Manly's Jamie Lyon to apply for exemption from rep football

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
Manly's Jamie Lyon to apply for exemption from rep football
By John Marsh | February 26, 2009 12:00am
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25109733-5006066,00.html

MANLY centre Jamie Lyon could be  making his final appearance on the international stage this Sunday after confirming he will formally apply for exemption from representative football upon his return home.
Lyon, 27, caused a storm last year when it was revealed he had informally told NSW coach Craig Bellamy he did not want to play for the Blues and was duly overlooked.

Lyon also played no part in last year's World Cup.

Lyon, who has played six Tests, heads into this weekend's World Club Challenge officially available for Country, NSW and Australia in 2009 but told AAP: "I feel like I'd rather leave that to someone else and concentrate on club footy.

"I think the reason there was bit of drama before was because I hadn't written a letter. So I'll sit down with Dessy (Hasler) and figure out what to do.

"We'll do it sometime early in the season."

Lyon has indicated his desire to end his career in Britain. ARL chief executive Geoff Carr did not want to speculate on what his board might rule but said that Lyon did appear to have a good case for exemption.

"He was playing for Australia when he was still very, very young so on the surface of it he would qualify. But he has to request that in writing and we haven't received anything yet."

The Eagles had Wednesday off with some players visiting historic York while most remained at the Leeds Marriott base. Coach Hasler has scheduled two training runs for Thursday.

Both sides are due to be named just after midday with Matt Diskin to deputise for the injured Danny Buderus while much speculation surrounds the availability of England half Rob Burrow (back).

The Rhinos have been training behind closed doors while Manly held an open session on Tuesday.

Captain Matt Orford - on his first visit to the UK after a run of outs with representative selectors - said he was looking forward to playing against Burrow.

"He's light but so am I," said halfback Orford. "He's a smart half. He's very crafty. He's got a great kicking game.

"It doesn't matter what size you are, you can still read the game and still obviously control things in the middle there. He's been there for a while and he does that well for them."

Lyon, meanwhile, said 34 second half points against Harlequins last week - and just six against - was not a strong enough performance to guarantee victory this week.

"We've got to improve on that," he said. "There was a bit of razzle dazzle and some good tries but I don't think it will be as open as that against Leeds.

"It will be a lot tighter, a lot tougher, a bit of an arm-wrestle. That's what we'll be training for."

I think it's a bit odd that someone has to apply to NOT be picked.  Surely one who is picked has the right to not accept.  Whatever happened to the rights of people? 

Players have the right to decline any rep position. In that case though, unless injured, they have traditionally been unable to play for the club side on the weekends in which Rep players stand down.

Excellent, hopefully Kite/Stewarts X 2 a few others follow his lead, it was great watching Melbourne decimate themselves in last years Origin series

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6