Manlys inept Attack

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

XV-1

First Grader
I had a look at the table today and our attack is 23 points behind the 2nd worse team in the NRL. The much maligned Sharks

This was brought home watching the 2nd half against the Cowgirls. We had enough possession to win 3 matches. Yet we scored one try. WTF

What is the root cause if out woeful attack?

What can 2V and the playing roster do to make it a whole lot better. ?

I didn't see DCE do anything in attack on Saturday, it was like he wasn't even playing. Best way to improve things is to get guys back on the park.

Injuries and combinations really stifle the attack. Defence is quicker to recover and we have improved big time there having leaked only 45 points in our last 4 games.

image.jpg

The problem with our attack is two fold in my opinion. We don't get a good enough roll on in the forwards which means all our plays are run against a set defence line, and injuries have meant that week in week out we have different combinations in different positions. You need to keep the same team on the park for a few weeks for everything to click and run smoothly like a well oiled machine. That's why you see teams really click after the first 1-2 months of the competition.

I also think the criticism of Matt Ballin is maybe a touch (only a touch) unfair. Yes he is slowing down a little, but he would be much more effective if he was working off the back of a solid foundation in the forwards. One of his strengths in the past was that he delivered the ball to our two brilliant halves when there was an opportunity, rather than play for himself like a lot of fancier hookers would in that situation.

With a bolstered forward pack next year, and the potential backflip of DCE, our attack should return to something resembling our former self.

Whilst our attack hasn't been great this year, I actually thought we looked dangerous on Saturday night. Ok it didn't result in an avalanche of points, but I did think we were looking likely to score, whereas in previous weeks I couldn't say that.

I cant disagree though with whats been said, firstly injuries have cruelled us, so combinations are lacking, and we aren't getting the roll through the forwards that others get.

We lack variety around the ruck. We need some creativity there to draw in the defences to give our halves the chance to create opportunities. To be fair it's been so hard to do this with so many injuries this season. Great to see the defence improve but we are 7.points a game down on average compared to last year.

Our centres are too old and too slow. Jamie Lyon has not scored a try this season. As good as he has been - in fact I have him my best Manly team ever - Jamie probably should have retired last year. Foran also hasn't scored a try.

Our centres are too old and too slow. Jamie Lyon has not scored a try this season. As good as he has been - in fact I have him my best Manly team ever - Jamie probably should have retired last year. Foran also hasn't scored a try.
Um, we just resigned our centres for two more years....

I hope they backflip!
Seriously, I have loved the way Matai and Lyon have played over the years but they are just not the players they were.
I said this earlier this year and got shot down - if Killer wants to stay in the centres he has to get in better shape. What worked when you were younger, even a couple of years ago, doesn't when you get into your thirties.

Every attacking play initially stems from the go forward of our pack. From there Balin can weave his magic with quick play the balls, the halves then come into play with different options who inturn find gaps for the centres or a back rower lurking in the fringes. It all stems from the forwards, if they do nothing with little intimidation and go forward everthing else stops.

I said this earlier this year and got shot down - if Killer wants to stay in the centres he has to get in better shape. What worked when you were younger, even a couple of years ago, doesn't when you get into your thirties.
Hard to disagree. I think him losing a few kegs could improve his speed a touch. That and Shirvo to give him a few pointers.

4 games this year we have scored the same number of trys as our opponents and lost the game.

Better goal kicking/ field goals and we would be on 16 points sitting fifth. Get a grip of yourselves people. We're playing good football the last month and a half and if anything have just been unlucky.

Honestly half this ****s all in our heads.

4 games this year we have scored the same number of trys as our opponents and lost the game.

Better goal kicking/ field goals and we would be on 16 points sitting fifth. Get a grip of yourselves people. We're playing good football the last month and a half and if anything have just been unlucky.

Honestly half this ****s all in our heads.
We only have one trick. The old sweep it out the back to snake trick. Therefore all our tries are scored in the corner. If we try to come up with something different, maybe then we might have a shot in front. Don't hold your breath though.

Well summed up fLIP ....not as bad as it reads on the table considering cashing in on a few games that were in the balance, is the difference between 5th & 16th....
All true about the ruck area, not controlling the games tempo & lack of punching holes directly through the middle on the back of slow service & apart from Jake - usually dominated in the contacts up front & its forcing plenty of sideways plays.
The Cows gave an example of this Sat night when they beat us 2 tackles prior to the winning try from their own half, when a speedy play the ball was so advantagous for a blind side scoot, with holes behing the ruck a truck could have gone through.
With half a season left - the team improving & extra troops becoming available Manly will gather momentum in attack & if able to improve the go forward tempo & energy around the ruck, the points will flow.

IMO we have had just far too many injuries.

It is extremely challenging to go into games with key players missing and our attack will suffer as a result. Was at the game on Sat night and honestly it was damn heart breaking, Tom missed out on a try and we bombed a few other opportunities. And this was against a team with a huge forward pack and our halfback missing etc, etc.

Jaime Lyon had an amazing game and yes he may be aging, but he was on fire. He may not be as fast as he used to be, but he is still an incredible player and there is no way in the world I would not choose to have him in our team this year or next. Matai looked a bit battered on Sat night and I was not sure if he was stuck together with sticky tape.

When we have a fit team our attack can most definitely be a force, our defence has improved in the past weeks which is great to see. Maybe if anything though we could try and get a bit faster around the ruck, get quicker play-the-balls. Move up faster and not allow oppostion teams as much time to get on side. Minor things that could make a difference, but hey I am no expert.

And the only other thing that is a concern is the behind the scenes crap, how can our team and coach focus when you have monkeys running the joint??? The media are also no help, mongrels.

Our boys and coach need a good dose of confidence and support, not negative, white anting crap from our management or the media. :mad:

Go Manly.....!!

Last edited:
We havent had our preferred starting lineup on the field once this year. Particularly in the backs where we have had a constant seesaw of different combinations.

and we never will with Buhrer gone for the season.

add to that our 2 starting props from last year have played less than an hour of footy between them.

There is only 1 way to go.

This week we could see 3 players back in Mateo, Starling and DCE which would make it the strongest line up all year.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6