Manlys Fitness and Don Singe

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
But we aren't a proper top 4 side this year, due to a number of factors. What the last 10 weeks have shown is we are a competitive team below that level, big losses against 2 top sides and in every other game we have been competitive

It seems that if we lose to a top side we are ****, and if we beat any other side they are **** ?
Totally agree.Best example was last night.Broncos smash Titans and people say how good they are,two weeks ago manly smash Titans and they say it was only the Titans so don't get carried away

Mateo is another fatty.

On the other hand Brett Stewart and Willie Mason look as fit as I have seen them in 3 years.

But we aren't a proper top 4 side this year, due to a number of factors. What the last 10 weeks have shown is we are a competitive team below that level, big losses against 2 top sides and in every other game we have been competitive

It seems that if we lose to a top side we are ****, and if we beat any other side they are **** ?
If you really think our fitness and constant injuries have nothing to do with us not being a true top 4 contender then I'm not sure what to say. Btw i agree with your summary of where we stand in the order of the ladder i just think fitness can help improve our position.

Last edited:
Yes we won with 13 players left on the park for the entire 2nd half but still doesn't change the fact our players are overweight. The game played well into our favour with how bad NZ where and the amount of stoppages there where to let us off the hook.
If Warriors play high energy up tempo footy we would of ran out of gas and got run down. Lucky for us SJ was out of the game.
Still a solid effort to win the way we did!
Exactly!

Totally agree.Best example was last night.Broncos smash Titans and people say how good they are,two weeks ago manly smash Titans and they say it was only the Titans so don't get carried away
Yes but for your point to be correct we need to be on par with the Broncos next week. Titans are playing so bad that any team can put a score on them atm. Im coming off as being massively negative but i said the same things after we beat the Titans and people were thinking we would beat the Cowboys...

apt summary
Agreed. Cows, Donkeys and Rorters are a cut above this year, with $ouffs, Scum and Mutts the "second tier" so to speak. Aside from our disastrous start to the season I think we are as good as anyone from 7th on the ladder down, and we've knocked off the Scum twice. It's been a tough year, if we keep showing some pride in the jersey like today's game I'll be happy :)

Yes but for your point to be correct we need to be on par with the Broncos next week. Titans are playing so bad that any team can put a score on them atm. Im coming off as being massively negative but i said the same things after we beat the Titans and people were thinking we would beat the Cowboys...

Betting none of them were thinking we would lose our halfback for over half the game.

A bit like todays game, if they hadn't lost Johnson things would have been a lot tighter one would think. A top 8 team just lost convincingly to a bottom 4 team who played with no reserves for the last 30 minutes.

Anyone watching Premier League?

Vave looks extremely overweight. So too, does Tyson Andrews. Andrews was a machine when he first got here.

Demetriou from NYC looks to be slightly overweight.

I was worried when Glenn Stewart himself claimed that Souths Strength and Conditioning coach claimed he was really out of shape.

That leads me to first grade.

Peta Hiku is shameful. Far too overweight, to the point that he has lost all his pace.

I also think Lyon has a lot more timber than he had at Parramatta and St Helens.

I always thought Singe had Jason King out of proportion. Too much top weight, and not enough leg muscle, and i worry Ligi Sao is heading that way.

Don't know if anyonr has seen JMie Buhrer lately, but like Hiku, looks to have swallowed a sheep.

I worry about Jake Trbojevic. Don't want him to become top heavy.

Is it me, or as a club, have we become too overweight, slow and unfit?
Preaching to the choir dude...

If you really think our fitness and constant injuries have nothing to do with us not being a true top 4 contender then I'm not sure what to say. Btw i agree with your summary of where we stand in the order of the ladder i just think fitness can help improve our position.

The biggest factor is us not being a true top 4 contender, is that I don't think we had the squad to go with those top 4 teams

If we are gauging our fitness though, I'd suggest that after a 5 day turnaround, an international flight and no troops left on the bench, then it can't be the massive issue that some may think it is

There is more to fitness than body shape

the reserves need to improve defensively, they were wilting towards the end of the game, it had a lot to do with errors with the ball, they had chances to wrap it up with 20 to go and didnt do it. Very pleased that the effort was there.

The biggest factor is us not being a true top 4 contender, is that I don't think we had the squad to go with those top 4 teams

If we are gauging our fitness though, I'd suggest that after a 5 day turnaround, an international flight and no troops left on the bench, then it can't be the massive issue that some may think it is

There is more to fitness than body shape

This ^

Maybe Donny and Tooves want some extra bulk on them, doesn't mean they are unfit?
Maybe Donny and Tooves want some extra bulk on them due to the long season?
Maybe Donny and Tooves want some extra bulk for a reason us "armchair" critics don't comprehend?
Maybe Tooves had/has another plan for Hiku that hasn't come to fruition due to the horror injury run?

I have no idea what Donny and Tooves plan/strategy is and I too am disappointed with some of our performances but up until this year of turmoil, I have never heard fans call for the head of the trainer/s from any club.

I think the donkeys and the rorters have the best strength and conditioners and practices in the nrl - but also have a lot more money to spend on their resources, physios, gyms, recovery etc etc.

When I was studying strength and conditioning 10 years ago, I read and studied a lot of Dan Baker (strength and conditioner head coach for Broncos) I watched a lot of videos of the broncos lifting and training and they were all friggin strong! And super fit too.

Roosters head strength and conditioner Keegan Smith has been praised for turning the roosters around into a really fit, strong outfit http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...premiership-push/story-fni3gn3s-1226732518146

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-01/strength-coach-gives-roosters-steel-kenny-dowall/4990308

Another interesting read is how much the roosters and other big clubs like the bronocs spend on strength and conditioning and recovery. have a read of this! http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...sters-super-club/story-fnj45km6-1227155706552

I think the donkeys and the rorters have the best strength and conditioners and practices in the nrl - but also have a lot more money to spend on their resources, physios, gyms, recovery etc etc.

When I was studying strength and conditioning 10 years ago, I read and studied a lot of Dan Baker (strength and conditioner head coach for Broncos) I watched a lot of videos of the broncos lifting and training and they were all friggin strong! And super fit too.

Roosters head strength and conditioner Keegan Smith has been praised for turning the roosters around into a really fit, strong outfit http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...premiership-push/story-fni3gn3s-1226732518146

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-01/strength-coach-gives-roosters-steel-kenny-dowall/4990308

Another interesting read is how much the roosters and other big clubs like the bronocs spend on strength and conditioning and recovery. have a read of this! http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...sters-super-club/story-fnj45km6-1227155706552
Thanks for that last link Simon. Mind boggling. Mind blowing really. Makes me think we need to go the AFL way of a cap on support staff.

Who got MOM - Visitors here and I had to stop watching :(

Agree that the 13 cuddly, able bodied men were fit enough to beat the front runners , zero replacements left :inlove:

Some skinny bald bloke that shouldn't be in the modern game with those shoulders like a brown snake. Funnily enough he was everywhere he needed to be. Jeez I hope Tommy T doesn't mind playing wing for a couple of years.

Peta Hiku is shameful. Far too overweight, to the point that he has lost all his pace.

I also think Lyon has a lot more timber than he had at Parramatta and St Helens.

Was watching the game again earlier, and thought I'd focus on the 2 above, and have attached a couple of images, low quality but can still see enough

Can someone view those for me and then explain to me how these 2 are so horribly overweight, I just can't see it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    875.6 KB · Views: 35
Was watching the game again earlier, and thought I'd focus on the 2 above, and have attached a couple of images, low quality but can still see enough

Can someone view those for me and then explain to me how these 2 are so horribly overweight, I just can't see it
Going on those pics, Jamie's head is massive!

At risk of igniting a fat v muscle debate, I reckon blokes who are naturally really strong like Randall, jake trbojovic and say, Peter Kelly, will always get the better of blokes who got strong in the gym.

I remember working on strength, got pretty fit, and still got rag dolled by overweight smokers.

I reckon blokes like choc in his prime didn't need to overdo it in the gym. In beaver's book he laughs how hoppa would never do weights yet was the stronger bloke.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4