japan on us.

Or ignore me and carry on, I'm about to have pizza for dinnah!

I'm not unhappy Global, takes an awful lot to get me upset....after almost 40 years in the travel industry if you didn't have patience you'd have jumped off Sydney Heads by now...I was just curious at the comments made (which I hadn't heard anywhere before)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2